GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Normally I wear a full suit & boots. Today in Delaware was hot and speed limits were under 55 so took off my helmet and cranked up the tunes. Got to the Maryland line and had to but the bucket back on. Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on helmets and gear. I’ve been riding long enough to know gear saves lives and skin but man oh man was it a sweet ride today while it lasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

Normally I wear a full suit & boots. Today in Delaware was hot and speed limits were under 55 so took off my helmet and cranked up the tunes. Got to the Maryland line and had to but the bucket back on. Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on helmets and gear. I’ve been riding long enough to know gear saves lives and skin but man oh man was it a move ride today while it lasted.

I have to force myself to wear my modular helmet. The rest of the protective gear I have no issue wearing it all the time I'm riding. I also believe the choice to wear protective gear should always be the choice of the rider and not a mandate of the government, with the caveat that if by chance an accident occurs the unprotected rider and/or his family cannot sue for injuries that most likely would have been prevented.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I put on everything, including helmet, even if I need to take the bike to the grocery store 5 minutes from the house. Just as easy to be hit one block from the house at it is to be hit 1000 miles from home. Might sound a bit paranoid but after being hit 3 times in my riding career, I've never had to have my wounds debrided or have skin graphs because I always use my PPE. I don't have an issue with those that don't as they should have that decision but even when I ride in states with no helmet required, I am happy as a clam to leave mine right where it is...on my head.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,571 Posts
It does feel good to cruise around on back roads without a helmet. I ride without a helmet at times while riding my cruiser. I know the risk, but I like the feeling of riding without a helmet. Here in Delaware we have the choice...but the law says you have to have a helmet in your possession while riding. Its funny, I like riding without a helmet at times on my cruiser, but I always wear my helmet on my Gold Wing...its just not as pleasurable riding the Gold Wing without a helmet as it is on a cruiser.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Always wear a modular helmet, gloves, and boots. But, can be wearing jeans, short sleeve shirt, etc... never wear shorts on a bike. I have riding pants, but don't wear those around town etc. I have a mesh jacket, but I can't remember the last time I wore it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does feel good to cruise around on back roads without a helmet. I ride without a helmet at times while riding my cruiser. I know the risk, but I like the feeling of riding without a helmet. Here in Delaware we have the choice...but the law says you have to have a helmet in your possession while riding. Its funny, I like riding without a helmet at times on my cruiser, but I always wear my helmet on my Gold Wing...its just not as pleasurable riding the Gold Wing without a helmet as it is on a cruiser.

Didn’t know that but about having to keep a helmet with you in DE, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
There were times that I did not wear a helmet, here in SC they are not required but have always worn one for the last 10 or 15 years. Started out with a full helmet, it was black so when to a half helmet, did that for a while but changed to a 3/4 and now use a Shark Evoline. I no longer ride without a helmet and my wife now uses a Shark Evoline. They are heavy but you have a choice on how you use it, full or 3/4.

Gear, I wear Sidi boots, the key is full ankle support, can walk in them all day if needed and they are Gortex lined to they can be worn in the rain with no problems. On my second pair and they need to have new soles.

Pants, I wear jeans made by Duluth. I, at one time, used "draggin" jeans, but they were not as comfortable as the Duluth ballroom jeans I now wear.

Shirt, depends on the weather, cold weather, a skin tight shirt that I can wear my heated jacket liner over with comfort with a leather jacket over that.

Warm weather, a cotton long or short sleeved shirt and a mesh jacket with additional padding.

Hot weather, depends on the humidity. I have no problem wearing the mesh jacket when the humidity is low, but high heat and high humid means a very hot body. I have tried he so called "cooling vests" and without low humidity I found it to be very unsatisfactory.

My rational for all he above. At my motorcycle safety class the instructor emphasized that riding a motorcycle was 90% mental and 10% physical. Which means you need to be comfortable to be safe and comfort is more important to safety than gear.

Anecdotes: I was on US 33 (I think that was the road) in WV one August. Stopped at a gas station, near place you could climb some rocks if you waned. Met two other bikers on "sport" bikes. They were what I would call ATGATT. Their faces were red, they were sweating profusely. Reminded me how important it is to be "comfortable" when riding.

Incidents: Two or three tip overs at low speed, one in a parking lot making a tight turn, broken ankle thats why the Sidi boots. Hit a deer on an interstate in WV at 75MPH on my ST on the way to Nova Scotia in 2014. Had to duck tape the side case to together, but made the trip no issues. Bike was repaired after I got home.

My riding experience is not as varied as others. I only have about 300,000 miles on two wheels since 2001. I rarely (except on some road trips) ride in dense traffic situations. My commutes back and forth to work were on back roads. But I do ride on interstates, just try and avoid heavy traffic if I can.

Your choice in gear is totally up to you. You know your riding skills, your normal riding environment, the bike your ride, all contribute to your decision on what to wear and when to wear it.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
When it’s hot out I cover exposed skin.... I wear a helmet, long sleeve shirts, pants, and closed toe shoes at a minimum. Living in the southwest the sun is brutal. I carry a outdoor hat of some kind when the helmet comes off. Ball caps haven’t been apart of my wardrobe for at least a decade.... not enough protection from the sun for your neck and face.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I've never rode without a helmet. It's just been part of something I do when riding a motorcycle. Before I could even ride on the street, my parents made me wear one. After I turned 16 it became the law for me to wear one. I'm so use to having to wear one now that I even wear one in states I don't have to.

·
Registered
478 Posts
ATGATT... I have had asphalt debrided out of my elbows and knees. Don't want to do that again. And as a paramedic and traffic homicide investigator, I know just how little impact to the head it takes to kill you.

That said, about once a quarter I take my bike out to a really bumpy and rural road, take off my helmet, and ride for about 5 minutes listening to the bike. On different bikes I found a loose bracket, a missing screw in the trunk hinge, and rattling brake caliper. None of them were audible with the helmet on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
lids

Back in 1980 a helmet saved my life in a collision with a drunk driver. Thank God I was wearing full gear. Ever since then, I don't leave home without my helmet regardless of what I ride. It made a believer out of me. :cool:

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Ok flame suit on. Down in Texas i dress according to the weather. I wear shorts most of the year unless i am riding with some harley guys that wear leather gear in the summer. After about 55 degrees and going lower in temp. i will switch to my blue jeans and tennis shoes. I wear a longsleeve game/guard shirt most of the time. I believe in wearing helmets 100 percent of the time. You can heal from some minor scrapes but when that noggen bounces off the pavement well you get the picture. I ride alot of long distance rides and try to be as comfortable as i can. I do have some ski pants i wear when its below freezing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
There was a time, when I was younger, when I rode a great many miles without a helmet. And after that I rode tens of thousands of miles wearing a non-DOT plastic head cap of a thing. Eventually I "graduated" to a real DOT approved half helmet.

Today, I always wear my Bell Mag-9 3/4 helmet. Doesn't matter if I'm riding 5 miles or 500 miles, I put my helmet on. Truth be told this Mag-9 is so comfy that I don't mind having it on. The shield is usually up but its very nice having the built in sun visor too, and the vents on top and in back let it breathe really well.

I'm gradually moving towards an ATGATT stance. Not quite there yet, but I know that's where the road is leading for me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here in Michigan we used to have a helmet law and that changed a few years ago. Now I am not putting anyone down or pointing fingers, from what I have seen and noticed is its mostly Harley riders that go without helmets. Its very rare to see a Goldwing or rocket rider without a helmet. I wear a helmet for lots of reasons besides a crash. 1. my wife rides her own bike so we have bike to bike coms on our helmets. 2. I have grandkids and I want to set a good example. 3. Have you ever heard a stone crack off your windshield at 70mph? If it hit you in the forehead it could knock you out or off the bike. 4. Bugs need I say more. Heck I even wear a helmet in the slingshot for all the same reasons.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hit my head hard 2x in 45 years of riding. Helmet both times. Who knows? Maybe w/o the helmet the first time I'd be a vegetable in some state-paid long-term care facility that you all would be paying for still today!

But what I REALLY like in this picture is the strong "no texting" caution they give. As a victim of a texting driver I'd say that is great to see (even if their enforcement isn't what I'd like it to be).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I’ve crashed with all the gear and without gloves & jacket, but never without a helmet. I remember thinking, as I was sliding through gravel & rocks and realizing my helmet face shield was plowing rocks, I’m GLAD I'M WEARING A HELMET!

You only need it if you crash! The rest of the time it’s just added weight.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It depends.

Today I have full gear minus riding jeans for my commute to work.
Some days I'll wear regular shoes and jeans, but everything else.
Some days I'll technically have ATGATT, but it will include "summer gloves" which are definitely not my fall full leather gauntlets, and riding jeans which are good but lack impact protection (pads).
Some days I'm full Aerostich R3 with high touring boots and leather gauntlets.
There has also been a small handful of days where I went full squid with jeans, gloves, a tee shirt, backpack, and nothing else for a run to the store

Point is that if we are honest with ourselves, I would venture to guess that 50-70% of us are MoTGATT (most of the gear all of the time) and we all assume risk based on what we fear, understand, and experienced. For me, I can't go without a helmet and gloves (I've only done that a few times), and struggle to wear normal shoes on a bike, but am flexible with other attire. I know what would happen even at a "low" speed get off, but some days I just want to feel the wind on my skin.

·
Registered
640 Posts
safety gear

I rode for probably 30+yrs without a helmet as Conn doesn't require one.In recent years I've been wearing one 99% of the time. Visiting my wife's cousin in NH which also doesn't require helmets we went out for a ride and was tempted to let the wind run thru my disappearing locks. Well, that was the day that a full grown bear decided to cross the road in front of us at about 60mph. By the time we intersected I had slowed the bike down to about 10mph pushing the bear down the road while laying the bike down. We didn't get hurt but as we went down my wife and I banged heads and her head tapped the pavement. Needless to say if we weren't wearing helmets the outcome may have been quite different. So now if I just go down the street for a pack of gum, I'm wearing a helmet. If you get run over by an 18 wheeler at 80mph a helmet probably won't save you, but...… your choice. I even had some clown want to have a confrontation with me because I chose to wear a helmet. Takes all kinds!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Helmet 100% of the time. One of my best friends and his wife went to a local ice cream join less than 2 miles from their home. Decided helmets were not needed. Rural area, not city. A lady going to the same ice cream parlor turned left in front of them and they went down.

Luckily, his wife was OK, but his head hit the ground rather hard. He is OK now, but he did not ride for almost a year and his wife was too scard to ride for more than 2 years.

You must protect the eggshell!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts