GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever owned a Schuberth helmet? I like the idea of the interior sunshade while being able to leave the face shield up. I like the Nolan with the sunshade but the face shield has to be down for the sunshade to be used. Open to any suggestions and info. :?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I like the Nolan with the sunshade but the face shield has to be down for the sunshade to be used.
not quite true

Open to any ... info.
You can have the clear faceshild open about a inch and a half and still use the dark sunshade on the Nolan.
... it lets in PLENTY of air like that and you have the dark shield in place.

Dennis

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wingwing said:
I like the Nolan with the sunshade but the face shield has to be down for the sunshade to be used.
not quite true

[quote:18c12z3o]Open to any ... info.
You can have the clear faceshild open about a inch and a half and still use the dark sunshade on the Nolan.
... it lets in PLENTY of air like that and you have the dark shield in place.

Dennis[/quote:18c12z3o]

Thanks for the info Dennis. I have not heard from anyone owning the Schuberth but it looks quite bulky and I am also not sure if a headset system would fit.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Redeye has a Schuberth, headset and all. I know it works - it runs overtime. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetiings,

I own a Schubert C2 and it is an awesome helmet but is not, I repeat, is not suited to a headset installation.

The helmet is designed to fit closely and there are virtually no ear pockets for speakers. There are NO replacement parts available and you literally have to tear the helmet apart to install speakers. Screw it up and you have a $500.00 anchor.

Schubert North America does not recommend headset installs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just bought two of the Nolan N-Com 102 helmets. I think we are really going to like them. I installed the J&M Elite headsets. I haven't had a chance to try them on the bike yet, but they were easy enough to install and the installation looks like it should hold up well.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Wife and I have the Nolan's...we have J&M Elite 477 headsets installed...sound is good with the headsets, we can easily communicate....the clear shield can remain open enugh to give lots of fresh air flow AND still use the sun shield...we are very happy with them

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I have the Nolan 102 N-Com and Edsets.
No long trips yet but so far I like them.

I installed the microphone into the face-shield.

Pictures of my install HERE

Dennis

·
Registered
871 Posts
I agree with Rikktic,

I have a Shuberth concept helmet which I no longer use primarily due to age. (about 5 yrs) So the interior is starting to shed...

I had an Autocom system on the bike at the time and installing the fairly thin speakers was a BI**H!! As has been stated, you have to disassemble the helmet and cut out significant amounts of styrofoam to make them fit.

Now that being said: Once the chore was done, the speakers sounded great. (I almost always use foamy earplugs).

Ergo's on the helmet (IMHO) are very good. The shield appears to be very resistent to scratchs and I still miss the flip down sunvisor. One handed operation of the flip is very easy. The strap securing system takes some getting used.

Would I buy another? Probably not. I am in the market for another flip, but I feel there are other less expensive helmets available with similar features and quality.

Good Luck!

Lance

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just bought a Fulmer flip, i have never had a full face because my glasses would always fog, thought i would try a ff to see if that would be better and so far i like it. I rode all day with it, both with sheild up and down to see if my glasses would fog. If i let out a big breath with the sheild down they would fog for a few seconds and then clear. I think i like this helmet, i have always had a 3/4 before.

2,731 Posts
I have a Shuberth

I have two Shuberth helmets, one for me and one for my wifie. We've had them for 5 years and love them. We have the Air Rider system installed in the the helmet and they work great! There is no problem, repeat: no problem installing the Air Rider system in the flip front Shuberth. We do not find them bulky at all, they are very quiet with the chin air dam system in below the chin and the flip down sunshield is awesome and always clean as it resides in the inner part of the helmet not outside as some other sunshields do. I love being able to put the helmet on without removing my glasses. The locking mechanism is "solid and sure" with metal pins and receivers to securely lock the flip front in place. I would give mine and wifies a "10" rating on a 1 to 10 scale with 10 being the best.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input. Now for one final question. Does anyone think the Nolan from J&M with the entire J&M headset installed by them is worth the price? I would have to buy the cordset for the bike as I have the single cord right now with the Hondaline headset and boom mike that is clamped on the left lower side of the helmet. Or would the Edset unit put in as in the N-com be the better way to go????? :? :? :?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ken,

Have you looked at the Caberg Justimo flip-front helmet? It has an interior sunshade that you can raise/lower easily via an external lever. Has a plush removeable liner. You'll have to remove a little foam to install speakers is the downside. I've had mine for over a year and am pleased with the quality (had a HJC Symax before). The Caberg's run about $280-300 depending on the vendor.

Ed W.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ed,
I have heard the name but have never seen one. Do you have a link to a site that sells them? I have decided, at the age of 67 that I am going to really do some research into what may be my last helmet. I hope not but I am trying to be realistic here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ken,

Try this link for aerostich and see if it works.
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Cab ... 17144.html

My wife bought mine at Lone Star BMW/Triumph in Austin, TX for my Christmas present and it was close to $300. I recently replaced the inside smoked visor with a silver-mirrored tinted visor and seem to get more protection from the bright sun.
One of my riding partners just ordered the new Shoei Multitech flip-lid which is supposed to be a nice helmet but I don't believe that it has a inside (or outside) tinted visor.

Ed W.

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone, :bow:
I value the opinions of everyone here because they are all GL1800 riders and they obviously have thought long and hard about all the gear they use besides the thought and care for their bikes. All I have to do now is sit down and start comparing cost, color, sizes, sunshades, noise, headset fit and above all, does the darn thing look cooooool. 8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Ken - for the Nolan helmets, if you decide to use them, the J&M installed it really the best bet. The clamp ons from J&M do not do a decent job on the 102 Nolan's. And they only do a marginal job on the Nolan 100s.

I have the Nolan 100s built ins from J&M, and have recently switched over to the HJC SyMax with clamp on J&M headsets. I find the SyMaxs have just a little more room in front of the chin, have a little better ventilation, and a whole lot better latch system. But I got to really like the chin strap setup on the Nolans.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.