GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride with 3/4 open face helmet. What do you use and why? I also look through my windshield and not over.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I also use a 3/4 and a face shield. I look over the shield, especially in the rain. Shield is usually all the way down. 3/4 helmets are quieter for me and easier to get on and off. I have a full face but hardly ever use it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Flip face for me. Currently an HJC Symax, may upgrade to a Symax II. I like having full coverage on my face. I've been hit by debris right on the face of the helmet too many times to be comfortable with nothing in front of me. I also ride looking through the windshield but have still been hit numerous times. I tried the half helmet and looked at the 3\4 but couldn't bring myself to buy one. The flip face allows you to pull it up and get a little more air at stop lights, fuel stops, etc. Many will argue that the flip isn't as safe as the full face. Probably true, but it would depend on how you hit as to whether the design would be a factor or not.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Modular flip face... all the time, just prefer the full face protection. Nolan N103.

I look through the windshield, I would prefer to look over it, but I'm not tall enough to do it with the shield all the way down, the top of the shield line is right in my line of sight.... so I raised it a few notches. Works fine.

But, in serious rain, I do have to drop it and sit up and look over the windshield...

I have found that riding it with the shield down results in a lot more buffeting of my head... with the shield raised a little, the airstream clearly goes over my helmet... making a smoother ride for me...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Full face all the time. Probably a side effect of sport bike riding, just don't feel comfortable with anything less.

Also look over the shield, again, sport bike habit. If I wanted to look through the shield I would drive the car.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Before getting my Wing, I rode a Kawasaki Voyager XII. I wore a 1/2 helmet for years riding that bike because it was so comfortable. Then I ran into an EMC nurse at a dog show. She takes the ride in the helicopter with people flown to shock trauma. When I told her I was getting a new bike (Wing) she shared her experience. Full face is the only helmet that fully protects the head and face. Now I only wear full face. I have found some full face helmets that have excellent ventiliation, so they are not too uncomfortable in the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts