GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally encouraged my S O to ride with a FF or Modular helmet. In my research of equipment (and knowing the attitude of my S O) I am convienced a Modular would be a better (1st step) transition from an Open Face helmet. Now having said that blip, I've chosen to focus on the Nolan 103 and the HJC Symax II, they being in my price range. I will probably continue with the J& M headset, as that is what we use now. The Shoei Multitec would be ok, however a bit out of my $ range. I
would appreciate any comments and useful information from users of the
Nolan or HJC Symax II. Thanks in Advance:shrug:

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
I just took delivery of a pair of Nolan 103 helmets with the 584 Elite headset installed. First of all, let me say that it takes quite a bit of getting used to, but over all, I really like it and some of its features.

Down side: It's a very tight fit, due to very thick (but removable) cheek pads. I've heard that they will loosen up a bit, but if not, you might want to think of a size larger. I found that the thinner J&M speakers were still a bit too thick and rubbed against my ears. I had to remove the pad cover over the speakers and the Velcro holding them in, and that helped a bit. I think I'm going to have to remove the speakers and dig the "indent" a bit deeper to make it more comfortable. Getting comfortable with the mic seems to be a never-ending work in progress. There's very little room between the inside of the chin-bar and your mouth, so it's impossible to get the mic even close to your mouth. I ended up cutting away some of the Styrofoam on the inside of the chin-bar to provide a little pocket for the mic.

Up side: The modular system is the greatest. Very easy to flip up and back down..., and there's almost zero vibration when riding with the chin-bar and/or the face shield up, even at highway speeds. It has a terrific flip-down sunshade which is mounted INSIDE the helmet, so you can use it even if the chin-bar is up..., and it works very well. The entire lining can be easily removed for cleaning. The Elite 584 J&M system is outstanding. I keep the volume control set at about HALF of what I had with my previous system..., and the quality of music is really nice.

I'm still evaluating the 103, but so far, even with a few issues, I like it a lot.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Whatever helmet you decide on, go to a dealer that sells them and try them on. Everyone has a different shaped head and what feels good on one person in a specific size might not feel good on someone else with that same size.

I tried the Nolan, Symax, HJC, Arai and Fulmer and went with the Shoei Multitec because it fit the best and was the most comfortable for me. Even with the higher price, there is a lot to be said for comfort. If you wear the helmet 10-12 hours at a stretch, it's worth the extra few dollars. Don't let price be your only deciding factor.

Just an FYI...the Multitec retails for about $500! Parts411.com has them for $386.87 with free shipping and no tax.

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
Given your choice I would go Nolan N103 with JM Elite 584 headsets

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've had both the Nolan and the HJC Symax II. I believe both are good helmets, well made and good quality. I had the Nolan first but never liked the distance between my chin and the chin bar of the helmet. The HJC Symax II has a little more room for me and that's the main reason I prefer it. The HJC Symax II also has the flip down sun shield on the inside of the main shield which I prefer. I agree that it's best to try them on if possible and wear them around the store for as long as you can.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have an Aria open face and love it but i want a modular for colder weather and I could care less about price, i want the best both DOT and SNELL rated, so what a shoei or nolan???

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've got the HJC Symax ll and like it, you can also get different cheek pads for a more comfortable fit (thicker or thinner) believe there is 5 different thicknesses.

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
FYI the Nolan N103 also has an INTERNAL flip shade

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
I have an Aria open face and love it but i want a modular for colder weather and I could care less about price, i want the best both DOT and SNELL rated, so what a shoei or nolan???
I have been wrong before but, i don't think any of the modulars have the snell rating.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have both. The HJC is lighter and more comfortable for me, but it is much louder than the Nolan. It is also much cheaper, I now use it exclusively. I took the headsets out of the Nolans and put them in the HJC, no problem. The sun visor on the HJC actually is very useful, now I do not have to worry about sun glasses etc.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Whatever helmet you decide on, go to a dealer that sells them and try them on. Everyone has a different shaped head and what feels good on one person in a specific size might not feel good on someone else with that same size.

I tried the Nolan, Symax, HJC, Arai and Fulmer and went with the Shoei Multitec because it fit the best and was the most comfortable for me. Even with the higher price, there is a lot to be said for comfort. If you wear the helmet 10-12 hours at a stretch, it's worth the extra few dollars. Don't let price be your only deciding factor.

Just an FYI...the Multitec retails for about $500! Parts411.com has them for $386.87 with free shipping and no tax.
I went through the same sequence but found the Scorpian EVO400 full face that fit perfect, Snell rated and only $150. Had to modify the foam in it to get a J&M headset into it and it works great.

Bruce

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your inputs. I've begin calling the cycle shops in the middle TN area to find out who offer the Nolan, Shoei, HJC merchandise. Will travel to those shops and size fit each for the best fit for my S O. It may be a week or so before I can order the helmet, but promise to be back with the info that worked best for us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts