GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , Size wise I am larger that average guy. Any guys out there my size? the wife loves riding She aprox. 5'6'' 130 Lbs. So 2 up is going to happen .
I figure an 850 V twin is as small as I want to go .
Trip dist. 250-300 miles at most & a all around town riding bike. Think'n about a Kawsaki or 1200 Wing 1986- 1990 Thx

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
1200 GS or the taller GSA with larger fuel tank

on a smaller budget, I had both the 650 and 1000 Vstrom

The Vstrom and GS are great for tall riders and comfortable for passenger as well. You can also read this for making the wing more comfortable (at 5-11 I love the wing):
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... omfortable

Like cruisers? Kawaski 1600 Nomad comes with windscreen, passenger backrest and hardbags:

I'm likely to add another Vstrom (and get a new windscreen) or a GS, maybe even a '06 FJR but that doesn't help you.

Steve

·
Registered
152 Posts
Size

The Goldwing became 1500 from 1988 through 2000. The styles were essentially the same for all years. I see no problem with your rider/corider combination.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts

I'm 6'5" & 280-ish. My wife is 5'5"
This is a 2004 GL1800 with a highly modified Diamond Custom seat, CeeBailey +4" shield, and RegRisers. Everything else that's modified will fit runts as well.
We're good for 1000+ miles per day.

Size matters.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a 1600 Nomad. I think it will fit larger riders just fine. I'm only 5'11" and have plenty of room . I put some highway pegs on the crash bars and it's a long reach for my 32" leg inseam. Don't know how comfy the pillion is as I hardly ever ride anyone. The rider seat sucks after a couple hours. Airhawk gets me thru this. Love the bike, love the comfort, love the torque, love the room, love the mileage. (44.5 mpg @ 65 mph)

Here's me on my old "Fat Boy" :lol:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
The Nomad would not work for me. It's too low. My inseam is 33" [34" pants] and I cannot ride a stock VTX for more than an hour. My friend who owns the VTX and has a 36" inseam, can't ride his own bike for an hour. But he'd rather ride a cruiser in pain than a wing in comfort.

If I were to get a different, higher seat, bring the bars up and back and make a few more adjustments [such as a backrest,] it might work out. But we're all different and there is no way to predict what bike will work out for us big guys except to spend the money and try to work it out.

The only wing I've ever ridden has been the 1800 and I know it can be made to fit us long-legged, big and tall guys. I assume the 1500 and 1200 can be made to fit as well. Many of the ideas in the link in my signature below will work on the 1500 and the 1200.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Call me LUCKY...........

I guess i'm just lucky. I'm 6'4", lean(scrawney?) 220#,35" inseam.36" pant length,35" arm length,& i've never had a problem getting comfortable on ANY 'Wing.
Owned 1100,1200,1500, & now the '05 1800.
I test rode an '01 Wing & on the one i tested, my knees hit the fairing,i had to make a concious effort to get my toe under the shift lever,& i felt cramped. That's why i didn't buy it, & kept my 1500.
Test rode an '05 & had no problems. I can not figure out why. I haven't shrunk. My wife, @ 5'4"& 140#,has ridden with me most of the time on all these motorcycles without any problems.
All my 'Wings have had some type of hiway bar so i could stretch out,'05 has Ergo II's, but the stock seats & bars have allowed us to ride gas stop to gas stop in comfort. 500-700 mile days are the norm when travelling,depending on weather & types of roads.
For 2 up touring,IMO, the 'Wing is the most comfortable motorcycle available today,altho i do think my 1500 was the most comfortable.
JMO,
the hobo

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Re: Help 6'4'' tall 240 lbs. Rider needs a bike that will f

2wing said:
Hi , Size wise I am larger that average guy. Any guys out there my size? the wife loves riding She aprox. 5'6'' 130 Lbs. So 2 up is going to happen .
Trip dist. 250-300 miles at most & a all around town riding bike. Think'n about a Kawsaki or 1200 Wing 1986- 1990 Thx
Well, I haven't been 6'-4", 240 lbs. since the summer before my freshman year of HS. I stand a bit over 6'-8" tall and am within a cheeseburger of 300 lbs. Currently I ride a GL1800 Goldwing with many of Dan Duffy's mods in place that he lists here;

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... 917#160917

I also have a VTX1800 Retro with fewer mods that allows me to stretch out pretty well (certainly better than any Goldwing). On it I've added an Ultimate Big Boy seat and a set of risers from a VTX1800 'C' model that I install "backwards" to get even more stretch (that is probably too much stretch even for most tall riders). Another nice option with that bike is the L & R Extreme forward controls which will move your floorboards forward almost half a foot. Add some highway pegs and you're golden.

They're dramatically different bikes but if you're mostly going to be using it as a city bike, you might do well to look at a used VTX1800. They're a very good, reliable machine that you can modify to fit you rather easily and there's such an abundance of them available you should be able to find a food 2002-2003 for a quarter to a third of what a new loaded Goldwing will cost.

Goos luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a 36 inch inseam. If all the above listed bikes or mods won't work for you try finding a good used Valkyrie. I have one and have PLENTY of room for all my legs using the stock pegs. Once out of the city I stretch my legs out to the highway pegs and relax.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm 6'-4" and about 260, with bad knees. Put highway pegs on, but still can't stretch out far enough to be comfortable. I bought a seat off another wing and took it to an auto upholstery shop yesterday. Am having them take almost all the foam off the butt rest and raise the seat an inch. He will do the foam work and have me bring it back to try, before installing a new cover. Am also having most of the foam removed from the passenger backrest. Not being able to stretch my knees is a killer.

I had a 1300 VTX and went for a 5 hour ride on the stock seat. Then ordered a Mustang replacement seat.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I agree with the v-strom. I heard it was comfy and a workhorse while still being fun to ride.

Mike

·
Registered
226 Posts
Honda VTX 1800 Retro :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm 6'4" and weigh more than you, and I'm quite comfortable on my GL1800 with a stock seat, Utopia backrest, and forward Kury pegs for when I want to stretch out.

I would think the Triumph Rocket 3 would be a good fit too, but haven't ridden one any distance.

·
Registered
353 Posts

2wing said:
how come you are looking at a 1200gl instead of a 1800 gl? are you looking to spend as little as possible? get the 1800 gl its worth the extra money.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Try a Valkyrie. I know several folks over 6'2" who ride them and love them, just a wing with a meaner look.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
big and tall

I'm 6 ft 3 and about 235 lbs. wing fits me ok.

·
Registered
25 Posts
6 4 240

I am 6 4 240 and my wife is 5 9 and undisclose weight but not petite. The Goldwing back seat is as good as it gets so the front seat is what it is. Mom likes her seat. I have tried different pets including Mic o pegs which a lot of people like and have not found a perfect foot peg set up yet. Kuryakyn's now but not just the total answer. Tried seat cushions and just didnt.........did a rebuild of the stock seat. 2 inchs wider, 1 inch higher, a little sit back...........left Moms part alone and it is best thing so far. Happy with the Goldwing nothing else would work at our house. I dont think they made it for bigger guys. You can make it work. Jim

·
Registered
17,125 Posts
Yep; the goldwing is the best big guy's bike I have found yet. Risers, taller seat with firmer foam and lmore room, peg re-loacaters, kick shifter, taller shield, heavier suspension springs, taller rear tire and Mic-O-Pegs. Could still use a little more boot room and my feet are not all that big (13E).

prs

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am 6'4", 225lbs and wife is 5'6" 135. We could not ask for a more comfortable ride than our GL1800. Also have a VTX 1800 and we both like the wing better. It has Mik-O-Pegs and Utopia back rest with a beaded seat from Walmart. We do 750 miles days and think nothing of it. It works great for around town and any type of riding we want to do. I dont think you can go wrong with a wing. We are trying to sell the VTX if you are interested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts