GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a Roadcrafter. However, I am trying to decide between an Classic Roadcrafter (lined) and the R3 (unlined). The R3 feels cooler, but I don't have a handle on the difference in feel between them.

I commute frequently, and ride year round. It may take a few days for snow and ice to melt off after a snow, but otherwise, I'm often on the bike.
Looking at average temps, it looks like a lined Roadcrafter may be too hot from mid-June to mid-September, but good the rest of the year. From what I am reading, it looks like a standard Roadcrafter gets hot above 85. But I have mesh I can wear in the dog days of summer. I am concerned that the R3 may not be warm enough in the winter.

Any feedback is appreciated!

I am in Denver, here's the average highs and lows:
January 49° / 20°
February 49° / 21°
March 58° / 29°
April 65° / 35°
May 73° / 44°
June 86° / 54°
July 92° / 61°
August 90° / 59°
September 82° / 50°
October 68° / 37°
November 57° / 27°
December 47° / 19°

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey! I've worn a CLASSIC since '99. The ventalation is top-shelf on the 'stitches. Sweat isnt just pouring off me. If you often ride endurance, The CLASSIC works well! Zip it up, close the vents, velcro the collar....and you're good to go. One suit-multiple conditions. I've ice-raced and did 2 seasons of motard in this suit.
If your trips are shorter and you can plan for the weather, the R-3 is a little more friendly on 90° days in stop and go traffic.
THERES JUST NO OTHER SUIT THAT COMPARES to a 'stich
I'm going to add either an R-3 or a Darian light(w/room for layers) and AD1 pants to the closet this spring. Any suit from Aerostich will do the job tho. Plus, I just LOVE the attitude of the company and employees. Good luck, RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
:agree: when it gets warm I just wet down my LDComfort shirt and tights and zip everything up but leave a little for circulation and it's just like AC!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm on my second 1 pc RC Classic. It's the most versatile piece of riding gear I own and it works across a 70 degree temperature spread (30 to 100 F) in sun or rain. I live in Florida and wear it up to 85 degrees or so then switch to mesh for day rides 85+. At all times I wear a thin heat wear long sleeve wicking shirt and poly/nylon long paints inside the RC. If colder than 55-60 degrees I add a fleece top or electric jacket, the latter really under only 55. If under 40 degrees I wear long john bottoms under pants to add a layer over my legs and don the windproof rain liner from a mesh jacket over the fleece or heated jacket. It does leak air and needs the windstopper layer in my use on bikes with less wind protection that the GW. I'm new on the GW though and it probably has the wind protection to not need the windstopper but being only 6 months on the GW I haven't ridden in temps under 40 yet.

If I am riding distance however I still wear the RC no matter the high temp because it moves air so well and it's better to ditch the mesh over 93 degrees. On day rides the Stich is too hot for me to ride in during stop and go - it needs air moving through it to keep from getting too hot thus back to mesh. On my 50 CC it was over 100 degrees for about 1500 miles of 2400 and by placing a bag of ice inside the top of the suit it was like riding in air conditioning.

I have a friend that has been through two 2 pc Classics. He tried an R3 but sent it back saying he did not like the rough unlined feel of it. I have never tried one myself.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I'm from Denver also, and have used the Roadcrafter Classic for 10yrs. I have two of them, one mostly grey, one mostly black. Don't buy black because it really gets hot. I only use it in winter, and since we don't get enough winter to bother with switching suits, I just mostly wear the grey one. It works great in all temperatures. In cold temperatures add a fleece jacket, heated jacket ect. Hot temperatures are not a problem for me at least. Sure if you sit in traffic not moving in hot weather you will get hot which will be the case with any suit. I can't compare to the R3 as I never had one, but had other things, like the Darien light= Garbage in any temperature, and another aerostich that was waxed cotton and looked and weighed like leather=complete garbage in any temperature. I bought these two thinking less would be better in hot weather, but was sadly mistaken. Be careful assuming thinner material without a lining will run cooler, sometimes not the case.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I don’t have a roadcrafter but I do have a Darien Light jacket that is an uninsulated shell. I really like it. I would never consider a lined jacket after owning this. I sized mine so I can wear a light to medium weight puff jacket or vest underneath it in colder weather. It works great. It is well vented. I can just wear the puff jacket or vest at the destination looking normal when it’s cold. Everything packs up small and light. It’s a great option.

I do admit, I don’t ride in weather quite as cold as you describe. I’m a 40 deg. and up rider.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have had a RC for about six months and 5000 miles now, and agree with all the positive comments above. The OP plans to use it for commuting, and it will fit the bill nicely, since that is where it really shines. However, if there are plans for any other than commuting, I highly recommend a two piece suit, either RC or Darien, or the R3 if available in two-piece. Once at the destination, the one-piece quickly becomes a canoe in the desert. It is not suitable for walking around, nor for eating in a a restaurant. I have a two-piece Darien and, now being retired, use it lots more than the RC. If I were still working and commuting, the RC would be first choice, hands down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For the same reasons you mention, I went with the unlined R3 and then layer underneath as needed for the cold. It is a lot easier for me to make a riding suit warmer, but the insulated feel would suck for me most warmer days.
I like how I can wear a layer when riding in a cool morning and then remove as needed as the day goes on....

The versatility was the key for me.

Joey

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once at the destination, the one-piece quickly becomes a canoe in the desert. It is not suitable for walking around, nor for eating in a a restaurant.
Thanks for the feedback. Quick question, will the Stich fit in the trunk? Right now I can fit my jacket and overpants in my trunk with my helmet, and my Olympia one-piece also will fit with my helmet.
If not, will it fit in a saddlebag?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm from Denver also, and have used the Roadcrafter Classic for 10yrs. ... It works great in all temperatures. ...
Thanks Fluke. Most people don't have experience with the wild temp swings in Colorado. There have been days it was 30* going to work, 80* coming home.
I want something for the 9.5 months of the year that range from cool to COLD. On the really hot days I can wear mesh.

The reason I asked here was most people ride naked or semi-naked bikes, I wasn't sure if the fairings on a Wing would make the Classic too hot.

Quick question, does the Roadcrafter fit in your trunk with your helmet, or in a sadddlebag?
Be careful assuming thinner material without a lining will run cooler, sometimes not the case.
Agreed. In summer I went one day without overpants, and the sun heated my jeans up to where my legs were burning. It was cooler with overpants on with the extra fabric layers absorbing and dissipating the radiant heat from the sun.

The brutal sun in Colorado is why I'm thinking the Classic may actually be cooler than the R3.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Quick question, will the Stich fit in the trunk? Right now I can fit my jacket and overpants in my trunk with my helmet, and my Olympia one-piece also will fit with my helmet.
If not, will it fit in a saddlebag?
I could not recall doing that, so just now laid it out across the bed and folded it up. No question it will fit in the trunk of my 2008 GW, though not much room left. Mine is size 42L, with all the pads.

I do not believe it would fit in the saddlebag.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could not recall doing that, so just now laid it out across the bed and folded it up. No question it will fit in the trunk of my 2008 GW, ... I do not believe it would fit in the saddlebag.
You're the man, Joe. Thanks for all the great help you provide here.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I purchased the Roadcrafter in 2002 & never looked back, although I think there is a lot of good riding gear on the market I don't there are any as good as the RC. Ditto on the two piece. not sure about the newer ones but mine could double as a suitcase, (I'm still finding storage pockets) It will fit in the 2003 trunk, no problem, not much room left over

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks Doc. Fits in the trunk with your helmet, or no?

No, just the suit, I just "Stuff" it in no problem, I use the helmet lock for the helmet. I always have a pair of shoes & a clean shirt in the bag, when I stop and am going to be there awhile I put the suit in the trunk, boots in the side bag (most times I just tuck them under the bike) lock the helmet, & i'm good to go.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My 100,000 mile work around for the 2 pc argument is to keep a 1" web belt with snap connectors in a front pocket. When I stop for an extended break, restaurant stop, or walk-around I don the belt and slip out of the top and sleeves of the 1 pc. The top just hangs down out of the way. Or take it off and stow it in the top box or pannier, lock it, whatever. Compared to the jackets and pant outfits I also own I've never noted the 1 pc as less convenient and in the unfortunate event I go down (again) the top will never separate from the bottom. YMMV.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My 100,000 mile work around for the 2 pc argument is to keep a 1" web belt with snap connectors in a front pocket. When I stop for an extended break, restaurant stop, or walk-around I don the belt and slip out of the top and sleeves of the 1 pc. The top just hangs down out of the way. Or take it off and stow it in the top box or pannier, lock it, whatever. Compared to the jackets and pant outfits I also own I've never noted the 1 pc as less convenient and in the unfortunate event I go down (again) the top will never separate from the bottom. YMMV.

Good point and thanks for that idea!, I rarely separate the two, There was a time when I would forgo the pants in favor of some other ones, that would be my only reason for the two piece. I am still wearing the one I purchased in 2002, (pretty good Uh?) complete with all the pads, (No back pad) I do remember it being quite stiff when new, it may have been more difficult getting it in the top box at that time. The biggest complaint or fear I hear from people about the "Stich" is how hot the rider gets, Well, although it does resemble a "Snowmobile" suit it isn't!, & it has been my experience that even when the temps get near triple digits, as long as I am moving with the vents open it is tolerable, getting tied up in traffic is another story, jmop

1 - 20 of 39 Posts