GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying that we need to take care of our own, and I am not belittling the seriousness of any accident involving non board members.

OK that said,

Most of you here dont know me from Adam, I live in the Houston Texas area and I am a Title Notary (the guy that comes to help you sign your home loan final papers). While that is not a big deal, I assure you that integrity is a large part of my job.

Now I am sure that among all of the board members there must be a Lawyer that could help us set up a Trust Fund to aid stricken members of this board. I realize that there could be alot of time expended on this endeavor, and I am self employed and could sure donate some of my time in the management of such a fund.

Just think, if every time one of us purchased some farkle (shiny chrome or other accessory) we simply donated an amount equal to the sales tax (about 7.5% in my case) to a fund to help board members that were involved in a serious accident (the kind that prevented us making our normal income), we could make a difference and lessen some of the stresses that come with just such an incident.

While I do not have all the ansers to the questions that will arsise from this post, I firmly believe that together we could figure it out and make a difference in the lives of those in need.

Your responses are welcomed and asked for.

Regards
KCButch

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I see that 50 people have viewed this message already and yet no responses, Whats up with that?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
While I think that this is a noble idea the logistics and handling of such a fund can lead to problems. Who would get the money? What is the threshold of financial problem? Are all board members covered or only those that contribute? Will all contributions be equal? I personaly think that each case is better handled on an individual basis. Each person is able to judge for themselves the merit of the need and can make a decision based on their ability and willingness to pay.

G

·
We have tried this before elsewhere. The problem becomes one of who is worthy of the money? Is a guy with full health insurance and job benefits entitled to it as much as someone who has none of that? Or is someone who posts a lot more entitled to it than someone who just posts once in a while?

Or what if the person had the accident because they had been out drinking? What if they seriously hurt someone else?

And on and on and on.

It can be a political minefield.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
We are mostly older adults. You should have enough funds to take care of yourself by the time you hit the 40-45 year old mark for many months. If not you shouldn't take the risk of riding a motorcycle. I've never accepted/needed handouts and I don't believe in them.

Just my opinion. I was taught early in life to cover my own a$$. Let the next person do the same! :? I'm not trying to be a hard nose, it's just my thoughts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Idea at our church is a mixture of both ways posted so far. We just pass a hat and do what we can to help for a few weeks till they are getting insurance or unemployment income. Just taking care of our own. Thanks for the idea. Heart is in the right place.

·
Registered
543 Posts
KCButch,

I commend you for the idea and for volunteering your services, but just thinking about the time and logistics of something like this gives me a headache.

You know, if people are involved in dangerous hobbies (motorcycles), especially expensive ones like Goldwings, they should really think about themselves and family first and insure they have appropriate coverage in case something happens...

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
My beer fund is getting a bit low......... :beer8: .......and I could use some help before heading to WOTS next week........ :wink:

Seriously.......I applaud you for your efforts and thinking, but I think it would be a nightmare to police and execute. I think it is better left on an individual basis.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It all sounds good but I think each person who reads this should take good stock in what Hal posted. He just explained it the right way.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks for the input from all and I do understand all comments.
With that said I think that I will just offer up my services as the "Unofficial"
"Official Bumper" when these situations occur to keep the Posts for help fresh in the minds of all
board Members if that is OK with you all!

And while everyone is entitled to their own opinions without any judgement by others, I myself will always be willing to lend a helping hand!

Thanks for the honest ansers and your undersanding in my wanting to take care of our own.
KCButch

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yep Butch, I too think your heart is in the right place, but due to logistical nightmares that would occur, a case by case basis might be easier to accomplish.

Hope to meet up with you one day, Butch. Take care,
Dep

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Butch, You have a great idea. Things can be made alot easier, simpler than what people think. Why do people have to bring out the negatives on such ideas so fast? What about the positives that it would bring to ones family. Just because you can afford a GoldWing does not mean you have to be finanically set for life. We can go out and buy a Wing for around 10k these days. Does that make someone wealthy.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Toyo said:
I will never name names but it blows me away how certain people on this board can be so ungiving, if thats the proper word.
"Ungiving"! That's BS from what I have seen.

If you're hungry, I will feed you. If you are cold, I will invite you into my home. If your bike breaks I will work days trying to help you.

If you are a pi$$ poor planner or irresponsible, you are on your own. It's not the publics responsibility to take care of you. I put out more than the price of a new Wing every year to make sure my behind & family is covered. Others have the same opportunity!

FYI... My accident in May cost plenty. $60,000 for 13 days in the hospital, $8,100 for air flight, $500 for ambulance, over $12,000 in motorcycle repairs, $500 towing and bike storage, and I'm still not done. I planned in advance getting into a accident. Just because stuff does happen. I'm out a few grand, but planning for a muck-up through insurance paid off! :wink:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Red said:
If you are a pi$$ poor planner or irresponsible, you are on your own. It's not the publics responsibility to take care of you.
But, Mousie (Red), thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley
An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Robert Burns

In other words, no matter how clever you think you are, how well-prepared, how secure, doo-doo can happen.
That's when a measure of a man can be told by his friends' responses.

You're a good man, Butch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did not see any insinuation that people on this board are ungiving or unwilling to help each other out.

Maybe I am not reading the posts correctly, and all I am trying to do is be helpful here, so if any of you are getting the idea that I am anything but sincere, i am truly sorry that you feel this way and I will not attempt to sway anyone one way or the other.

It is and will always be a personal choice.

If your panties are still in a wad from my post, then as a famous person once said EAT MY SHORTS!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have discovered when you discuss politics, money, religion there are never going to be 2 people on the same page. People take there beliefs very strongly. My point being, we are beating our heads into a wall trying to discuss this. Unfortuntley.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I agree with red to a degree. I too was taught to plan for the unexpected. And I have been blessed the the ability to do that, however not all have been able and some have and have already in their lives exhausted that nest egg for uenexpected reasons. I was also taught that you help those in need. Like red said there are other ways to do this. But if money is the bandage to fix the need then I am open to that also. The big problem I see is what Hal said and I do not have those answers and not sure anyone does.

I had too been think along the lines of some kind of fund and ways to fund it that would not take money directly out of individual pockets. For instance if once a year we decided on a weekend to sponsor a ride to raise money across the country. there could be one per state or maybe broken up into several per state. I know I personally am always looking for a good ride.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts