GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help and question about level tube in coolant tank

I flushed my coolant this afternoon, and I was having a little trouble getting the recovery tank out. After working it around some, I finally got it dropped enough to remove the hoses. However, I found the hose going to the level tube was already off. I found it up inside the bike, with the clamp and a little ring of rubber around it. I can't tell if I did that or it was like that from before. It seems there is not be enough slack to drop the tank down far enough to loosen it.

It looks like the top of that part (19102-ML7-701) normally has a small rubber collar that the clamp attaches to to secure it to the elbow. The top of the grommet on mine is flat (i.e. no place to clamp to), the small collar was attached to the elbow (with the clamp), having torn right around the base of it.

Can I still ride the bike with that hose off until I get the replacement part? The hose will not stay in the grommet on the tank as it is.

I filled and burped the system and it was leaking a bit of fluid but seems to have stopped. I have brought the bike up to temp for 10-15 minutes with no problem and normal operating temps on the gauge. As soon as it cools down fully, I'm going to re-check the level at the cap and top off as needed.

Part number 8 in the fiche is the problem child:
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2003&fveh=3499

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Learned that the hard way...it was somewhat of a PITA. Next time I'll break out my fluid extractor :x

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Use a "turkey baster" to remove fluid, flush until clean and refill.
Have never remove the overflow tank!
+1 No need to complicate things.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since it's going to be in the 90's and humid this weekend, I'm going to park the Wing. It's not worth the risk to have the coolant get hot and push out a bunch of fluid in front of the rear tire...replacement part is ordered.

Sometimes it's not being lazy, it's being smart! At least I know how to r&r the stupid tank now. Oh well...lesson learned, no big deal.

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
I flushed my coolant this afternoon, and I was having a little trouble getting the recovery tank out. After working it around some, I finally got it dropped enough to remove the hoses. OK ... so if I read this right the tank is out, corredt? However, I found the hose going to the level tube was already off. I found it up inside the bike, with the clamp and a little ring of rubber around it. I can't tell if I did that or it was like that from before. It seems there is not be enough slack to drop the tank down far enough to loosen it. Is the tank in or out?

It looks like the top of that part (19102-ML7-701) normally has a small rubber collar that the clamp attaches to to secure it to the elbow. The top of the grommet on mine is flat (i.e. no place to clamp to), the small collar was attached to the elbow (with the clamp), having torn right around the base of it.

Can I still ride the bike with that hose off until I get the replacement part? The hose will not stay in the grommet on the tank as it is.

I filled and burped the system and it was leaking a bit of fluid but seems to have stopped. I have brought the bike up to temp for 10-15 minutes with no problem and normal operating temps on the gauge. As soon as it cools down fully, I'm going to re-check the level at the cap and top off as needed.

Part number 8 in the fiche is the problem child:
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2003&fveh=3499

OK ... I think I know what you are talking about. First off, you are doing the correct thing by removing the tank, cleaning it, and inspecting the recovery system. I doubt that you damaged it. Year and mileage would help. I'm going to assume that this an a higher mileage (above 80k) older GL1800 and the level tube often gets cracks in it and, as a result, will do what you are saying. Order in a new level tube and any clamps that need replacing. Most likely the over flow hose is cracked or damaged so order anything there to. Also, double check the hose the plastic elbow attaches to. The hose is 2 parts, and sometimes the lower half gets cracked and needs replacing. The other part that is im[prtant here is to pressure test the rad cap and system. Most likely that cap is bad. Don't forget to do a drain and fill every 2 years or 24K as required.

Regauding riding it ... no, get it fixed. Cooling systme failure is number 1 breakdown on todays highway and you are setting yourself up for breakdown.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks GWG...the bike is an '03 with 38k on it, purchased used last year with 25k on it. The PO listed some maintenance items that were done, but those listings stopped @ 17k and didn't list a coolant change. The dealer I purchased it from said it had full service done to it, but based on some other things I found, I doubt that was anywhere near true. Sadly I'm just now getting around to this...the last thing on the list is to check the valves...all other service is caught up.

Anyway, as of right now, the tank is back in the bike (I did have it completely out to flush and clean it). I pushed the elbow back into the grommet hoping it would stay, but no luck, it fell out working the tank back in place. I did check the overflow tube, it was routed properly through the metal bracket and was nice and soft/flexible. Since I need to wait a few days for the level tube, I'll pull the shelter and check the hose that goes from the tank up to the radiator. It really seems like there should be a little more slack in that line to get the tank further down when removing it. It is very possible that it could have been mis-routed when the frame recall was done (before my time)...I found they left the vapor line off (discovered that when doing the air filter change, plus I had gas smell after filling up all the time, glad that's gone now :yes1: ).

Thanks again for your input and suggestions...I'll take a picture of the damaged part along with the new one so others can watch for this issue in the future.

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
Since the mileage is low and the overflow hose is soft, then probably the return hose will be ok and probably no need to pull the shelter. You can test it with a vacume pump. It should pull a vacume if one end is blocked off. Still pressure test the system. Chances are at 6-8 lbs of pressure you will find a coolant leak. Do check it at 16 too. Don't forget to check the cap ... chances are good at that age it is bad.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You likely will be OK to ride till the parts come in... A friend of mine had this part disconnected on his bike for years... He would progressively loose coolant from the rads, but if you check it and refill as needed you'll be fine...
Once you get the new part installed and the system back to OEM spec, you'll be amazed how little the fans come on (by compairison)...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Bo......you can ride that bike coast to coast with no tank at all.
Will not hurt a thing.

All it is , is an overflow and or expansion tank. Unless you have a leak somewhere you need no extra coolant for make up.

Ride the bike, go to Calyfornia if you wish. Just check the coolant maybe once a week .

Tank will not stop you from riding the bike.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
It also seems that checking the valves with that few miles on it has proven to be unnecessary by many posts here. But, one must satisfy one's self, it's your bike.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It also seems that checking the valves with that few miles on it has proven to be unnecessary by many posts here. But, one must satisfy one's self, it's your bike.
:agree: That's exactly why I'm in no hurry to do it...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bo......you can ride that bike coast to coast with no tank at all.
Will not hurt a thing.

All it is , is an overflow and or expansion tank. Unless you have a leak somewhere you need no extra coolant for make up.

Ride the bike, go to Calyfornia if you wish. Just check the coolant maybe once a week .

Tank will not stop you from riding the bike.
Thanks Kit and Ed Z...I thought that that line was two-way and would pull fluid back into the system if needed. I dunno...it doesn't leak anywhere so I may take it for a spin tomorrow. I'm suffering WWS (Wing Withdrawal Symptoms) pretty bad already :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
IMO, When the radiator is completely topped off with no air in it and the engine heats up, the system will expand and coolant will be released thru the radiator syphon tube that runs to the reserve tank. When the system cools down, a vacuum is created and coolant is sucked back into the system thru the same hose. If there is no coolant in the tank, air will be sucked into the system, most likely. You will also have an overflow when the system expands.

Thus the reason why there is recommend high and low level in the coolant reserve tank. Personally, I'd wait for the part. But I'm funny like that.

I asked the local Honda dealer mechanic if he removed the coolant tank when he changed the coolant. His answer was "Hell no, that's too much hassle".

·
Registered
878 Posts
I mostly agree with the above... It is a two directional thing... As the bike comes up to temp the "excess" coolant is pushed into the bottle... As it cools back down it is retrieved from the bottle... On the pre 06 bikes the radiators are quite a bit smaller than the post 06 bikes... The earlier bikes did not have as much "reserve" cooling capacity and with just a little air in the system, one could exceed the cooling capacity under the right conditions (supper hot day and slow riding)...
My friends 01 would lose a bit of coolant each day he rode it in real hot weather until it got to the point of over heating... Add more coolant to the rads and he would be good for another period of time... Then we found the hose disconnected at the bottle (and repaired it)... Since then he has had zero heat issues (over a year ago now)...

·
Vendor
17,790 Posts
I mostly agree with the above... It is a two directional thing... As the bike comes up to temp the "excess" coolant is pushed into the bottle... As it cools back down it is retrieved from the bottle... On the pre 06 bikes the radiators are quite a bit smaller than the post 06 bikes... The earlier bikes did not have as much "reserve" cooling capacity and with just a little air in the system, one could exceed the cooling capacity under the right conditions (supper hot day and slow riding)...
My friends 01 would lose a bit of coolant each day he rode it in real hot weather until it got to the point of over heating... Add more coolant to the rads and he would be good for another period of time... Then we found the hose disconnected at the bottle (and repaired it)... Since then he has had zero heat issues (over a year ago now)...
:agree: ... that is exaxctly correct. That is why a person would not want to ride until the recovery system is corrected. You can ride it from coast to coast like someone above stated if it is always topped off. Unless it is always topped off, it can over heat. Who would want to ride a bike and always be checking the coolant level.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The bike I referred to was able to go a few weeks before enough coolant was lost to impact heating issues... Removing the right side pocket to refill is an easy thing as well... I say, if one is checking their gauges often enough, then no damage should occur till he gets the new tube...
As I see it, give up a ride today and have three tomorrow, it doesn't matter cause you still missed one the day before...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts