GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just graduated from the ST1300 to the GL1800. Now I know that each bike has its own riding style. On the ST I was down on my wrists more. On the GL I sit up. The St was at least 300 lbs lighter and I could throw it around. I know the GL can move, but I haven't the experience.

Now I know the concept of counter steering. Push on the right to go right. Push on the left to go left. Eight years on the ST and I was able to accomplish this at all speeds. But now with the GL, I have found the slow turns to be uncomfortable.

I am talking about the turns from dead stop. I am at the stop light and I'm turning right. The light goes green. I get on the gas and ---- well --- I find I am steering my way around the corner by moving the left bar forward.

Once I am moving, the corners come naturally. Its look and push and I scoot around them.

Is my issue just mine? Could starting out on the GL be unnatural to me because I lack confidence to get on the throttle and dive into the corner?

If you know of any technique or excercise for me to try - let me know....

Thanks

·
Registered
812 Posts
Start with http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237208.

It isn't uncommon for people moving to a 'wing to be uncomfortable. I still am, but continue to make progress. It's a big, heavy beast and it takes time to figure it out.

There are a few people here who can do some amazing things with a bike like this. I'm doing what I can to learn from them and at least some of them are very willing to help,so don't be afraid to ask.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Ohh... welcome to the wing as well.

I've only had mine for about 3 months and am by no means an expert. I moved to the wing from a VTX and initially not being able to see the front wheel was a major psychological problem for me. Then you get over it :)

It takes some time and practice, but you can get over it. After my first ride on my wing (which happened to be about 200 miles) I was convinced that at speed I'd never been on a better handling bike, but I wasn't sure I would ever figure out low speed stuff. Now I think I'm better than I ever have been at the low speed stuff, but I also know what is possible so I'm. not happy yet.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Eyes and head up pointed in direction were you want to go. Go out practice.
Its a new machine to you and you probaly a little nervous. You can do it!

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
some where on forum dj fire put out video on how to practice in parking lot till you can scrape the pegs maybe someone else can chime in or look up his info n shoot him a message mean time practice i find going slow if you keep rpms up n ride rear brake helps a lot

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
This may sound odd but gas it and look where you want to go for low speed manuvers. It will come naturally.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I drag the rear brake as I am pulling out. This lets me use a little more throttle and I can ease up on the brake to quickly raise the bike. It also smooths out the jerkiness in first gear. Pick a spot about 3/4 around the turn and focus on it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i'm new to it too coming from a bandit and sportbikes. i'm having the same issues. but the main issue for me is stopping. i've found i must be totally straight up when coming to a stop or the thing will fall over. but on the twisties, it just floats :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
point and shoot..

This may sound odd but gas it and look where you want to go for low speed manuvers. It will come naturally.
:agree::agree::agree:
I can now "drag a peg" pulling out of a parking spot. Practice, confidence and a little more throttle control, you will get it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't be afraid to scratch the bottom of the crash bars. They will hold up the bike and prevent damage if you drop it a couple of times while practicing. I think the fear of dropping it was the biggest obstacle for me. Once the bottoms are "broke in", you will become more confident. DJ Fire also has an excellent post.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also came to the GL from an ST. I think the length of the bike is the main reason I feel less confident in low speed maneuvers.

The other issue I have is the EFI causes the bike to surge up and down when the engine is cold. Just as I get started, the revs drop significantly. This does not inspire confidence.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bottom line is that when you are the slightest bit uncomfortable the body tenses up which doesn't allow for the smooth turning radius points. Tense up and the turns get wider, much wider.

What happens when you tense up on anything bike, skis, skate board, skates, etc? You fall off! So go out and practice. It will take care of itself.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Drag the back brake, use clutch and throttle control. Look where you want to go and keep your head up. Don't try and lean the bike too much when you are first working on the slow speed turns, you'll find it easier to start with full lock turns at first. Practice, practice, practice, and more ppractice.

·
Registered
814 Posts
There was a post some time ago by one of the members on this forum and I did a search but can't find it. Essentially, he talked about going to a flat parking lot and getting the bike moving in circles that you are comfortable with. Start slow and shift until you are in 3rd gear. In 3rd, the bike will move on its own. Dont use the clutch or brake, just start making circles that you are comfortable with in the direction you are comfortable with. Eventually counter lean the bike more and make the circles smaller once again without using the throttle, brake or clutch. The tip is to lean the bike, keep your head vertical so it doesnt lean with the bike and always keep your head turned and dont look at the ground. Eventually, you will get very comfortable with making tighter and tighter turns until you are able to scrape your pegs. The point he made is if you dont lean you wont be able to make sharp turns. Then go the opposite direction with the same technique. I practiced this at least once a week and it made a big difference. Wish I could find that post - It was early this year that it appeared on this site. Lot of good stuff on that post.

I also put small cones (cut tennis balls in half) 12' apart in a straight line - maybe 6 - 8 of them and weave in and out, make a sharp u turn and come back. I alternated from circles to weaving. After a few weeks, you will notice a definite difference when driving on the road.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm going thru the same uneasy feeling right now myself. One thing I have found to help me get some confidence back is when at all possible I get the bike turned toward the direction I want to go. Say at a light and wanting to turn right, the bike is aimed slightly right at the stop. I know this isn't the right approach but I've dropped mine a couple of times and that has been difficult to get over. One step at a time. Once my confidence has improved a little I'll go to the next level and try some of the suggestions already mentioned.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Start with http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237208.

It isn't uncommon for people moving to a 'wing to be uncomfortable. I still am, but continue to make progress. It's a big, heavy beast and it takes time to figure it out.

There are a few people here who can do some amazing things with a bike like this. I'm doing what I can to learn from them and at least some of them are very willing to help,so don't be afraid to ask.

+1:agree:
start at the top of page 2 of the thread.
I am another believer of DJ Fire's method. it has helped me get very comfortable on the wing at slow speeds.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Ok, I just graduated from the ST1300 to the GL1800. Now I know that each bike has its own riding style. On the ST I was down on my wrists more. On the GL I sit up. The St was at least 300 lbs lighter and I could throw it around. I know the GL can move, but I haven't the experience.

Now I know the concept of counter steering. Push on the right to go right. Push on the left to go left. Eight years on the ST and I was able to accomplish this at all speeds. But now with the GL, I have found the slow turns to be uncomfortable.

I am talking about the turns from dead stop. I am at the stop light and I'm turning right. The light goes green. I get on the gas and ---- well --- I find I am steering my way around the corner by moving the left bar forward.

Once I am moving, the corners come naturally. Its look and push and I scoot around them.

Is my issue just mine? Could starting out on the GL be unnatural to me because I lack confidence to get on the throttle and dive into the corner?

Thanks
Specifically speaking to what you state you are talking about, starting a turn from a dead stop. I found the below video to be perfect and works great on the wing. I personally think most of the advice given so far speaks to slow speed maneuvers when already on the move, not from a dead stop. None of it wrong advice, just not for a dead stop turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gzAgCSfnQM&list=FLhj4NaPaFZ6AoEruJrakBGA&index=13

·
Registered
480 Posts

Thanks

Practice, practice, practice.

Quit fretting, it'll come to you. Just maybe not in your time, but it'll come to you. What you're experiencing is normal.

Enjoy the new bike!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts