GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Quantum GL Bushtec trailer that I pull behind my 01 1800 Wing. It has been having air suspension problems, so it has been parked since last fall. I finally found a leak at the top of one shock near the loop for the top mounting of the shock. So when I was taking it off to have it serviced or replaced, I discovered that the top of the bracket that surrounds the whole trailer and ends with the bolts for the top of the shock mounts was broken. Not just on one side, but both sides. The top mount bolt is still secure to the bracket, but on both sides the bracket just broke apart approximately 1" down from the top or just about 1/2 inch below where the top mount bolt for the shock is located. Has anyone ever seen this happen? Is this common? Do you know what the repair procedure is? I have called Bushtec each of the last two days and after holding on the telephone for over 20 minutes each day, I'm finally forced to leave a voicemail and hope someone calls me back. What has happened to Bushtec service??????? This company was stellar in this regard, but I understand John sold the company and Andy stayed on, but now Andy is gone also. Am I the only one experiencing this? Makes me want to dump the trailer and buy a different brand. Very frustrated to say the least.:frown: And prior to this, I have recommended buying Bushtecs to tens of potential customers I have met out on the road. Any help or advice or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this BUT this seems to be the NORM for service there now...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cycledan - First off, very sorry you didn't get through to someone in the Call Center. I just spoke to Ben, and he's forwarded your voice mail to Bruce in the factory.

Please email me directly at [email protected] if you have any other issues, or have trouble getting through. We're trying to resolve some phone issues.

Thanks - Brian

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
You just didn't stay on hold long enough. Looks like they responded to your post within 2 hours and are trying to reach you to get this resolved. God luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys- You are correct. I left a real plea for help and received a call back from Bruce. He was very thorough in explaining what would need to be done and was very apologetic for the call center long wait times and said they are trying to address it. I also understand that they have some brand new management for both the plant as well as the general manager. I was very pleased to see that someone from Bushtec is monitoring this web site for pleas such as mine. I remember that John Preston was very good about this and it really did a lot to promote the family of Bushtec trailer owners . I will be finding a way to transport my trailer back to the factory for repairs and look forward to meeting many of the new crew. I'll update this once I have it all resolved for reference to other owners as well. I'm not a regular like many on these forums but find it really helpful when you need it. Thanks all.;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sound, excellent engineering and high quality parts designed for specific purposes will render a sound SAFE trailer that will never become a hazard to yourself, your co-rider or fellow travelers on the road. I have never fiqured why ANYONE would pull a KNOWN hazard or even want their name associated with it. But the paint job sho nuff is purdy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Drn151,

Actually and factually I do not. However I am not a fan of any munufacturer who knowingly sells harmful and or dangerous products to the public and pretends to not understand why people point out glairing faults. Please note in my previous post I made no specific refrence to any one specific manufacturer. If the shoe fits then wear it.

I can understand the childish brand loyalty expressed by individuals who have laid down good, hard earned noney for a glitzy yet hazardous and underengineered product. It is sad when normally logical people ignore documented FACTS that could potentially kill or seriously injure them for no reason other than loyality to a hazard. It makes no difference what the product is. My "agenda" is against any manufacturer who perpetuates lies and misleades their customers.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Drn151,

Actually and factually I do not. However I am not a fan of any munufacturer who knowingly sells harmful and or dangerous products to the public and pretends to not understand why people point out glairing faults. Please note in my previous post I made no specific refrence to any one specific manufacturer. If the shoe fits then wear it.

I can understand the childish brand loyalty expressed by individuals who have laid down good, hard earned noney for a glitzy yet hazardess and underengineered product. It is sad when normally logical people ignore documented FACTS that could potentially kill or seriously injure them for no reason other than loyality to a hazard. It makes no difference what the product is. My "agenda" is against any manufacturer who perpetuates lies and misleades their customers.
A suggestion for you....why don't you ride on down to Jacksboro, video camera in hand and point out all your observations to the new owners...like one of those TV investigative reporters? :p
C'mon...take your agenda and bashing "live"...show the world your extraordinary knowledge and show us all how right your are....show us all it is not a personal vendetta but really your kind hearted altruism that yearns to protect us all from those lying, death trap building, evil doing "so and so's" in Jacksboro.
Please remove the opaque veil of our collective "childish" behavior so we may see the truth and be set free!!

C'mon Yellow let's see you show your stuff, prove your points...or are you "yellow"? HAHAHAHAHA!

("are you yellow?"....what a funny guy I am....I crack myself up...I hope I don't crack up for real as I pull a death trap! :eek:4:)

Meanwhile I and the wife will ride our Goldwing pulling our Bushtec trailer and continue happily along enjoying many more carefree miles and smiles.:p

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nerf,

Just read some of the posts written ON THIS FORUM by some of the owners who have had very dangerous problems with their trailers. Take your blinders off or see an eye doctor for the eye damage caused by the brilliant flashes that come off that SHINY trailer when it's in the sunlight. You really do not need to be a genius to understand some things are VERY wrong.

Like the Corvair and Maverick owners (and Alfred E. Neuman) said: "What, me worry?" Ignorance is bliss. Oh, ye yearns fo duh trooth!

Nurf, you be such a nologable and eliquint guy. A Pinctun graduate, know doubt.

You got to lern me how to use all the funny faces. They be so good at making a point.

Get real. And that Corvair Monza Spyder looked so dern good. What a great paint job!!! It looked good at any speed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
---:popcorn::popcorn::cus::cus::coolit::coolit::chat::banghead::banghead::croc::duck::duck::trike::trike::doorag::rolleyes::rolleyes::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
306 Posts
skipus,

I really like the effect of your post. It's innocence is , uh, childlike.

I also find it somewhat sad when grown men act this way over an example of ignoring a very dangerous aspect of motorcycle safety; dragging a poorly engineered, dangerous trailer behind a perfectly good motorcycle. I am, on this Fourth of July, profoundly in favor of independence and our right to choose and express ourselves. And folks have every right to choose and pull a trailer with KNOWN AND DOCUMENTED safety issues. I chooes not to.

I also choose to wear full safety gear when I ride, including a full face helmet, no matter how hot the weather. That's just me. I do see, on occasion, simple fools riding with tee shirts,shorts, tank tops, no gloves, and tennis shoes. If they were born with low IQ's, and raised by ignorant parents that is not really their fault. If these are not the cases then they, IN MY OPINION, are complete idiots and deserve what they get, as long as taxpayers do not have to pay for their skin grafts and long term care. IN MY OPINION they are as bad as anyone who sucks off our system. I hear the whiny cries about "personal freedom and choice"; BS. They are still fools. IN MY OPINION.

The same holds true for anyone who knowingly and willingly buys an unsafe product and uses it. Just don't ask me to pay foe your brain dead wife when she is nothing more than a radish.

Now lets here some more humor from the children

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yellow 10. I have a question for you. There have been issues with frames breaking on GL1800's. This problem is rare just like the Bushtec frame issues. Does this mean that you ride an inherently dangerous motorcycle? I have an old Bushtec trailer that has been pulled many many miles with no problems. I'm not saying that something may not happen, but like the GL1800, it could happen to anything manufactured.

·
Registered
306 Posts
rocket1lf,

Yes, I grant you that . I ride a motorcycle which makes me an individual who assumes more risk than a fellow who chooses to ride in an Excursion. I do, however, try to limit my risks. One way is by riding an 05 which has, to my knowledge, not one recorded frame crack (my 01 did). A second is by wearing full riding gear. Another is by wearing a seat belt when I'm in a cage. Another is by not smoking. I don't eat fatback biscuits.

I try to reduce the chances of something bad happening to me or my family members, not increase the chances.

YOU have a right to buy and pull whatever you want, even if it has been DOCUMENTED by our own forum members to have serious problems that could cause a catastrophic accident (plenty of those owners have had many blissful miles pulling those things). YOU have a right to smoke (although most sane people know cigarettes INCREASE your chance of an early death). YOU have a right to wear a clown helmet, tennis shoes and a tee shirt when you ride(although all who dress and ride like fools don't crash).

I simply CHOOSE not to. So choose whatever makes you happy, especially if it's shiny.

I appreciate having a respectful difference of opinion and sincerely wish you and yours a Very Happy 4TH!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
:roll::roll:---:joke::joke::shrug::shrug::22yikes::banghead::banghead::rain1::rain1::chef3::chef3::yes::cus::clap2::twisted::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::nojoke:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
rocket1lf,

I try to reduce the chances of something bad happening to me or my family members, not increase the chances.
What you mean to say is anyone who don't think the same as you is a fool. If you were really all about reducing the chances of something bad happening to you or your family you would not be on a motorcycle...can you say hypocrite?

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey dipstick (yellow10). learn to spell hazardous if you want to impress anyone with anything other than your pure unrelenting idiocy. have a nice day.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Bucfan11,

What I said was folks have the right to buy, dress or do what they want in this free society as long as it is within the framework of our laws. The choices I make may not be the choices you make. You may think a choice I make is foolish. And, frankly my dear, I don't give a dam what you think or say.

majela,

Thanks for pointing out my spellin errer. And I was glad you parenthetically inserted my name becus I wouldn't have known it was me you were flattering. Your insult really made me feel bad.

But guys, don't miss the primary point of my posts which is try to thoroughly research your trailer purchase BEFORE you spend your money. You have all worked hard to put together enough hundred dollar bills to buy a quality motorcycle. Please just RESEARCH your trailer purchase THOROUGHLY. When you are shopping or if you are attending Wing Ding engage yourself in a fact finding conversation about the important elements of a trailer (and one of them ain't shiny paint). Actually look at the suspension UNDER the trailer and ask them exactly what is under that shiny paint job and how the glass was applied and laid up. ASK them about their suspension system and judge for yourself when you can start th hear that little BS meter going off in your head.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Did you know having too much sex can cause a heart attack....dam I have had 4 heart attacks:eek:4:....I'm not giving up sex for safety:22yikes:...

Every things a risk.....:twisted:

Safe Rides...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Labrider,

You may be wishfully reminiscing about the days you could still see your toes and breathe. Sure "every things a risk".

But you better believe it is riskier having sex with woman KNOWN to have AIDS than one who doesn't. When and if you breed labs is it riskier to breed a dog that hasn't had OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) Certification than one that has certified good hips?

Tell me, would you buy a $900.00 puppy that wasn't certified? If you really are a hunter or trainer I already know the answer. We are talking about taking prudent steps and diligent research to limit your risks, NOT eliminate them. Got it?

A dog who's hips have dysplasia can't kill you (in most cases). A trailer being towed down the road at 70 MPH by a man and his wife that breaks CAN do them great harm .

I can understand the huffiness and blind brand loyalty of those who already paid good money for a bad product. Most of them (though not all) are beyond logical reason. But guys making a decision on buying a new or used trailer are listening BIG TIME. I am hearing from MANY of them and they are thanking me.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts