GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Thought this was going to be easy. I Installed a K & N air filter today in my GL1800 and it won't start. The FI light stays on, and the bike won't start. Did I leave something off? It looks like everything else works, The bike turns over fine. I guess this is the most important thing. thanks for your help, John

·
Registered
20 Posts
try this...

Check the ECU IGNITION CONTROL MODULE connector. It is the box like device that is on top of the air filter box. If you get the bike to start, do not rev the engine. Let it idel until the radiator fans come on. That is how the thing re-sets itself as per the shop manual...

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Take the shelter back off and start checking the wires. That sucks! I hate removing my shelter.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You can start the motor up before putting the top shelter & seat back on.
Just a simple thing not by not checking the wiring connectors. HAve done that before as well most of other folks have done this at one time or another.
No Biggie!!
edmund

·
Registered
240 Posts
Littlebeeper said:
I Thought this was going to be easy. I Installed a K & N air filter today in my GL1800 and it won't start. The FI light stays on, and the bike won't start. Did I leave something off? It looks like everything else works, The bike turns over fine. I guess this is the most important thing. thanks for your help, John
I would be checking all the connectors that you pulled off, especially the ones on the LH side (grey one and black one) - engine management system, plus the one on top that is a sensor (do not know the name off it though) :oops:

·
Registered
291 Posts
I replaced my air filter a couple weeks ago, and had the same symptoms (before replacing the shelter, fortunately).

Connector low on right-hand side was missed. :(

Roy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did the exact same thing. Engine turned over fine and FI light stayed on. No code. Checked all connections and the last one-- large, bottom one on ECM had one bent pin in the middle. Straightened out the pin and she fired right up.

·
Registered
939 Posts
This happened to me the first time I took my top shelter off. I forgot to plug in one of the big connectors. It layed right in place but was not plugged in.

·
Registered
922 Posts
While rechecking connections, it wouldn't hurt to use some connectivity gel or lube, whatever that stuff is called that helps keep water out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
hennigm4 it is called di-electric grease. Besides water protection it provides corrosion protection also. You can get it at auto parts stores or probably even Wally World. I think I paid 6 bucks for a 2 oz tube. A little goes a long way, I put it on every connection I could get to.

·
Registered
812 Posts
When taking apart a wing...

I have just recently started taking my GL apart to service and add things. I am a long time mc wrench (home variety) but new to the innards of a GL. I have started taking digital photos of where things are and what connects to what, as well as making a written note of how many connectors I unplugged. The 1800 is not the space shuttle, but sure has a lot of wires, hoses, etc.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Littlebeeper said:
I Thought this was going to be easy. I Installed a K & N air filter today in my GL1800 and it won't start.

John
John - your Wing is trying to tell you something. GL1800's don't like K&N Filters. Go take it out and replace it with a good (much better) OEM filter and then when putting the bike back together make sure you connect "all" the wiring connections below the key area. Your Wing will run perfectly.

DaleC

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Help, Changed air filter

THanks for your replies. I want to tell you, this was why I shouldn't be doing anything in the dark. FI connector that plugs down low on the CPU was crimped between the CPU and the filter cover, I saw the wires going into it . thank God I didn' splice the wires. I figured it out plugged it n and bike is all well. John

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Glad everything turned out ok...my only suggestion is next time start the bike before putting on the shelter... :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you spring for Fred's videos, it will save you a lot of guess work on how things come apart and go back together. Worth the bucks for piece of mind. It's like watching over someones shoulder on how to do it....and, if you miss something or want to see how to do it again....just replay it. JMHO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts