GL1800Riders Forums banner

HELP-Cooling fans don't work

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  philipintexas 
#1 ·
As far as I can tell my fans have never worked, and since I rarely climb mountains or get stuck in traffic, the problem has only come up 2-3 times while visiting other states. I bought the bike, new '05 bought in '06 and only encountered overheating indications on two trips. I performed some tests outlined in the service manual and eliminated the relay and motors. They work if the relay is grounded at the BRN/RED connector (input from the ECU).
Since the dash Temp gauge works I believe the Temp. sending unit is working correctly. This leaves either the ECM or a connection break between the ECM and the fan relay.?
Since the bike runs perfectly, I don't suspect the ECU and since the dash temp gauge gets it's input from the ECU I'm further convinced it's not the ECU.
I really don't want to take the bike apart any further, so I need some advice from you guys who know a lot more than I do.

Would I be safe in wiring a micro switch to ground the BRN/RED connector of the cooling fan relay so I can turn on the fans manually?

At some point when the bike is being stripped down for something else I'll have the problem corrected.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I have an Engineer friend who is going to help me do some of the tests described in the service manual, I am going to replace the Air cleaner while I have everything exposed. Thanks Techdude2000, we'll try to eliminate things one at a time. I don't want to go into the Temp sending unit, if I can help it.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks, after looking for a way to get to it I decided to try the harness. I love the picture in the manual showing the location with the note; (ENGINE REMOVED)! Thanks Honda.....
I appreciate your help techdude2000, There's always that one electronic gadget that can't be accessed or repaired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.