GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the country and am having problems with mice in my barn. The problem is, that's where my Wing is kept. Anyone have a good way to mice proof your bike? I am getting desparate! PLEASE help me! Just a note, that "barn" is a nice metal shed w/ a concrete floor. I have always lived in the city until about 2 years ago, never a problem. Town is looking better to me again!

Kevin

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I live in the country and am having problems with mice in my barn. The problem is, that's where my Wing is kept. Anyone have a good way to mice proof your bike? I am getting desparate! PLEASE help me! Just a note, that "barn" is a nice metal shed w/ a concrete floor. I have always lived in the city until about 2 years ago, never a problem. Town is looking better to me again!

Kevin
Cats will control the mice but will scratch the motorcycle seat and paint. Put out lots of mice/rat bait.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I surround mine with mothballs and then put a couple of Decon trays in the corners. I also sealed all the cracks that look like anything at all could slip thru. Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mouse traps are effective and final. baits and poisons make then die in hiding ( sometimes in your bike ) The odor is horrible. They will chew your wiring if not taken care.
Lots of luck

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Putting a screen over the intakes will keep them from getting into the airfilter. However, that won't keep them from chewing on the wiring.

I would suggest using several approaches. If you don't have any pets that can get into the barn, use some rat poison. In addition to poison, put out some traps with peanut butter in them and check them often.

Then as a last line of defense, use moth balls around the bike or maybe even drop a couple of them down in the pocket or in some place on the bike where they won't cause a problem, but will allow the odor to waft around them. I have also heard Bounce Fabric softner sheets help.

After finding some chewed up wires on my Kawasaki last year, I now use all four methods (screens on intake, rat poison, traps, and mothballs).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Best advice on pests I ever recieved was from our companies pest control tech. He said" regardless of what type of pest, rodent or bug, the best control is to quit feeding them"
Clean out your barn of anything the mice can eat, most of your problem will go away. De-con will control the rest.

Shep

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We used mothballs when we stored combine(mice magnet) in polebarn. I would maybe put a cover over bike and mothballs under that to enhance the mothballs effect. I have used little dishes of plain auto anti-freeze set out for mice control...they like it, its lethal, and cheap.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I understand that bakeries surround the building with a wide "moat" of rocks. It seems that they don't like to crawl over rocks.
+1 on the peanut butter, especially MRE peanut butter. They cannot resist that.

R

·
0 Posts
Rodents need 3 things.Food,water and shelter.Your shed probably has all three.Remove them and the mice will look elsewhere and you'll have a spic and span shed.Even leaving a ball of twine or a pair of garden gloves is enough for a mouse to set up home.I keep things like that in margarine containers.The worst offender is usually wild bird seed left out in the open.and a faucet only has to have a damp spot near it to give them a supply of water.
This is my garage last year.I had mice in it then,big time!

This is now.No more mouse house.:lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Baited glue traps work wonders.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
If you use poison be sure your pets don't get into it. I almost lost a dog that ate mouse and rat poison. Now I use an old metal toolbox with a 1 inch hole drilled in each side near the bottom. I put poison in it and put a wire thru the hasp so it can't come open. The mice can get into it but the dog can't get at the poison.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Rodents need 3 things.Food,water and shelter.Your shed probably has all three.Remove them and the mice will look elsewhere and you'll have a spic and span shed.Even leaving a ball of twine or a pair of garden gloves is enough for a mouse to set up home.I keep things like that in margarine containers.The worst offender is usually wild bird seed left out in the open.and a faucet only has to have a damp spot near it to give them a supply of water.
This is my garage last year.I had mice in it then,big time!

This is now.No more mouse house.:lol:
Hey Ricky, What did you use for the floor? Is it paint, tile, ??

·
Registered
118 Posts
motor cycle cover

I have seen but cannot recall which one it was, i have seen various covers that will cover your bike completely, role it in and zip or velcro it up due a search on google or dogpile.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I understand that bakeries surround the building with a wide "moat" of rocks. It seems that they don't like to crawl over rocks.
+1 on the peanut butter, especially MRE peanut butter. They cannot resist that.
Hey, don't knock the MRE peanut butter. It works better than duct tape and is edible as well. Ok, sorta edible. Ok, it's good for constipation ... causing it that is!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
We have a faucet, bird feed and plenty of places to nest. We have no mouse problem. :shrug:

Oh! Did I mention we have two cats? :thumbup: The bird feed is in 25 gallon dry wall buckets. The faucet does not drip. But the nesting places are easily available. Lived there since 1992 and so far have had no mouse problem. Now that I have said that, I better go put out some Decon!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts