GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost positive my bike would idol below 1,000. I went on a 3000 mile bike ride 2 weeks ago, washed it REAL well when I got home, put it in the garage for a week while I went on a trip and took her out for a ride today and she now sits above 1,000 at idol. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can tell by the sound that it was never that high.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You must disconnect the battery for a few minutes prior to starting and letting it come up to temp. This allows the ECM to re-learn the mapping.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Throttle cable is good and I haven't touched the cruise slack. I'll try the other 2 methods and report back. If they don't work....I'll check the throttle cable and then the cruise. Thanks guys.

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
Throttle cable is good and I haven't touched the cruise slack. I'll try the other 2 methods and report back. If they don't work....I'll check the throttle cable and then the cruise. Thanks guys.
If you haven't adjusted the cruise, then I'd suggest you leave it alone, as that probably isn't the problem.

Either the throttle isn't fully returning for some reason, or you have a problem with the idle air control circuit. After checking the throttle, I'd try the ECM reset procedure, though I'll be surprised if it fixes it.

By the way, there is no need to disconnect the battery to perform the ECM reset procedure. Just let the bike run for 90 seconds after the fans come on, and then shut it off, never touching the throttle the whole time.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well...I did the ECM re-set and it went back to normal.

Thanks for all of your help.

Anyone have an explanation as to why this happened?

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts