GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all......many many thanks to the folks at Electrical Connection for the info they have provided so far...great folks!

Unfortunately for them and you, I am not the most mechanically inclined (Electrical Engineer).

I am considering adding the Electrical Connection High Output Cowl Lights Model 1215 to my 2006 non-airbag GL1800.

Have not ordered them yet, but Casey at EC sent me the install sheets as PDF.

I have removed to cowls to clean and "take a look" ...but between the quality of the photos and such, do not feel I yet have the needed info to install. I hesitate to bug the folks at EC anymore until I've actually spent some coin with them...so I turn to the fount of all knowledge GL1800s.

To wit: The text talks about removing with side cutters the "dead plate"... I presume that this refers to the couple inch diameter convex piece on each side where the lights will go?

I'm uncertain, because the next step talks about melting some holes through the gussets, but the photo shows this being done on a cowl where what I think are the "dead plates" are still in place.....

As for exactly where to melt the holes, I am confused about the entire set of steps of measuring to the center from front to back of gusset, then marking a hole back 3/16" of an inch from the edge of the plastic, creating an "X" where the hole should be melted.....Is my attached sketch right? Am I correct about removing the couple inch convex (from the front) pieces?

Thanks...am a big believer in "read 3 times, measure twice, cut once".

Any words of wisdom from those that have done this in past will be appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I haven't installed lights from EC in a very long time but they are top notch (I have other stuff too). Unfortunately I do not see the .pdf on their web site to give you exact help but I can say that once you have the lower cowl off (the big dirt catcher behind the front wheel) you will need to cut the 'tabs' around the two circle things on the left and right, that is where the light will be shinning out. After you cut it out with snips (I used my wire cutters), gently file the opening so the tabs aren't like a hang nail, you want a nice round circle for the lights.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I think it will be a little more clear to you once you have the part in hand. You will see that you will in fact need to remove the 2 blockout plates. Take your time with that procedure to make it nice and clean around the opening. Just looks nicer afterwards. After you have the items and the openings, test fitting them will show you where you need to make your fastener openings. Read 3, measure 2, cut 1 after test fittings 4 times or so for reassurance.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't installed lights from EC in a very long time but they are top notch (I have other stuff too). Unfortunately I do not see the .pdf on their web site to give you exact help but I can say that once you have the lower cowl off (the big dirt catcher behind the front wheel) you will need to cut the 'tabs' around the two circle things on the left and right, that is where the light will be shinning out. After you cut it out with snips (I used my wire cutters), gently file the opening so the tabs aren't like a hang nail, you want a nice round circle for the lights.
Thanks for the confirmation about removing the circular pieces..that's what I thought....feel more certain now.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it will be a little more clear to you once you have the part in hand. You will see that you will in fact need to remove the 2 blockout plates. Take your time with that procedure to make it nice and clean around the opening. Just looks nicer afterwards. After you have the items and the openings, test fitting them will show you where you need to make your fastener openings. Read 3, measure 2, cut 1 after test fittings 4 times or so for reassurance.
Thanks!! Hope they come out as nice as yours. Did you do the relay thing to cut the lights off when high beams are on? Am thinking of doing that myself.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Thanks!! Hope they come out as nice as yours. Did you do the relay thing to cut the lights off when high beams are on? Am thinking of doing that myself.
Everything needed was in the kit, the kit is setup to be 50 state legal with the highbeam cutout. Unless they changed their package contents. You’ll do fine, and like the addition. Soldier on....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts