GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blowing the heads around. The turbulence from cars and trucks was terrible, I love this bike, but if I can't correct this I'll chose my Triumph Tiger 1200 all day long for a trip. The triumph is smooth. No helmet shake or anything,

This Goldwing moves around a lot due to the wind. I realize its bigger and such but it should cut the wind smoothly.

I have the stock screen with a MRA X-screen extension. Doesn't matter with or without the extension the wind buffeting and noise is a lot. We didn't even talk much on our Scala units.

Advise guys?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
All the answers here will be subjective but here is my experience on my 2018 DCT. I have a F4, 20 inch windshield and Honda upper and lower wind deflectors which came on the bike when I bought it. I am 6 feet tall and with the windshield in the lowest setting I am sitting in still air at interstate speeds with the visor on my full coverage helmet always open. The cockpit is quiet enough to listen to the radio speakers at 80mph unless it is an extremely windy day and I am looking well over the windshield. I also think the air deflectors help with a calm cockpit.

The F4 has a slight bend in the top that sends the wind over your head and is 2 inches wider on each side and for me works brilliantly. My wife rides with me too and says the buffeting is no worse that on my previous wings with the stock shields. Enlarge the picture below to see the deflectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
F4 Customs and SlipStreamer Warparound are popular shields with posters on this site. I've ridden behind both and both are better than stock. I use the Slipstreamer Warparound with X-Creen Tour permanently attached with good results. Almost as good as the Madstad I had on my F6B and that was the best shield I've had had on any motorcycle.

I know MadStad has been working on a shield for the 2018 now for probably 6 months. Seems like it is taking them forever to get this product to market. I know some were waiting for the MadStad to come out but finally gave up and went to other options.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have the 20” wide version Slipstreamer and it works great. Unfortunately you have to be VERY careful with what material touches for cleaning. I used a waffle towel and Calsci cleaner and my shield had scratches that are very visible. If I were to buy again I would bite the bullet and buy a F4.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the answers here will be subjective but here is my experience on my 2018 DCT. I have a F4, 20 inch windshield and Honda upper and lower wind deflectors which came on the bike when I bought it. I am 6 feet tall and with the windshield in the lowest setting I am sitting in still air at interstate speeds with the visor on my full coverage helmet always open. The cockpit is quiet enough to listen to the radio speakers at 80mph unless it is an extremely windy day and I am looking well over the windshield. I also think the air deflectors help with a calm cockpit.

The F4 has a slight bend in the top that sends the wind over your head and is 2 inches wider on each side and for me works brilliantly. My wife rides with me too and says the buffeting is no worse that on my previous wings with the stock shields. Enlarge the picture below to see the deflectors.
Ive been researching those. same height as stock? thank you!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have the 20” wide version Slipstreamer and it works great. Unfortunately you have to be VERY careful with what material touches for cleaning. I used a waffle towel and Calsci cleaner and my shield had scratches that are very visible. If I were to buy again I would bite the bullet and buy a F4.
I generally use a terry cloth and Lucas Slick Mist to clean my SlipStreamer. On long trips I have also used old but clean cotton wash cloths from hotel housekeeping quarters with just water to clean and have no noticeable scratches on the shield after 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
For communications and entertainment, earbuds are great. Honda screwed up with the gaps around the mirrors.

prs

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I hear the bone stock 1833 gets around 50 MPG, but wonder about after wind management related add ons. When I removed my 2008's winter garb (mid wings, leg wings, foot wings, and +4" windshield), gas mileage went up 3-4 MPG. Glad I only need that stuff during winter. But the 1833 riders are adding bigger windshields and wind wings that will be needed year round. Does that mean y'all have to settle for less MPG once you get the wind under control with the add ons?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Kind of always bemuses me about the desire to "get in the wind" and then all the effort and modifications to keep from feeling it.

Bob said it best:

My Copper Queen has been from sea level to 11,000ft, 2 lane to superslab. Never hit enough wind to discourage me.

But then, I started on a Honda 50 over 50 years ago.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have the stock screen with a MRA X-screen extension. Doesn't matter with or without the extension the wind buffeting and noise is a lot. We didn't even talk much on our Scala units.
You have not mentioned what height you have the stock shield. I always ride with the shield at it's highest setting. Wife has never complained of buffeting and the wind doesn't blow me/us around. She and I talk on our Packtalk Bolds easily, except in VERY strong crosswinds.

I have an F4, but it was the same with the OEM Tour shield. In my experience, the F4 was a waste of money. Virtually no change in wind deflection.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Blowing the heads around. The turbulence from cars and trucks was terrible, I love this bike, but if I can't correct this I'll chose my Triumph Tiger 1200 all day long for a trip. The triumph is smooth. No helmet shake or anything,

This Goldwing moves around a lot due to the wind. I realize its bigger and such but it should cut the wind smoothly.

Advise guys?
Folks say the upper (side) deflectors help particularly for passengers. there was a thread a while ago that talked about it. We ordered the Honda upper deflectors but we've yet to take a trip with them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recently returned from a 5500 mile ride from Wis to Wa. Went through mountain roads with some pretty stiff winds. I did not find this bike much different than the 2012. I did discover that if you get down with you chest on the tank the wind has much less effect, which leads me to believe that my profile is a bigger factor in the side wind force than the profile of the bike.

Reactions: flyingz06

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have not mentioned what height you have the stock shield. I always ride with the shield at it's highest setting. Wife has never complained of buffeting and the wind doesn't blow me/us around. She and I talk on our Packtalk Bolds easily, except in VERY strong crosswinds.

I have an F4, but it was the same with the OEM Tour shield. In my experience, the F4 was a waste of money. Virtually no change in wind deflection.

stock as in standard height i do not have the touring

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Upper deflectors are a huge help for cutting down the wind on passengers.
Yes agree. makes a huge difference. with them tucked in i heard a lot of noise on her mic. cranked out, quiet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had a 1215cc Tiger Explorer. It was fully loaded, and I liked it quite well.

If that's how you feel, why not just make the move to the Triumph and sell your Wing?

I prefer the Wing. Obviously you do not.

I used to keep several "touring" style motorcycles in the garage, but over the years, I've really converged on the idea that I only need one from that genre.

Sell the Wing and buy a Ninja. Forget the pillion. Have some fun. When you want to go on a trip, take the Triumph.

FWIW, I don't find the 2019 DCT non-tour to be less wind protected than TEx was. In fact, I've found the opposite in both rain and wind. Truck wake and side winds, which it sounds like you're also complaining about, might have been slightly better on TEx, but not enough for me to complain about.

Reactions: flyingz06
1 - 20 of 68 Posts