GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is a convenient spot on my 2005 Wing to tap into the electrical wiring for my pull-behind trailer?

Trailer has the following wiring:

1 wire for ‘left turn’ signal
1 wire for ‘right turn’ signal
1 wire for ‘brake’ lights (both)
1 wire for ‘running’ lights (for tail lights & side marker lights)
1 wire for ‘ground’

I am using the 5-pin Kuryakyn Trailer Hitch Receptacle & here is the link to see it: http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6167&str=4

Some additional notes:
1 - All lights on the trailer are low-current solid state LED’s (including the side marker lights)
2 – Don’t want to buy an interconnect harness
3 - Will ‘tap’ into the Wing wiring to give me the above listed trailer wiring
5 - Will not put a 'dome light' in the trailer

THANKS, in advance, for your help!

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
To just tap in, remove the licends plate cover. You will find all the connectors in a large black boot. I wouldn't do it like you are talking about, but that is just me and enough of my opionion about that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To just tap in, remove the licends plate cover. You will find all the connectors in a large black boot. I wouldn't do it like you are talking about, but that is just me and enough of my opionion about that.
What I didn't tell everyone, I am inserting diodes in series with EACH lead... To 'splain this... diodes will conduct in one direction and not in the reverse or opposite direction. That will protect all the electronics on the bike.;)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
What if the lead you are trying to protect gets grounded? The diode will not prevent an overload.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Pop off the rear center fender. All your wires are right there on the shelf. Red connectors and blue connectors.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if the lead you are trying to protect gets grounded? The diode will not prevent an overload.
True... But, I am also going to fuse each lead.

·
Registered
247 Posts
wouldnt it be simpler to just buy a plug and play set up. they arent that expense, and they work. put one on my 04 worked first time. and no cutting wires, or splicing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts