GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving my new GoPro HD camera, but I have a small problem. I can't edit the MP4 files produced by the GoPro with Windows Movie Maker. I'm guessing that I don't have the correct CODEC. Does anyone know which CODEC I need to download or is there some good freeware out there for editing MP4 video? Any help or suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'll be watching & hoping someone can provide you your answer. I use a couple programs to do mine - but, am always "looking" for other options.

I won't mention the names of the programs I use, but, their initials are ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS 9 & NERO EXTRA VISION 10. Both are super-duper humongous programs, requiring lotsa space/speed on your 'puder. Both have support that absolutely SUCKS.

One benefit tho re: the support...... I am becoming more'n'more fluent in Pakistani........

Dave / Missourahhhhhhhh

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be watching & hoping someone can provide you your answer. I use a couple programs to do mine - but, am always "looking" for other options.

I won't mention the names of the programs I use, but, their initials are ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS 9 & NERO EXTRA VISION 10. Both are super-duper humongous programs, requiring lotsa space/speed on your 'puder. Both have support that absolutely SUCKS.

One benefit tho re: the support...... I am becoming more'n'more fluent in Pakistani........

Dave / Missourahhhhhhhh
Thanks Dave, hopefully someone will have an answer for us. I don't need one of those professional grade mega-applications. Windows Movie Maker did all I need, but it can't handle the MP4 file format used by the GoPro. I'm pretty sure if I can download the right CODEC, it will work.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
you can either use Quicktime pro to convert (which takes forever) or download this

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

Some users have also downloaded
http://www.pcfreetime.com/

which also is a converter but after the download (apparely the codec patches) movie maker started recognizing MP4 files. I cannot support this in that I have never tried it. I do all my video work on the MAC and don't have these issues. I do carry a windose based laptop on the road.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AARRGGHH!! :cus::banghead:

Someone needs to do a video about how to convert GoPro MP4 files to AVI or WMV so they can be edited with Windows Movie Maker.

I got so frustrated, I had to just walk away for a while. :-x

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Did you ask GoPro?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't use a GoPro, but you can try MP4Cam2AVI, available here.

I use Windows Live Movie Maker that's part of Windows 7. It handles MP4 just fine. Someday I'll probably buy a decent video editing software program, but for now WLMM works for me.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I finally received a response from GoPro Tech Support. For PC owners, they recommend using either "Pinnacle Studio HD" editing software or "Adobe Premier Elements". Either of these two applications will recognize and edit MP4 HD or SD video. Anyone have any experience with either of these? What are the pros and cons?

For PC users that already have editing software but it does not recognize MP4 format, a file conversion software such as "Squared5" or "VLC Media Player" (Freeware) is needed to convert your files into a format compatible with your particular editing program.

·
Registered
702 Posts
OK, I finally received a response from GoPro Tech Support. For PC owners, they recommend using either "Pinnacle Studio HD" editing software or "Adobe Premier Elements". Either of these two applications will recognize and edit MP4 HD or SD video. Anyone have any experience with either of these? What are the pros and cons?

For PC users that already have editing software but it does not recognize MP4 format, a file conversion software such as "Squared5" or "VLC Media Player" (Freeware) is needed to convert your files into a format compatible with your particular editing program.
Jim,

Pinnacle Studio HD is one of several editing programs that I have and I find it not to be as intimidating as some of the others available. Though I haven't been able to use it much since purchasing it, it is very similar to their standard def programs-and that is a good thing for me!
As I recall, the price was very reasonable-guessing in the $50 range.
I printed out the owners manual for guidance but just haven't gotten back to it.

Stu

I saw you online the other day at 4:00 AM-better be getting your rest for the great sojourn!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim,

Pinnacle Studio HD is one of several editing programs that I have and I find it not to be as intimidating as some of the others available. Though I haven't been able to use it much since purchasing it, it is very similar to their standard def programs-and that is a good thing for me!
As I recall, the price was very reasonable-guessing in the $50 range.
I printed out the owners manual for guidance but just haven't gotten back to it.

Stu

I saw you online the other day at 4:00 AM-better be getting your rest for the great sojourn!!:thumbup:
Stu,
You are correct on the price, I think it's $59. Not bad considering how much some of the other editing software costs. I think I'll give it a go and see how it does.

Just 8 days and a wake up till I head out on my trip. I'm getting so excited, It's hard to sleep! :lol: What were you doing up at 4:00 AM?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wingleader09,

MikeinWA said:

Actually, Windows Live is a suite of programs, all are available for download free. Here's a link to MOVIE MAKER.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker?os=other

Good Luck...!
I tried installing WLMM on my PC yesterday but since I already have an older version of Windows Live, it wouldn't install. I have WLMM on my netbook and it will open MP4 files but trying to do any editing with it is painfully slow. Probably because it has only 1gb of RAM. I didn't buy it to do video editing with.

I think I'll just go with "Pinnacle Studio HD" on my PC and be done with it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Stu,
You are correct on the price, I think it's $59. Not bad considering how much some of the other editing software costs. I think I'll give it a go and see how it does.

Just 8 days and a wake up till I head out on my trip. I'm getting so excited, It's hard to sleep! :lol: What were you doing up at 4:00 AM?

Jim... I believe you'll appreciate the shorter 'learning curve' of the Pinnacle. Some of these programs offer waaay too many features for what the average motorcyclist wants to achieve.
I just need to spend several uninterupted hours at each of them to get better acquainted!

The early mornings are getting pretty common around here with recent challenges concerning my wife.
I'm surprised at how many folks are up during these hours...
Please let us know how the complete GL2Way set up works out for you during your ride west.

AG GL

·
Registered
792 Posts
1 - if you want a quick converter, use handbrake. Simple and fast and quality is great.

2 - I drag my files off the go pro directly into movie maker without issue using windows 7. No conversion required. You do have to have QuickTime installed, but there is no pre conversion required.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Jim... I believe you'll appreciate the shorter 'learning curve' of the Pinnacle. Some of these programs offer waaay too many features for what the average motorcyclist wants to achieve.
I just need to spend several uninterupted hours at each of them to get better acquainted!

The early mornings are getting pretty common around here with recent challenges concerning my wife.
I'm surprised at how many folks are up during these hours...
Please let us know how the complete GL2Way set up works out for you during your ride west.

AG GL

Frame by frame cuts and fast scrubbing of your video is much better in movie maker. Pinnacle is good - I use it for other things, but it lags movie maker in terms of speed when moving through frames. At least on my beast of a PC.

·
Registered
792 Posts

Premier is a great program - many advanced features. Elements is a stripped down version.

For simple editing movie maker or pinnacle are hard to beat. Both are drag and drop but as stated, movie maker is the faster program. My main complaint with MM is it really prefers wmv for output and I prefer mp4. I've run my wmv through handbrake to convert to mp4 and usually save several hundred MB in file size, but have unlimited storage space so it's not really an issue.

You cacn do split screen views with pinnacle, but it's not as smooth as with the full version of adobe or even Sony Vegas - another great option.

All depends on your taste I guess.

I run two go pros so I'm always dragging multiple inputs onto the editing table. MM is hard to beat for it's speed, capability, and stability.

There are so many patches for pinnacle they're hard to keep track of. I used pinnacle exclusively for HD video for a long time (HD capture off my cable box into a laptop..). It's idle and replaced by MM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts