GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Not new to this bike but I'm finally going to give in and give a CT a try.
I'm trying to pick the BEST one for my needs.
Goals are longer life without giving up much if anything in the way of handling. By handling I mean wicking it up in the mountains. As a Wolf Pack member a few here can attest that I dive into corners sometimes VERY hard. I was all set to try the Alpin ZAP3 since it seems to be such a popular choice but have heard from a few that it "folds up" when pushed really hard. I don't think I would enjoy a spirited ride if I had to back off because of the tire (we already back off because of the type of bike we ride).
Thing is I already have an Alpin in the garage that I got on a deal last year but I don't want to go through the trouble of getting it mounted when there is something better out there for my needs.
Some other popular choices I've been reading about (I only recently started following the DS forum) are the Falken and the Yokohoma
The Falken seems to have a reputation for wearing just as fast as a motorcycle tire.
The Yokohoma is a newer choice and not a lot of info/posts yet but is compared to the Michelin Alpin.....

Give me your ideas, links to discussions of other tire candidates and even a link to the best source/price for your tire recommendation.

Thanks in advance

Wayniac

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have a Yokohama and have put about 1k miles on it. So far I love it. I'm pretty darn spirited.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
wayne talk to jamie - think hes tried bunch of rf

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Wayne. I have a Falken mounted on a rim in my garage you are welcome to try. It only has a couple of hundred miles on it. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Wayne, the Yoko ZPS is what I was running last year but I wore the edges off in 3,000 miles with plenty of tread in the center. If you run more slab you will get a lot more miles. I switched to the Falken last November and absolutely love it! Don't get me wrong the Yoko is an excellent tire.

Generally you can figure 25% better wear with a CT over a MT but you gain more traction.

It's gonna be a trade off on whats important to you, safety of a RF or performance of the Falken.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Wayne. I have a Falken mounted on a rim in my garage you are welcome to try. It only has a couple of hundred miles on it. Let me know.
I also have a "stone ROF on my bike you are welcome to try. Hey, I let you ride my Duc. and I know you can ride a Wing!!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Hey Wayne. I have run the Alpin PA103 just about as hard as anyone on the flats and in the mountain's! I chased OBT on his 1200 Beemer last June at Bryson City. Not once did I ever feel uncomfortable with the way that tire handled. Fabulous rain tire too! I certainly would not be concerned in putting that tire on and running the heck out of it! I run 27 lbs on the slabs and 32-34 lbs in the mountains.

PS if you don't want the tire, I'll give you $25.00 for it? I'll pick it up on my way down in November.
:roll::thumbup: :joke:

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Wayne, I have run both the Yoko and the Alpin. MY .02 worth. The Alpin is a smoother riding tire than the Yoko. But the Yoko is smoother than a MT. The Alpin acted up on me a couple times when pushed hard in the twisties. The Yoko holds true in the twisties for me.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I would go with the Yoko myself.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wayne, the Yoko ZPS is what I was running last year but I wore the edges off in 3,000 miles with plenty of tread in the center. If you run more slab you will get a lot more miles. I switched to the Falken last November and absolutely love it! Don't get me wrong the Yoko is an excellent tire.

Generally you can figure 25% better wear with a CT over a MT but you gain more traction.

It's gonna be a trade off on whats important to you, safety of a RF or performance of the Falken.
Sounds like I need to avoid the Yoko if the edges can be worn down in 3,000 miles. I remember riding with Robeth when his CT wore out at the edges well before the rest of the tire (don't remember the brand).

I also have a "stone ROF on my bike you are welcome to try. Hey, I let you ride my Duc. and I know you can ride a Wing!!
Awesome Jamie, I'll have to take you up on that. That Duc was awesome! They should have saved the name monster for that one!

Hey Wayne. I have run the Alpin PA103 just about as hard as anyone on the flats and in the mountain's! I chased OBT on his 1200 Beemer last June at Bryson City. Not once did I ever feel uncomfortable with the way that tire handled. Fabulous rain tire too! I certainly would not be concerned in putting that tire on and running the heck out of it! I run 27 lbs on the slabs and 32-34 lbs in the mountains.

PS if you don't want the tire, I'll give you $25.00 for it? I'll pick it up on my way down in November.
:roll::thumbup: :joke:
It's starting to sound like running a higher pressure can fix some of the felt or perceived sidewall flex.

You Canadians....always trying to get a deal.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wayne, I have run both the Yoko and the Alpin. MY .02 worth. The Alpin is a smoother riding tire than the Yoko. But the Yoko is smoother than a MT. The Alpin acted up on me a couple times when pushed hard in the twisties. The Yoko holds true in the twisties for me.
This is similar to what I have been hearing. I'd like the tire that "holds true in the twisties" but this one has a reputation for wearing out to quickly

If you are really wanting to use up the Alpin, pump it up extra hard. I ran mine around 46.
Keep the suggestions coming....if I don't get any better tire suggestions I may run the Alpin at higher pressures.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I ran my Falken at 46 and the Yokohama run flat at 32

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
which Alpin

been looking up Alpin tires on the net and see several different ones: AP3 ZP, Primacy PA3 etc. Are they all the same or what are the differences?
HaRvey

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
:roll::roll:i know zp = zero pressure = runflat

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
For hard twisty riding, I would put about 36-39 in a runflat tire, and see how it did. I normally run 33-36 anyway in my run flats. Traction wise you are better off than mc tire anyway.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey Wayne, I rode with you for a few days on YWSSR last fall. On my Michelin Alpin. If you don't get any more ham fisted with your inputs than I do, and I believe you've run up on me in a corner or two, the Mich works just fine. I felt it slip/step out once on the first corner the first time I took it to Deal's Gap. After that little moment, I have never had it slip once since, knowing that I had to be smoother and not slam on the brakes like a Flatlander. Think I'll be on my Mich in Franklin in a couple of weeks. I think it will work great for you. Not sure but I think the tire that Robeth had a moment with, or at least the one that I had to leave for home 1 day early because of a worn tread, was the Pirelli Eufori. Loved that tire but several others besides me had that happen. You leave home and think you have plenty of tire but a few hard days can get the better of the tire. On the plus side, I did the over 600 miles home with the cords and wires sticking out of the edge of the tire and didn't worry one bit about making it home. And then rode it around here for a week until I could get another one. I think you'd love the Mich although to be honest, if I didn't have a new one in the garage already I'd probably go with an Avid.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your response Ray.

Looks like you got a new bike?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hello
Not new to this bike but I'm finally going to give in and give a CT a try.
I'm trying to pick the BEST one for my needs.
Goals are longer life without giving up much if anything in the way of handling. By handling I mean wicking it up in the mountains. As a Wolf Pack member a few here can attest that I dive into corners sometimes VERY hard. I was all set to try the Alpin ZAP3 since it seems to be such a popular choice but have heard from a few that it "folds up" when pushed really hard. I don't think I would enjoy a spirited ride if I had to back off because of the tire (we already back off because of the type of bike we ride).
Thing is I already have an Alpin in the garage that I got on a deal last year but I don't want to go through the trouble of getting it mounted when there is something better out there for my needs.
Some other popular choices I've been reading about (I only recently started following the DS forum) are the Falken and the Yokohoma
The Falken seems to have a reputation for wearing just as fast as a motorcycle tire.
The Yokohoma is a newer choice and not a lot of info/posts yet but is compared to the Michelin Alpin.....

Give me your ideas, links to discussions of other tire candidates and even a link to the best source/price for your tire recommendation.

Thanks in advance

Wayniac
I think you will be fine with the Alpin...If not...I will buy it if you want to change to something different.:thumbup: I need to order one soon anyway!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I would go along with the comments that the Alpin is a great tire to start for trying a CT. From there one may want to go to the Yokahama. But then... perhaps not. Your choice and conditions will tell. I really like the run-flat for assurance out in the boonies!!!

Corventure

1 - 20 of 27 Posts