GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi ...

I am looking to buy a good Goldwing Chock to hold my Goldwing in place for the trip home to Tennessee from California.

My son-in-law is going to trailer it probably in a u-haul trailer. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it very much. I think he knows how to secure it but any lessons learn would help. I have experience riding but never trailing it.

TIA

Donnie

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
229 Posts
The one I have (and most require) that you drill holes in the floor to secure it. Do not get the Harbor Freight model as it will not fit the wheel and fender. In addition to the chock you should have straps from the triple T to the floor or side walls.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,977 Posts
I have a Condor and like it a lot. If you want I can send pictures when I get home. Pretty pricey, but very good in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
U-Haul Trailer

Donnie,

U-Haul has a 5x9 open top trailer that has a V-notch in the middle front wall and tie down rings for hauling motorcycles. I haven't used it personally but looked at one next to a restaurant we visit. Might be an option vs buying a chock. Most U-Haul vendors have one on the lot frequently.

Mike

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x9-Utility-Trailer-With-Ramp-Rental/RT/

·
Registered
108 Posts
Donnie,

U-Haul has a 5x9 open top trailer that has a V-notch in the middle front wall and tie down rings for hauling motorcycles. I haven't used it personally but looked at one next to a restaurant we visit. Might be an option vs buying a chock. Most U-Haul vendors have one on the lot frequently.

Mike

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x9-Utility-Trailer-With-Ramp-Rental/RT/

I have used one of these trailers and can verify they hold the bike very securely.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Aloha Donnieontheroad,

I too can attest to the U-Haul 5X9 open trailer along with Turbine Driver and rob.lafady
I used it to transport my 2018 from Alabama to Oklahoma.
U-Haul is pretty reasonable price wise and you can do the one-way rental too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
If you find a trailer that has E track on the floor, condor has a kit that will fasten to the E track without drilling any holes.
The E track system also has rings that can be fastened to the track at whatever location is desired.

·
Registered
390 Posts
will need at least

tie down rings in the floor for the straps from the bike.
Several good suggestions on the wheel chock, I use one of the self locking types.
I also have an across the handlebars tie down (similar to what the motocross bikes often use) that I use when using a self lock chock.

If the floor is wood, I have also 'made a chock' by screwing 2x4's down to the floor to keep the front end stable. Easy to go 2 high if you feel it is necessary. then just unscrew them before returning the trailer.

I then used soft ties around the tree to tie the front end down, and took the side covers off and used soft ties on the frame there.
I have also tied off on the trailer hitch on my bike.

Good luck getting the bike home
bryon

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
U-Haul actually has two sizes of trailer with the V-notch in the front. I've used the smaller of the two a few times - running the front wheel into the notch and then strapping the bike down using the standard methods (straps around the lower triple-tree in the front and frame rails in the back). No need for a separate chock.

In my experience, U-Haul won't let you use the small trailer for a one-way trip, but the next size up (which I've never used) also has the V-notch and the tie-down rings (and they will let it go for one-way trips).

I've always used the smaller one because it's lighter, and let's me stay under my tow-vehicle's rated capacity of 1500#.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'll be using the 5x9 "RT" trailer at the end of the month. I went to U-Haul yesterday to get measurements and everything looks like it will fit just fine, assuming I get the same kind of trailer I measured.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Donnie , I think you just need an inexpensive wheel chock that will do the job until you get the bike home. Since this is most likely a one time event to trailer your bike ,a cheap chock is all you need. You can get a Pengel Wheel Chock from Amazon for about $30.00. and it can be delivered in 2 days . Easy to install and uninstall without any damage to floor of trailer . your tie downs will hold it secure in the chock and keep it from sliding side to side . :thumbup:
wheel chock 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks

Thanks for all the useful advice and recommendations!

I will discuss these with my son-in-law David. We will make the right choice ... Thank you ... my Baby is finally coming home next month!

It will be so good to see it again. Some day I hope to ride it again ... check that ... I will!

Thanks!

Donnie

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Hi ...

I am looking to buy a good Goldwing Chock to hold my Goldwing in place for the trip home to Tennessee from California.

My son-in-law is going to trailer it probably in a u-haul trailer. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it very much. I think he knows how to secure it but any lessons learn would help. I have experience riding but never trailing it.

TIA

Donnie
Your going to need the front wheel locking chuck and the line the front and rear down with d rings to the deck wood screw with wood deck or tect screw if medal and to not use the crash bars . I use short looped
Straps 2 in front and rear then to the deck Good luck

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I used the Pengel type as that was in my toy hauler when I purchased it. My wing fell over and did $4000.00 worth of damage to it. Therefore I personally wouldn’t use the Pengel style. I did have the wing tied down properly also. I bought a Wheeldock immediately open returning from that trip. Hope you get your Wing home safe and sound Donnie. Still thinking of you and lifting prayers for your “complete healing”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts