GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed modulating headlights two days ago. Was a real dog.
Today I washed and found a electric plug dangling under the area of the headlight. small two wire plug- female - small black and white wires. I checked all the switches and all works. the wire might have come out of the bundle under the left pocket but I have not found anything yet. there is rubber tubing around the wires.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If every thing is working,,, All is good.

But if you have a Ring of Fire check to see if they are on

Headlight modulators,,,,,:eek:4: Yuck!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
plug problem

No ring of fire. The wire was not there before. I tried to get to the headlights by removing the plastic under the lights but that didn't work.
Never got the plastic to release, so I just put it back. I think the wire
may have been under that plastic piece.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Double Yuck

16 year old, looking over her shoulder, telling the cop that "I didn't see them" as they load the riders into the back of the transport. Double Yuck.

·
Registered
889 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have had a headlight modulator on my last two motorcycles and now a trike. Do not see many other motorcycles with them, but today in the bright sun I see flickering headlights coming towards me at least two miles away.

That got my attention and it did stand out.

I just do not understand (not a flame) why others do not share my enthusiasm of using available products to alert drivers as to my presence.

Having modulators do not relieve me of my responsibility to SEE:

Search - Evaluate - Execute.

However, when I ride with groups I have a velcro cover that turns off the modulators so they do not bug the riders in front of me.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I had it on one of my bikes. Thought about it on this latest one. In end decided not to

Bottom line for me. It pissed more people off than it so called saved me from. And I believe that every single person that would have pulled out, turned, changed lane ect... and all of the sudden didn't because of my modulator did not pose a threat to me anyways. I always saw them before they saw me. There was not a single instance that I feel the modulator "saved" me. Yes, people did notice me more, didn't matter though since I also always noticed them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Today I washed and found a electric plug dangling under the area of the headlight. small two wire plug- female - small black and white wires. I checked all the switches and all works.

The last modulator I used had a sensor at the end of a wire you placed somewhere out of the way of direct light.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Comanche,

Good for you, Sir! Having a bike directly behind me with the modulator flashing is really distracting for me and one of the reasons I don't like them. I agree that they are attention getters, but I have also seen vehicles pull over when they see them coming up behind because of confusion with emergency vehicles? If you can kill your modulator when riding with a group, that makes it much better on the riders in front of you. I commend you for your thoughtfulness!!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think there is an accessory plug up there. I have been told it is for things like the caliper cover lights or ring of fire, stuff like that. I have not seen it on either of my bikes, but I really havent looked for it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I like my modulator. I just like to flash people. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I would encourage the discourteous, clueless person who modulates his headlamps while traveling in a pack or when overtaking traffic to pass me and get on with his business. Modulators offer definite safety advantages when used properly but can be downright annoying when used without discretion or common sense, IMO.

I always wire my modulators to the high beam circuit. There is no reason for the high beam to be used in daylight except as a modulating lamp and the control pannel indicates when the high beam circuit is in use.

Comanche,

Good for you, Sir! Having a bike directly behind me with the modulator flashing is really distracting for me and one of the reasons I don't like them. I agree that they are attention getters, but I have also seen vehicles pull over when they see them coming up behind because of confusion with emergency vehicles? If you can kill your modulator when riding with a group, that makes it much better on the riders in front of you. I commend you for your thoughtfulness!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts