GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The screw in the end caps of the hannd grips keep backing out. I've made sure the end is set right with the groves on the inside. but the screw keeps backing out. this is on both sides. the left comes loose sooner.

Any ideas?

TIA.

·
Registered
471 Posts
A little dab of silicone.......then Tighten down...you can still break it loose if need be...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also found that when you tighten down the screw, make sure you are holding the weight with your other hand, tightly.
Otherwise the rubber bushing in the bar that the screw goes into, starts turning and you only tighten the screw very little, probably why it keeps loosening up on you.
Also, a few drops of MEDIUM strength Locktite or a few drops of silicone, would not hurt, but the reason I stress that is because too much, or the heavy duty stuff... as they say... you a'int gettin that screw back out..(well, there are ways, but not for this application..);)

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Honda says to replace the screw, probably because it has a mild locking agent on it. A tiny dib of medium Locktite would probably substitute, or even a modest wrap with white plumbers' tefelon tape.

prs

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
put a rag around the weight so you don't scratch it and then grip it with plyers to hold it tight, them tighten the screw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had an end fall off 2 times while riding. So I decided to us some locktight, unfortunately it must have been to much now I cant remove the screw, its stripped out. :22yikes:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I took mine off when new. I don't like the stock grips. I have noticed no difference.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The loctite (blue) does a good job and it also allows with a little careful effort to remove the screw again without stripping the threads. Don't go overboard with the amount of loctite that you put on to begin with.

Safe riding

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
The heads of the "Phillips" screws on these bkes are not exactly the same as our Phillips, so it is easy to strip. Some folks grind the sharp tip off of American standard Phillips to get a better fit, you can get Japaneese standard drivers. Fred H. gave a source recently.

prs

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
The cheome ends I replaced mine with (from e-bay) came with allen heads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts