GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Wing with Hannigan trike kit for 2 years now and had a recent development where the left wheel rubs the inside of the left fender.
Doesn't seem like fender is riding on tire when sitting still, so I'm assuming it's something that happens on rough roads.

When looking underneath, there is a difference in clearances of wheel to parts between right and left sides
Right side has 1/2" horizontal clearance to tire. Obviously, left side doesn't.
I've checked the shocks and it doesn't look like there are any problems with leakage, etc.

The tires are Michelin 195/60R15 which is what came with the trike which I've ridden on for the past 2 years.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have a 2 week trip coming up and trike will be loaded with wife & trailer. I'm concerned that the rubbing will be greater (due to the trailer, not the wife.... of course:roll:)
I can only think of a few options.

1) Find the mounting points and move the body 1/4" to the left - but I have no clue where the mounting points are and not sure how confident I feel about disassembling and reassembling.
2) Install narrower tires (175/65R15? - about the same height but 6.9" wide instead of the current 7.7") = about $300 and tossing tires with less than 5k on them.
3) Replace Shocks "just in case" they might be the problem? -- probably $500-$600.
4) ?????

The closest Hannigan dealer to me is in Salt Lake City (850 miles away), so it looks like I'm the one who has to fix it.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
Wow, that’s a good one. Changing the tires would equate to removing a lit warning light. The problem still exists. My WAG is the body has shifted. Which still doesn’t really make sense either. You may get better results if posted in the tech section however the post may get moved. The photos are very good but I don’t know. Are there any other trike dealers closer than SLC? There is a MT dealer in tri-cities. Richland I think. You’ll have to enlighten us once the issue is resolved. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Don’t know anything about Hannigan but on a MotorTrike, bad shock bushings will cause the tires to start rubbing the body when hitting bumps and high places in the road.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well, you're probably not a dumb as I was in my 20s, but once I had my rear tire on my '82 GW start to rub. I simply put air in the tire without a good working gauge (not many were good and working in the mid 80s) and put too much air in. Probably not your issue, but just in case. If you recently put air in the tires, maybe your gauge wasn't working properly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don’t have a Hannigan but from all I’ve heard the Hannigan factory support is very good. I think I’d make a call.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not being a smart a$$ but is the body of the trike loose? Did it shift? I had to take mine to Motor Trike because the "Honda 'tech'" guy didn't know what he was doing. They, Motor Trike, had to move the body back and tilt the front up. Good reason I do my own work....

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
QT that is one dam good looking trike. The wheels really pop. Don’t care for aqua shields. We didn’t opt for them on our conversions. Good job. Very sharp.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Does your trike have a centering rod that has bushings in the ends that centers the rear end where it should be?

Can't think what this rod is called but lot's of setups have a bar to center the differential.

Barney

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally thought to put a level against each wheel and found the left wheel was out of alignment (camber).
Wheel was tilted outward, thus rubbing on the fender.
Was finally able to find someone who would adjust the wheel straight.
(tire shop only does 4 wheel vehicle alignments; Honda Dealer won't touch trikes; Harley Dealer won't touch anything but a Harley.... but they gave me a contact to a guy who owns a bike repair & auto repair shop)
I'm still going to look into adjusting the body over 1/4" to 3/8". And I need to figure out why the camber went out.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah, why did the camber change? Dam good question. What is there to adjust? Not like the front of an auto with cam and caster adjustments. Is the IRS at fault? You will have to let us know.:shrug:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had a similar situation on my trike. Took it to Hannigan in Murray, KY. They noticed the variance was off and adjusted the rear. Might give them a call; they were fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts