GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not like I can't turn left or don't know how to do it. Jeez, I live in the very heart of NASCAR country. No. My problem is that I don't like to run it in deep, or get anywhere near that gravelly edge. I have no problem running the bike up to the yellow line (assuming no one is coming in the opposite lane) and quick turning the bike, but that white line makes me nervous. You?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'm always suspicious of "that gravelly edge" myself. I'm probably slower thru left-handers than right-handers.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Search for Ride Like Pro. Their DVDs are awesome. If you practice the skills covered, I suspect you will be OK.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just remember that what you are looking at with your eyes is where your bike will go. I tend to look as far ahead into the corner as I can and focus on the center of the lane and usually stay away from the garvel. I work at this everytime I ride and have pretty much overcome my fear of lefthanders to the point that I can drag parts now and then.

·
Registered
166 Posts
i feared the gravel edges for a while, so i rode the edge alot and now i dont fear them anymore.:doorag:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Many years ago I went left all the time. Not so much anymore...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just make one right turn and one right u turn and you are going left. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The left turns don't seem to bother me much, maybe because I am left handed. The right curves are getting better. The right turn, as in making a right turn in town, get touchy. The throttle is jerky in 1st gear, so I try to keep the turns in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I start off in 1st gear when the bike is cold. After it warms up, it never sees 1st gear again unless I do it by accident. One of the things I like about the Goldwing gearing - 2nd gear is a dang good 1st gear.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Couple of thoughts. Remember to look where you want to go, not at the edge of the road. Practice some figure 8's every week in a parking lot. And take an MSF class if it has been a while. I call it "mind over matter" whenever I'm forcing my eyes and head to look and move somewhere they don't instinctively want to go. Just takes practice.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Don't be in a rush to get faster.It will come as your confidence increases.

You can get comfortable with the right edge of the road by riding next to it while going straight.

Don't look at the edge but rather at an imaginery line about 6" from the edge.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I will give you the bad news...you are riding your bike wrong:22yikes:....the white line or gravel edge will only come into play if you are lowering your head and looking downward in your turns...raise your head and look forward to your next turn...the white line fear will disappear...ask any motorcycle cop training instructor....that is why they can weave in between the cones when they are so close.....

Safe Rides

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Find your local MSF school and take an ERC (now called BRC II).

If you (and others who replied) are having those problems there are more things wrong.

The course will work on your head and eyes, throttle control and techniques for properly negotiating curves. If you are doing it right, neither rights nor lefts will matter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yep, pick a line and look threw the corner. Only use your peripheral vision to stay in your line. Start slow it will come to you.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
turns....

All of the above! You do have to find something that will work for you and practice it. You have at least gotten past the hard part. Realizing such a specific problem and wanting to do something about it. When I first started riding, I had a CL70 Honda (duel sport before duel sport). I was basically afraid to lean. Sort of makes fast turns impossible in any direction. Then one day, I made a bad choice going past a gravel mound in a left turn at an intersection that always had a gravel mound dead center. I put myself in a position where I had to lean more than usual to make the turn. I ended up hitting the curb and landing on cement steps on the back end of the turn. I realized that I had to do something about that fear or I was going to be in trouble. I found a horseshoe shaped road and practiced increasing speed as I felt more comfortable. These days, about 375,000 miles later and I am scraping the pegs in a parking lot at about 5-10 mph on my GL1800.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Two wrongs do not make a right but three rights will make a left . . .

I also stay away from the gravel edge. Instead I aim for the middle of the lane. I agree with looking ahead picking the middle of the lane way before the turn even begins. Some lefts I can accelerate from second to third while others, usually because of traffic (I am in So Cal) are slower. Either way I have chosen my line. On left turns I do not like pushing my bike to the edge instead I want that smooth, flowing turn and if I can I like to accelerate out of instead of accelerating into. Good Riding . . .

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Most people prefer to turn one way more than the other. Left hand curves gave me grief years ago. I did get more comfortable over time but I would still crowd the center line. What really fixed it for me was something that Yellowwolf posted here. He said to line your mirror up with the yellow line and that will keep you in the center of the lane. I can see it out of the corner of my eye with out focusing on it. If the mirror is on the line then I don't have to worry about the gravel. After I was confident that I was in the center then I was able to enter the curve from the outside edge and cut in to the yellow line and back out. With my mind tuned to the distance between the mirror and the line I was not looking or thinking about the edge. Neat trick.

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I first read the title of this post, I wasn't sure what it meant, and chuckled. For me, my fear is making any turns at all as I don't want to go back home. I just want to keep riding.

Hmmm... I guess I never really thought about this. I assumed when I go into a left turn I stay close the center line. I will have to see if I missed something to be sure I am not driving through gravel. I thought I was staying away from it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts