GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I live in Southern Nevada and I'm about to buy a 2008 GL1800. I want to use my iPhone for music and nav. On a previous Goldwing I rode, my iPhone kept overheating within an hour of use. Does anyone who rides in the Southwest have a way to prevent this from occurring?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It may help if you share some info about how your phone was kept/stored/carried on your wing when it was overheating, how you were using the phone, etc…

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,097 Posts
I live in Florida. My iPhone never overheats because it's in the open air mounted on the handlebar. It's waterproof, so no problems there either. Besides, if it's raining, I can pocket it or put it in the cubby: no heat issues during rainstorms. For desert temps: I've ridden out west when it was 117 in the shade. iPhone went in my pocket and it did just fine. Navigation wasn't as easy as I had to depend on audio instead of visually seeing the map, but it did fine when it was really hot. Inside my pocket keeps the temp moderated to less than 100.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
If it's a newer one, beware there's a problem with vibrations from riding damaging the cameras -- not Goldwing specific, just general. Quad lock sells a shock absorber for their mount, which my iFriends recommend. I am not an iPerson.

I like the open air idea, above.

·
Registered
159 Posts
More than a few times I have wrapped one of these neck cooler (or similar) that you soak for 15 minutes and are filled with beads that absorb water. That works REALY well to keep it cool enough. I have left the screen pretty open and more focused on being sure the back of the phone had good contact with the neck cooler. I always have a zip lock with me that I can use to store the wet neck cooler or recharge it. I also use one on my neck when its really hot (over 110*) here in AZ.

I normally only have that issue if I am running GPS for navigation and using music etc. while charging. Since using a dedicated gps I haven't had to use the neck cooler on my phone.

• Helpful
Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It also helps if your phone isn't too busy with apps running in the background which heats up the battery and other things. I'm ALWAYS closing out apps if I'm not using them, and it's easy, not sure if you know about this, I'm not trying to show disrespect. But from your home screen, touch the bottom of the screen and hold then swipe up to the center and stop. The apps that are currently running will show up and you can swipe the ones you don't want up and away. You can easily slide them to the right to make it easier to "grab" them and swipe them out.

·
Premium Member
2021 Golding Bagger, 2006 GL1800P
525 Posts
I use a quadlock mounted to the left handlebar with wireless charging for my iPhone 13max, running Apple Car Play, using Apple Maps and streaming music in 106 degree heat and had no issues with heat at all. I extended the USB cable to the mount from the front cubby. (Note: my bike is heavily modified for LD Rally riding with mounts that I made.)

Reactions: Gnarly

·
Registered
2022 Goldwing DCT Tour - CSC Encore Trike
2 Posts
I use a quadlock mounted to the left handlebar with wireless charging for my iPhone 13max, running Apple Car Play, using Apple Maps and streaming music in 106 degree heat and had no issues with heat at all. I extended the USB cable to the mount from the front cubby. (Note: my bike is heavily modified for LD Rally riding with mounts that I made.)
Hey Auburn,
Which adapter did you use to mount the quadlock on the handlebar?
I have 2022 DCT but couldn't find a suitable adapter from quadlock.
Thank is advance

·
Registered
348 Posts
I put the phone in the left pocket, plugged into a charger, and playing music. I leave the pocket door open to allow some air circulation. It still gets hot but not so hot it shuts down. I'm wondering if the constant charging causes more heat buildup. My next ride I will try waiting until later in the day to start recharging.

·
Premium Member
2021 Golding Bagger, 2006 GL1800P
525 Posts
Hey Auburn,
Which adapter did you use to mount the quadlock on the handlebar?
I have 2022 DCT but couldn't find a suitable adapter from quadlock.
Thank is advance
I started with a RAM-B-309-1U which bolts to the clutch mounting bolts.

I have since switched to RAM-B-367U because I have the Heli bars system, and this replaces one of the bolts that holds the handlebar. I also made a bracket to hold my warm and safe heated gear controller and my Clearwater LED aux light controller. This one also put the phone where I wanted it to be for ease of access while riding down the road. I did run an extension cable from the pocket to the phone so I can plug it in for Apple Car Play. I am looking a several systems for accomplishing that wirelessly through a Bluetooth adapter. Right now, I have not found one that works well enough to make the switch yet.

There are many options depending on what you want to accomplish here at the Ram Mount website.

Reactions: Easy80

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
281 Posts
I put the phone in the left pocket, plugged into a charger, and playing music. I leave the pocket door open to allow some air circulation. It still gets hot but not so hot it shuts down. I'm wondering if the constant charging causes more heat buildup. My next ride I will try waiting until later in the day to start recharging.
I added Heat Reflective tape to the bottom inside/outside of my left pocket and to the inside of the lid. It helps some but my Android Galaxy phone still can overheat and stop charging, but everything else continues to work. Charging will generate the MOST heat in a smartphone. The heat is worst when I'm parked in the Sun and I forget to take the phone out of the pocket.
EDIT: Now that I read this...I believe most of the heat is coming from the Sun's UV radiation. I should probably add more layers of tape to the lid and remove all the tape from the pocket/box. May even consider drilling some holes in the bottom of the pocket/box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts