GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just went and bought the wife and me jacket liners.

Any suggestions on how or what is an easy way to wire them up without them (wires) being in the way constantly.

I do not want to drill any holes anywhere so I bought the mobile controller. Thoughts?

Thanks

Jamie

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I use a widder thermostat and store it in my tank(hopple) pouch. I run the wires straight from the battery hookups. For the passenger, I run the wires up next to the seat and tie them to the Kuryayn drivers backrest. Out of the way! Works good for me. I too, didn't want to drill any holes for permanent mounts.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
jamie said:
Well I just went and bought the wife and me jacket liners.

Any suggestions on how or what is an easy way to wire them up without them (wires) being in the way constantly.

I do not want to drill any holes anywhere so I bought the mobile controller. Thoughts?

Thanks

Jamie
Jamie - even with the portable controller (I myself like the dual permanent for the reasons you are seeking), I would still setup a plugin adapter for the power to your controller. It's simply far far easier once you start using them and are constantly on and off the bike. I know there are options for running the wires out the side or under the seat, but get some of the smaller plug-ins that use a small space and bite the bullet. It looks good and after a season of use you will thank yourself for going the extra foot or two on a good professional looking installation and hookup.

DaleC

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I ran the wire under the seat and out in front of the left side cover. No hole drilling. When not in use, all the wires tuck up under the plastic, out of sight. I also got the dual portable and I stuck it in the neat little pocket on my chaps with the buttons sticking out the top. If I didn't already have a pocket, i was going to have a pouch sewed to the front of my riding jacket. Still might.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
On my 05 I run the power wires under the top shelter to the battery, I ran the wires from the top near the spot where the clutch cable comes out of the shelter, I didn't remove the top shelter, take the left glove box out and work that way. I hooked the power up to a fused terminal block...I then took a Dremel tool and shaved off the underside of the left handle bar controls, where the cord hook is located and Velcroed the portable controler there. I then ran the wires from the portable controler down the handle bar with the other wires there, placed a loose cable tie on the wire, that way I could pull it out and hook up, the other I hooked up to the power cord that I earlier ran under the shelter.

It looked clean and I could remove it when I sold the bike and not leave any marks or holes....Did the same with the GPS wires.....

No, I didn't take any pictures, should have :?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hey Jamie!

I also just bought Gerbings, I got the G3 gloves, socks, pant liner, jacket liner and dual portable controller (2 bikes).
Anywho, I ran my wire under the seat to come around the rear behind the small middle cushion on the passenger backrest. That way it stays out of site behind the seat when not in use and when needed, I just fold the cushion forward, pull it out and it sits near the passenger grab rail connected to the dual contoller which is in my left pant pocket. This works really well, I don't feel any wires.
I have a plug in for my battery tender connected from the battery straight down under the "GL1800" cover that sticks out and rests on the folded up passenger peg out of site. This works well also, I just like the Gerbing connector located behind me better. I can't wait 'til November to try it all out riding from GA to NH and MA.

Steve

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Poopie. I just opened my box from Gerbing and they sent me the single Perm Temp Contoller instead of the Dual. I want the Perm one for the clean look it will give I believe. I am not sure where I am going to mount it though. I am thinking about the panel for the suspension panel. Anybody have any good ideas. I really dont feel like taking my top shelter off if I dont have to.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I used the EC left fairing pouch replacement panel. I added the BMW outlets, along with a power plug and a few switches. I didn't need to remove the shelter and when it's time to sell I can replace the pouch and restore the bike to it's original configuation.

You'll love your investment!

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
All I have are the gloves, but I just ran the main wire from the battery to the little opening in the back of battery side cover. When I use the gloves, I plug the portable controller in and stuff it under the left wing of the driver's seatback, then plug my harness to the gloves (I've attached the harness to the outside of my USA Bikers Dream Apparel Thinsulate jacket liner, since I'll only need to plug in the gloves when it is cold enough to need the liner). The only hastle is plugging the gloves in and tucking the cords away in my sleaves. I'll get the hang of it once it cools down some more, I'm sure. When I'm not using the gloves I just disconnect the portable controller and throw it in the trunk with the gloves.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I starting to wonder if I should have ordered the liner with dual controller just in case we get the liner pants or..

Thanks everyone, I still am confused yet on what or how to do it until I get out there and look at it good and hard.

Keep the suggestions coming. Pictures are worth 1000 words ya know!!

Hi Steve (daddysbike) how are tricks down there? sounds like your liven up here in MN with the gear you bought!!! Toyo too, I think of you guys liven in the south, guess I forget it can cold & damp down there...

Jamie

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
jamie said:
Now I starting to wonder if I should have ordered the liner with dual controller just in case we get the liner pants or..

Thanks everyone, I still am confused yet on what or how to do it until I get out there and look at it good and hard.

Keep the suggestions coming. Pictures are worth 1000 words ya know!!

Hi Steve (daddysbike) how are tricks down there? sounds like your liven up here in MN with the gear you bought!!! Toyo too, I think of you guys liven in the south, guess I forget it can cold & damp down there...

Jamie
Hey Jamie,

It does get cold in the winter mornings. Riding to work it is often in the teens and twenties. I ride 65 miles backroads each way ~1.5 hr and get cold after 30minutes wearing Tourmaster/Cortech winter pants,jacket/gloves and multiple layers. Now I can also head out early on the weekend when its in the 20s and 30s and take off the electrics when it hits the 40s and 50s later in the day. Riding with less clothes/weight and being warmer is going to be great.

Steve

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pictures are worth 1000 words ya know!!
Yup, pictures help! ...so here are a few.
Im in agreement with Dale C and others...permenant mounting is my choice.

The lower knob is my Gerbing temp controller. I used a BMW plug on the left pocket to plug my liner in.

My brides Gerbing controller is mounted inside the left passenger storage box near the top of the box (you can still close the box).. This leaves plenty of room in that box for typical storage items. Her liner plug is tucked in behind the lower seat back on the left side. She just pulls it out when she needs it.

Both the rider and the passenger units are wired to a switched (turns off when the ignition key is turned off) auxilary fuse panel from Electrical Connections.

Hope this has been helpful.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Swec - I like your idea of mounting the controller knob inside the left rear pocket since it can be set by the passenger and the door closed so all is neat. I still prefer the idea of mounting something like a Size N Panel-Mount Coaxial DC Power Jack (available from Radio Shack for $2.79) and using one of Gerbings small plastic caps when not used on the side, so all your passenger has to do is plug in their wiring from their liner (as opposed to a wire coming out from the seat). I've seen some mounts on the side of the pocket and they look really good whether used or not used.

DaleC

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=2032058.2032231.2032284&parentPage=family

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Swec, nice pictures but you have confuse with "The lower knob is my Gerbing temp controller. I used a BMW plug on the left pocket to plug my liner in". So are the two connected the lower knob and the BMW plug?

I like the passenger one !!

Thanks Jamie

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My wife's connector is neatly zip tied to her left arm rest (any temperature less than 80 degrees is Gerbings weather so there's no sense in hiding the connection). My connection is currently affixed to one of the two screws that are hidden by the front edge of the seat.

I've got the connector that DaleC posted the picture of but have hesitated on mounting it.

I use my Gerbings connector which is wired to be on 24/7 to be the source of my battery tender and/or portable air compressor connection (using an adapter I built that has a Gerbings male connector on one end and a 12v power plug on the other end). That way I don't need a separate battery tender connector.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Dale C,
Yes, makes sense...I like your idea of making the passenger plug permenant. Thanks for the info and picture. I will probably make the modification this winter (which could start tomorrow here in MN...sigh!).

TkBowman Youve got a good idea also regarding the battery tender and/or portable air compressor connection. What portable compressor did you go with?

Jamie, sorry for the confussion...Yes, the lower knob on my right side next to the voltmeter is the Gerbing thermostat that controls the BMW plug on the left side where I plug my Gerbing liner in.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DaleC and Sweck that really helps I need to just get out there and figure out how I want to do it. I might even buy EC pannel door for the left fairing pocket and do the BMW style plug..

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
OK my turn..... 1st off I really like the BMw plug. How are you getting the male plug that goes into the BMW plug?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Toyo you can buy the BMW plug together in one package (both male and female) in a package I saw at the cycle shop or just the female one or just the males one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts