GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left signal won't work. I have checked the bulb and it is good. The relay is clicking and the filament on the bulb glows ever so slightly. The indicator light on the dash is also not working. The running lights are fine. The right side works just fine. What could be wrong here?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
according to the Honda manual you have a bad turn signal relay.

Replace!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wingman57 said:
according to the Honda manual you have a bad turn signal relay.

Replace!

Hope this helps
How easy (or hard) is it to get at the relay?What has to be removed? By the sound of the relay it is located in the upper dash behind gauges.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,466 Posts
There's no way the relay could cause just the left one to fail, it is used on left and right. Do the emergency flashers work on both sides? This is more likely a bad bulb or a ground issue. :?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
techdude2000 said:
There's no way the relay could cause just the left one to fail, it is used on left and right. Do the emergency flashers work on both sides? This is more likely a bad bulb or a ground issue. :?
Just the right side works with the e-flashers on. Washed bike today and got quite wet. Maybe when it dries good the problem will end.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
JustRalph said:
Time to trade in...........
sorry, I guess I should have put a smilie in there. I was being facetious. A little humor......... the post goes along with a theme around here where guys are looking to trade up for "some reason" all the time. It was just a joke.

why do I feel like John Kerry.......???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JustRalph said:
JustRalph said:
Time to trade in...........
sorry, I guess I should have put a smilie in there. I was being facetious. A little humor......... the post goes along with a theme around here where guys are looking to trade up for "some reason" all the time. It was just a joke.

why do I feel like John Kerry.......???
Hey, no worries, I knew it was all in fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bulldog said:
Since it is new, the Dealer/Honda should be fixing this!

Bulldog
Unfortunately the bike is a 2003 with no extended warranty. It would be to the dealership in a heartbeat if it still had warranty. :cry:

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
Do you have the problem with both the front and rear lamps?

If it were me, I guess I would start by pulling out both front and rear bulbs and testing them and checking the sockets.

If you sprayed the handlebar switches when you were washing the bike, you also might have gotten water in the turn signal switch itself. That would be another thing I would probably check out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fred H. said:
Do you have the problem with both the front and rear lamps?

If it were me, I guess I would start by pulling out both front and rear bulbs and testing them and checking the sockets.

If you sprayed the handlebar switches when you were washing the bike, you also might have gotten water in the turn signal switch itself. That would be another thing I would probably check out.
The problem is the same for both the front and rear bulbs on the left side. The rear bulb glows a slight bit higher when the signal is flashing than the front. Pulled both bulbs and they seem fine. I think the switch may have gotten too wet or some other wiring.

·
Registered
440 Posts
A few weeks ago I retorqed my fork bearings. In the process I bent a pin in the plug that goes down the center of the fork. It affected the neutral part of the switch on the turn signals. Have you had the fork bearing apart?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dgamage said:
A few weeks ago I retorqed my fork bearings. In the process I bent a pin in the plug that goes down the center of the fork. It affected the neutral part of the switch on the turn signals. Have you had the fork bearing apart?
Fork bearing has not been apart. Dismantled signal switch and it had a little moisture in it but used a hair dryer to get rid of the moisture. The problem still exists. :cry:

The left side is getting power but very very little. I hate electronic trouble shooting. :x It can be so many things.

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
Alien said:
Fork bearing has not been apart. Dismantled signal switch and it had a little moisture in it but used a hair dryer to get rid of the moisture. The problem still exists. :cry:

The left side is getting power but very very little. I hate electronic trouble shooting. :x It can be so many things.
Where do you live? If you are close by, I would be glad to help.

There is a pretty good diagram of the turn signal circuit on page 9-2 of the ETM.

·
Vendor
22,085 Posts
Try removing the turn signal diode. See photo 47 on page 12-7 of ETM, It is under the seat.

This diode pack is for the flashers, if one of the diodes is shorted, it would cause this symptom. Nearly all the current meant for the turn signals would travel through the shorted diode instead. Removing the diode will only disable the flashers, so you won't hurt anything if you pull it out and try the signals. If they work when you remove it, you have found the problem.

If the diode is good, then you probably have a short to ground somewhere in the left turn signal circuit, shunting the current to ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fred H. said:
Alien said:

There is a pretty good diagram of the turn signal circuit on page 9-2 of the ETM.
Thanks for the kind offer but I am not close by. The info you provided is great and I will continue to try and solve this problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alien said:
Fred H. said:
Alien said:

Thanks for the kind offer but I am not close by. The info you provided is great and I will continue to try and solve this problem.
If the diode you are referring to is the relay that controls the signals and horn under the seat in the relay box, I removed it and the signals would not operate at all. With the relay in I am only getting the right signals and dash indicator light working as before. Don't know where to go from here. :?: You referred to a diode. Is that the same as the relay i am talking about?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts