GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropping the Rear Wheel

First... I do not want to lay the bike down on the side for several days (you never know how long it may be at the shop)... SO, let me ask you about this idea.

Load the 1800 on my flatbed trailer. Then use a sturdy 3 ft. wooden flat top removable extension and place the extension to the rear of the trailer at the same height as the trailer.

Then back the 1800 up so that the rear wheel is on the extension and the center stand is still on the trailer. Place the bike on the center stand and stabilize the bike with tie downs. Now, with the rear wheel lifted, remove the wooden extension. The rear wheel is now free to be dropped straight down. If you broke the lug nuts earlier, it should be an easy process to get the tire on and off from this position.

Bike is still on the trailer and is good for days if it takes that long...

Sounds fairly simple…. SO... What am I overlooking here?
JSR

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Should work if the trailer and center stand combined are tall enough. Obviously, the trailer is attached to your towing vehicle so the nose of the trailer doesn't come up or the trailer moves.

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
Must be a engineer! I don't see a issue with doing it that way.
Why not put it on the centerstand and pop the rear fender off and loosen the amp to roll the wheel out the back? No drama that way. lol Good luck

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I use a floor Jack to remove rear wheel! Place it under center stand! Be sure to loosen lugs while bike is on ground! Just a idea! If you have a jack or need one?..LOL

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not put it on the centerstand and pop the rear fender off and loosen the amp to roll the wheel out the back? No drama that way. lol Good luck

Sent from iPhone
Red, That is what I want to do, but everything I read says that the amp thing is a real PITA.. No video of what you have to do to get stuff out of the way, and the honda manual is really something..\

SO FOR REAL, what is the deal with the Rear fender method... What do you have to remove.. The rear fender is real easy. What else?

mr. scootinn
I use a floor Jack to remove rear wheel! Place it under center stand! Be sure to loosen lugs while bike is on ground!
how high would you need to jack the rear tire off the ground to do that?

Leaving the bike on it's side for may not harm it, but it just does not seem to be a good thing? Forum members, does it hurt the 1800 to leave the bike on the side for day, 2 days week?​

·
Registered
994 Posts
Don't know how long is too long to leave it laying on it's side,but for myself I just wouldn't feel right leaving it for anymore time than it would take to change out a tire.In other words the quicker it's back upright the better I'd feel about it.JMHO.I'm definitely not against laying it down for a wheel change,but I don't like the idea of leaving it like that unless it was an emergency.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
I've left mine on it's side for 4 days once. No issue. I didn't have a full tank of gas either. Only about 1/4 tank. It's SO easy to change the rear wheel by laying it on it's side.

Have you watched this video made by one of our members, Nathan? It's proof just how easy it is.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I did this in my garage. The pavement leading up to the garage rises.

I put the center stand on the edge of the concrete, and it gave me enough room to wiggle it out of there.

Your method should work, but there should be no issues with laying it down either.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts

Sent from iPhone
:thumbup::agree: it takes like 20 mins with a amp in the way. safe , easy and the book way to do it no worries at all. Save the stress on the crash bars and bolts if you need it. {hopefully you will not}

·
Registered
532 Posts
People don't go out the back when they have trailer hitches . Lay down is real easy

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I removed mine the other day. I used the Pit Bull. Made it real easy. Hardest part was lifting the tire to get it back on the bike. I finally put a milk crate under the tire to hold it until I regained my strength. I wanted to change the rear brakes and Fred's DVD's said it was allot easier with the wheel removed. Think he was right. Laying it over would not allow access to the caliper I believe.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Do you have a buddy with a table type scissor lift?

Many have a panel under the rear tire area that can be removed so the tire/wheel can drop down.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need to change the tire and replace the brake pads. No problem laying it down. Just checking the options. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check the Planking

Dropping the Rear Wheel

First... I do not want to lay the bike down on the side for several days (you never know how long it may be at the shop)... SO, let me ask you about this idea.

Load the 1800 on my flatbed trailer. Then use a sturdy 3 ft. wooden flat top removable extension and place the extension to the rear of the trailer at the same height as the trailer.

Then back the 1800 up so that the rear wheel is on the extension and the center stand is still on the trailer. Place the bike on the center stand and stabilize the bike with tie downs. Now, with the rear wheel lifted, remove the wooden extension. The rear wheel is now free to be dropped straight down. If you broke the lug nuts earlier, it should be an easy process to get the tire on and off from this position.

JSR
This is a variation on what I planned to do. I'd check the planking to make sure there is no "sink" to the planks when weight is applied. That would make it a touch "wobbley" ;)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I'm surprised some of you don't own one of these:

They make life a lot easier and fold down to store in a small area.
They can also be rented if you don't want it around all the time.
It may be even lower in price at HF.

I don't have it available for pictures but I built a cradle for under the bikes. It's much safer than my cycle/atv/tractor lift for some work.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Dropping the Rear Wheel

JSR
This will work but is way more risk than laying it over IMO as you've got a bike precariously perched on the back of a trailer. It should be fine, but if something goes wrong, it will be very bad. The alternative lay over method is much safer. You can lay it over without a scratch, nothing will go wrong and you can leave it that way for days.

However...if you don't want to lay it over and you don't have a trailer hitch, I'd just pull it out the back panel. Will take you less than 45 minutes and way more safe than what you are suggesting with the trailer.

PS... I do understand the lay over fear. The first time I layed over my 2001 it felt really wrong. Now that I've done it a few times and realize how easy and safe it is, it's my preferred method for a quick change. It's much easier to uninstall and reinstall without having to lift the tire up and line up the lug nuts.

·
Registered
812 Posts
While your wing is on the trailer, don't forget to tie it down with ratchet straps. The trailer will be somewhat unstable and the bike sitting on the center stand will be more subject to tipping, so for peace of mind, just anchor the bike with the straps.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Your shop takes DAYS to change a tire??? I'd find a new shop.

I checked the internet and there is no time limit a bike can take a nap on it's side.:cool:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bartman: "...I've left mine on it's side for 4 days once. No issue. I didn't have a full tank of gas either. Only about 1/4 tank. It's SO easy to change the rear wheel by laying it on it's side.

Have you watched this video made by one of our members, Nathan? It's proof just how easy it is..."

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts