i will be sticking to the hwy's most of the time
touch schreen and large?
price?
ease of install

im a dummy with this stuff so have at it guys!! lol

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
YW, you might also want the gps to have auto-routing capability. So if you have 8 stops in one day, the gps can figure out the best route to take to hit all 8 places with minimum expense.

David M.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
If you want it only for the truck go with Garmin's 7200 or 7500(click on the number to see details).

Neither is waterproof so probably not the best choice for the bike, but both will do everything you asked for.[/url]

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Re: help me choose a gps

yellow wolf said:
i will be driving a big truck soon
yellow wolf said:
i will be sticking to the hwy's most of the time
US129? :drive1: :eek:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sounds like another one in need of ......

A Garmin 2820 with a subscription to XM Radio along with the GXM 30 smart antenna provide over 150 plus channels of commercial-free music, sports, news, talk, entertainment programming, and XM NavTraffic capabilities.

This place has them for $639.00, delivered.

http://www.tvsdepot.com/product_81336_Garmin.html

Ti04

·
Registered
319 Posts
What Rastoff said: GARMIN 7200 series, etc. Built/earmarked for truckers.

Motorcycle: Zumo 550! Unequivocally.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
mbresso said:
...Motorcycle: Zumo 550! Unequivocally.
I hope you still feel that way after you finally get yours :p

Unequivocally?

For some, maybe. Certainly not for everybody.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jon said:
mbresso said:
...Motorcycle: Zumo 550! Unequivocally.
I hope you still feel that way after you finally get yours :p

Unequivocally?

For some, maybe. Certainly not for everybody.
Agreed - after reading some reviews of the Zumo I'll stick with my 2730.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Garman GPSMAP 376C GPS

Yellow Wolf, consider the Garman GPSMAP 376C.
The 376c GPS offers everything you need for marine navigation in a single space-saving package, including satellite weather reception, GPS functionality, marine chartplotting, and a brilliant, sunlight-readable color TFT screen. The device centers its built-in marine basemap, which is expandable via separately sold data cards programmed with BlueChart or Fishing Hot Spots maps. BlueChart maps deliver exceptional offshore marine coverage that includes shaded depth contours, navigational aids, shoreline detail, and tons of points of interest. For inland boating and fishing, users can turn to the Fishing Hot Spots data cards, which detail U.S. recreational lakes via inland lake maps, profiles, marinas, fishing areas, and more. As an alternative, users can also purchase the optional automotive kit and take the GPSMap 376c on the open road. The kit comes with MapSource's City Select software, which lets you select a destination on land and receive turn-by-turn directions to addresses and points of interest throughout the U.S. and Canada. The dual uses (land and water) make the GPSMap far more versatile than most GPS navigators. Via the included GXM 30 antenna and a subscription to XM WX Satellite Weather's "Master Mariner package," users can also view continuously updated weather info on the unit's 256-color, 3.8-inch diagonal display, which boasts a 480 x 320 pixel resolution and enough detail for any situation. The weather service shows vital data--such as NEXRAD radar images, forecasts, and current conditions--on the unit, so you can spend more time enjoying the water and less time worrying about the weather. And you can rest assured that the info is as good as it gets, as XM WX Satellite Weather is the same leading weather technology and data service enjoyed by television meteorologists across the U.S. Plus, boaters and drivers have the option of receiving XM Satellite Radio's 150-plus channels of commercial-free music, sports, news, talk, and entertainment programming (requires XM audio subscription).The GPSMap 376c's navigating accuracy stems from the WAAS-enabled, 12-parallel-channel GPS receiver, which continuously tracks and uses up to 12 satellites to compute and update your position. As a result, the device is accurate to within just a few meters, ensuring that you'll be able to sail the high seas or motor through urban landscapes with full confidence. Meanwhile, the navigation specs include a 10,000-point automatic track log with 15 saved tracks (up to 700 track points each) for retracing your path in both directions; 3,000 waypoints with the name, symbol, depth, and water symbols; and 50 reversible routes with up to 300 waypoints per route.Additional features include a trip computer that calculates distance, stopped time, moving average, moving time, total time, and maximum speeds; built-in celestial tables for the sun and moon (by date and position); and a number of alerts for such situations as anchor drag, off-course, arrival, and proximity waypoints. And for added flexibility, boaters can upgrade the GPSMap 376c to a full-fledged combination chartplotter/sonar receiver at any time by adding a Garmin GSD 20 "black box" sounder, which offers 4,000 watts of power peak-to-peak. All this in a waterproof console that fits easily in crafts of any size.So if you spend much of your time on the water, the GPSMap 376c is a lifesaver. The unit, which is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that lasts for 4 to 15 hours depending on the settings, measures 5.7 by 3.2 by 1.9 inches (W x H x D) and is backed by a one-year warranty on parts and labor.

More info: http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap376c/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah Blade (mbresso) you might not be as happy with your ZUMO as you think when you find out about all the limitations and dumbing down that they did with this unit!!! Still probably a great unit but there are some disappointing things that Garmin should have got right to make this truly a great unit. Coupled with the fact that you have to pay up to $250 for the GXM30 antenna if you indeed want XM Radio which I think is fantastic it really makes paying less than $900 for my 2730 look like a great deal since it included the antenna.

I'm ecstatic with my Garmin 2730 which has just been discontinued.

Interesting that Blade aka MBRESSO hasn't commented on Jon's review of the ZUMO or the other critical comments about it but he has stated ZUMO unequivocably as the choice. I know he has read these critical posts but why hasn't he responded. I know he hasn't received his ZUMO yet but I would think we would have had some response from someone as knowledgeable about the ZUMO!!! HUMMMMMM!!!! VERY INTERESTING!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts