GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took this road last year, quite by accident - and wanted to ride it again this year - but couldn't find it back this year.
I know that we were riding all around extreme south-western West Virginia and extreme western Virginia.

Here's the one sign - we went thru that section and it leveled out a bit, and then there was an identical sign for the next 11 miles.

Maybe it's a section of hwy 16? It's not the one from Tazewell to Marion, because we ride that section several times each year and are familiar with it.

?????

I'm thinking the road is in this area. It had lots of 10 mph switchbacks and extreme grades.

Maybe it's highway 460? Although, I don't remember 460 being THAT curvy and steep. Could be wrong.

It wasn't highway 52, although there were sections of 52 that were excellent.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sign is when you are leaving Hungry Mother State Park, Marion VA, state route 16 heading toward Tazwell. Also known as the back of the dragon.

http://backofthedragon.com/
Well, we went thru Hungry Mother State Park and ran down to Marion. Didn't see the sign. There are two of those signs identical on the road that I'm thinking of, maybe 15 miles apart. Could it be a section of Hwy 16 farther north ?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dammitt - I guess I'll have to go back out there and look for it......

(the wife goes back to work tomorrow)

:biker:

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I know I have seen those signs before. I reviewed videos that I rode across 16 and did see the truck warning signs but they looked different. How old is that pic of the sign you posted? Another road I thought of is US 58. It doesn't have the elevation changes, though.

Another thought...How about US421 south AKA "the Snake"? Just before you cross the bridge that starts the good twisties, there is a warning sign. I looked at my vids of it but my resolution is too poor quality to show enough detail to verify:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I have seen those signs before. I reviewed videos that I rode across 16 and did see the truck warning signs but they looked different. How old is that pic of the sign you posted? Another road I thought of is US 58. It doesn't have the elevation changes, though.

Another thought...How about US421 south AKA "the Snake"? Just before you cross the bridge that starts the good twisties, there is a warning sign. I looked at my vids of it but my resolution is too poor quality to show enough detail to verify:

Pic was 2013. Yeah, maybe US 421. We did ride that one. I'll go zoom in on Google Maps n see what I come up with. There are sooo many good roads in that area, its hard to remember them all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hwy 10 between Herndon, WV and Matoaka, WV? I saw those same signs this spring while riding in WV/VA, and 10 is coming to mind.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I am thinking this is 421, The Snake. If not there were similar signs.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I just gotta get back out there and (this time) make some notes.

Thanks
I am going back through this area in September and will keep and eye out for this sign.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This sign is right before you get to the bridge on 421 that crosses the South Holston Lake. South bound.

THANKS !!!

I remember riding that road and wanted to do it again. Nice, curvy road. Good scenery.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, here is the second sign, as one continues south.

Its barely south of the 421/91/133 intersection in Shady Valley, Tennessee

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We just came back from that area.

It is indeed U.S. 421 (The Snake)

From Mountain City, TN - to Bristol, TN - with Shady Valley as the half-way point.

Here's the sign at the southern end, heading north from Mountain City, TN.

Shady Valley General store (lots of trinkets to be had here)

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Sounds like a good trip.

A few of us (ohiowinger and rapidray) came down the Back of the Dragon and thru Mouth of the Wilson, this past weekend, did US 58 towards Damascus and picked up TN91 to Mountain City and ran the Snake also. That is one fun road. :yes1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts