GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this trailer (and the 77 GL 1000 in the background) from a friend. It was left on property that he just purchased from an estate. The only thing I could find is a sticker on the inside showing the model number, MC BB and the serial number. I could not find any manufacture or manufacture date information on the trailer. The body is made out of plastic. I do not think it was ever registered. I am just trying to get any information that I can before I go to DMV and see what I need to do to get it on the road.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I would check along the tongue for some form of ID placard of engraved/stamped VIN. It looks like a homebilt possibly a harbor Freight frame with a Plastic Carryall mounted on top. If you can't find an ID tag or VIN, you should contact your state licensing dept to see how to register.

Did any paperwork come with the motorcycle? Perhaps an old ID card in a pocket somewhere? That might give you the name of the builder and so forth.

Also I hope you got a Bill of Sale from the property owner selling the bike and trailer to you.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I too believe that is a home built trailer so if you go to the DMV just tell them that you built it and they will issue a VIN # for it and a plate if your state uses plates on trailers like mine does.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
What type suspension does it have

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same trailer, it was manufactured in Minnesota, I do not recall the name of the company. My trailer is hibernating; can't get to it to find out more info...Dino

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Lowell,
Looking at the first pic it appears to have a single leaf spring on the left side...

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you can't find a VIN plate/number call the local CHP office and ask for the VIN Officer. He can set you up with an appointment to find the VIN. If there is none he can assign a VIN number/tag. Before you take it there you may want to get a one trip permit from DMV to take it to CHP office for the VIN verification/check.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help. There is not a normal VIN plate, I looked all over the pace. There is just a sticker on the inside with a serial number. I would think the trailer is around 25 years old. The last reg. sticker on the bike was from 1988! There was not any paperwork in the bike about the trailer. The bike also does not have a hitch, so that has me thinking the old owner picked it up and the shopped riding before he could use the trailer. The trailer tires look brand new, like it has never seen the road. I am going to try the home built, get a new VIN route tomorrow and see if that works.

Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
Trailer I.D.

It has an after market swivel hitch and the tongue it is mounted on may not be original. Look around property for the stock tongue, that might be where the I.D. tag is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks exactly like mine. Morgan Industries in MN made these in the late 70'sw trought the 80's. I put new bearings in and new wheels & tires and pulls very nice. Have had it 2 years and no problems at all. Ray

·
Registered
331 Posts
It looks like a homemade trailer you made from way back when you were in middle school as a metal shop project. I've got one of those too, .

If you do register it as a homemade trailer MAKE SURE is has no welded tags on the entire frame, AND axles. If it does then its up to you to see if its stolen and get it to the rightful owner. If you don’t see them and someone else does then you’re in possession of stolen goods.

In North Carolina I took it to the DMV inspection station State patrol office where i was instructed for an inspection. NCHP officer came out checked the tongue for positive connection and the ability to lock it open or closed, checked for the safety chain, and looked at the tires on one side for what looked like tread. When I say looked i say he was barely close enough to tell what color the truck was it was connected to. We went back inside signed some stuff and he handed me pre stamped plates with a NC issued VIN to weld on each axle, bed and tongue. Whole thing took like 15 minutes.

The homemade trailer stuff was pretty easy, haven lived in California I guarantee it will be there as well, unless it’s not, and then I guarantee that too.

shag

1 - 19 of 19 Posts