GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to run the wires from a Back Off L.E.D. license plate holder to the nearest stop light and running light. Should I punch a hole behind the license plate, If I do that should I make the conections quick disconnect because that is how to get the tire out. Help

M

·
0 Posts
I just installed a lighted plate on the back and drilled a small hole behind the plate right above the hold for the center bolt. I put a rubber grommet in the hold and then used quick disconnectors so that I can take it apart easily. Add enough wire that you can set the panel on the ground to take it apart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too installed the Led plate holders, and I agree with both the prior comments. In addition I went back to my installation after adding the EC harness and added quick disconnect plugs which I bought at a radio shack. The plugs however are made to accommodate a 22 awg. wire normally. The LED wiring from the license plate holder is of a smaller gauge. I crimped first the harness end coming from the bike. Next I put small gauge shrink tube on the individual wires coming from the plate, stripped the wires long enough to double back on itself , but short enough to allow for a proper crimp, folded each wire on itself to give it a larger diameter for crimping. Next I crimped the lugs onto the wiring followed by carefully soldering the crimp, to give it a good mechanical bond. Go back and heat the shrink tube to give it a nice weather tight seal. This method allowed me to shorten the wiring, but still to be able to move the plate around and quick disconnect as needed. :blw1:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts