GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I am looking to get the 2018 Goldwing DCT, but its definitely going to be used for long touring, therefore that tiny windshield has got to go.

How good is the regular tour windshield? is it better than the previous models? cause my last GL was a 2015 and even with the Baker wings I would get a lot of buffeting-wind-slaps on the side of my helmets...of course, I am on the interstate hauling arses too.

How about that OEM larger shield? is that one better?

I will probably want a rack on the back to put a smaller bag and will travel with my normal Marine backpack strapped to the hang-on bars on the rear seat.

Thing is: I don't like topcases.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
Replace the "short" windshield on the base models with the windshield from a tour model. If you want a larger windshield that what comes with the tour model, you can order the Honda "tall" windshield. If you want a larger and wider windshield, you can to to the aftermarket for one.

:doorag:

·
Registered
471 Posts
The Bagger shield is 16 inch tall, and the Tour shield is 20 inch tall.
Yes, get the Tour shield, but it is not as effective as the GL1832 shields (01-17 Wings).

I finally settled on the Slipstreamer T-268C+2 for My DCT Tour.
It is 2 inches taller, and 2 inches wider per side.
At 5 feet 10 inch tall, I can easily see over the shield, usually never have to raise it on the hwy, and get very good side coverage (compared to the Tour shield).
I still get about 52 mpg on the hwy.
And the price is very good for the quality.

Having said all that, it may look a bit too big on the Bagger model.
I would suggest you buy a used Tour shield from a member here, since they look better on the Bagger.
But the model I bought will give better wind protection if that is your priority.
Jefro.

First photo is the Tour shield.
Second photo is the wider/taller Slipstreamer.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
The standard TOUR windshield works fine for me. But I never have liked bikes with shields as big as barn doors. I want a little wind for cooling.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
...I am looking to get the 2018 Goldwing DCT, but its definitely going to be used for long touring, therefore that tiny windshield has got to go.

How good is the regular tour windshield? is it better than the previous models? cause my last GL was a 2015 and even with the Baker wings I would get a lot of buffeting-wind-slaps on the side of my helmets...of course, I am on the interstate hauling arses too.

How about that OEM larger shield? is that one better?

I will probably want a rack on the back to put a smaller bag and will travel with my normal Marine backpack strapped to the hang-on bars on the rear seat.

Thing is: I don't like topcases.
I too, would go top case-less on the new wing. I saw a 2004 that had it’s top case (trunk) removed and other than not having a finished look to it from the trunk mount stuff, the over all look was good.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I sold my OEM tour shield for $40. **** near threw it away. Nobody wanted to buy it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The standard TOUR windshield works fine for me. But I never have liked bikes with shields as big as barn doors. I want a little wind for cooling.

We are in agreement on this one.... A failed purchase from a Harley rider of the one I ended up with came with an aftermarket windshield. I could not stand anything about it (smoked, visual distortion, shape of top, etc.). The pop-up "so called" vent the 2018/19 has is useless and I just could not get any air. I managed to get the windshield switched out with the original and it was much better for me. But I actually like the prior bike's windshield and vent better. Set the height and forget it, open and close the functional vent as needed. OEM prefered there too. The Tulsa "head whackers" of the prior models were on my "never ever" list for those bikes. Every time I got on or off a bike with a Tulsa, I would hit my helmet rather hard on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got the larger, OEM one...still a lot of wind, compared to my '08 that I just got rid of... Bad thing is - had the original one bungee-corded to the seat - the dude at the dealership had wrapped it in plastic. I was getting a lot of wind on it, so I thought I'd pull over at the next convenience store and take that off. I was 2 min from the store...heard the plastic go...saw the bungees dangling...it had pulled the brand new original shield off the seat and scruffed it on the highway. Not sure I can polish all of that road-rash off of it...

Anyway - back OT...you may want to look at aftermarket and/or deflectors...just my two cents.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You might wait until you try the stock. It depends on how tall you sit.

I do not run the stock base model windscreen all the way to the top, so it would stupid for me to waste money on a taller one. I just run the screen up until it’s quiet. That’s a bit below eye level. The stock screen geometry is designed so that there is entrainment. Bugs and drips just pass above you.

May be different for tour version where pillion may be higher.

Reactions: JoeOuts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I sat on one with a Tour screen and being 6' with a 34 inch inseam, I didn't like the fact that the tour screen didn't go down far enough for me. The screen was basically too tall for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts