GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happened to me. I was changing out my windsheild and yep you gussed it, dropped the bolt into the bowls of the bike. I lost the one that attaches to the locking device to raise and lower the sheild. The one that holds the plate over the sheild in place. I'm leaving for a trip on Thursday and will search the local hardware stores tomorrow. Anyone know where I can get one overnighted to me on Monday so that I will have here in Florida on Tuesday? Whats the website for Hals parts store maybe he can get one to me if I can't find one locally. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nuts & Bolts

Jimmie
Just read your post and had a similar problem, I got my bolt for the rear view mirrow from a local auto supply.
I just did a quick search on nuts and bolts, here is a number to call. 866-337-9888, may help you, if that doesn't help e-mail me with the size bolt you need, we have a place here in Lafayette, La that is really good for off the wall needs.
Ken Decker

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken if I can't find one I will email you on Monday. I have no Idea what size that rascal is.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Jimmie...You won't have any trouble matching it at a hardware store. If for some reason you don't find it there, check with a local Honda lawnmower repair shop. If I had it here I could match it with something in the garage!

Take the other side with you when you go on your search. If you have questions give me a call! I think you could use a wire tie if you had to.

P:S
If you can't find one, I will bring one down toward you. It might cost you a cup though! LOL!!!

If it is the nut I have a few hundred in the garage! You will have one before you head northwest! The thread is a 6mm and has a 10MM head. You might have trouble finding one with a shoulder but it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Jimmie; I'm looking at the parts manuel and I am trying to figure what bolt you are talking about. Is it 5mm or 6mm? I have both 5mm and 6mm bolts. If I knew what bolt you were refering to I would mail it to you tomorrow. I think you are refering to the 6mm flange bolt that is 40mm long. The pitch is 1.0 or 6x1.0x40mm bolt

M

·
0 Posts
Jimmie,
My bike is apart right now for Safety Chrome additions so the whole front end is exposed. If you cannot find the part, I can ship you mine. It is 3 degrees here in PA, so I won't be riding for a while.
PaMike

:sw1:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gladiter and Red thanks alot. I will try my local Ace and Truevalue's tomorrow. It is the nut from the windsheild holder plate shown on page 2-7 of the repair manuel.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Jimmie: That should be simple. That nut is a 6mm flange nut with a 1.0 pitch. Any foreign auto dealer parts dept. should have them. Also the bolt that it screws on to is the 6mm flange bolt x1,0 pitch and is 40mm long. You should not have any trouble getting that nut at any of those foreign auto dealers. Good luck and have a nice ride.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Jimmie: one other thought. The hardware stores might not have a flange nut. So in that case get a 6mm nut and a 6mm washer and use that instead of the flange nut. The flange nut is used to spread the force over a wider area than a nut by itself. The nut and washer will give you the same affect. Use that till you can get the 6mm flange nut.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jim,

Seems like you have lots of options, but if you get snagged, call me today (Sunday) and I will pull what ever you need off my bike and Jet mail it to you.

You have my number, but I will post it again. 845-434-1378

Just give a holler!

Bulldog

·
Registered
513 Posts
Don't feel bad, that same thing happened to me the night before I was leaving for vacation last September. I just put everything back together and on the way out of town I stopped at the Honda dealer. I've got large hands which made it ever harder to install (in the dealers parking lot) so my little wife steps forward and got the nut started for me. I wish that I would have called on her when I changed out the head lights.

Bryansong

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You All So Much

I want to thank everyone who stepped up to help me out with my windsheild. I was lucky enough to find the flange nut I needed at my local True Value. I am overwhelmed to have strangers offer to send me the one off of their bike untill I could get one. This shows the true purpose of this board and just how close the friendships have become. Thank you all for your consideration and thanks to Hal and Lamont for making this possible. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at the Hoot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
After reading all these post of guys willing to take parts off of thier bikes and send it to Jimmie in time for his ride, just goes to show that most people have a good heart and will go out of their way to help when help is needed.

God Bless,
George

1 - 13 of 13 Posts