GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do very well at spending OPM (other people's money). The last two friends I went bike shopping with spent 20K each on some new rides. My time has come.....sold the VFR last week (too aggressive a riding position even with Heli-bars), so I'm looking for a new toy.

My parameters:
1. Must have ABS brakes
2. Must have saddlebags or be capable of mounting aftermarket bags

I was considering a Ducati...the 1100 Monster has ABS but there are no aftermarket hard bags for it (as far as I know). The Multistrada has bags and ABS but it's 20 grand. My budget is 15 grand or less.

I kind of have it narrowed down to 2 bikes....both very different.
1. Suzuki V-Strom 650: inexpensive, capable of mounting bags, ABS, gravel road capable (if I desire, don't know how much I would do), upright riding position. 5.99% financing

2. Kawasaki Concours: has bags, ABS, heated grips, electric windshield. Shaft drive, lots of HP. More expensive than the DL650, but 1.95% financing is available. Riding position is better than the VFR and bar risers are available if I need them.

I considered others: Adventure bikes such as BMW, KTM and Triumph, but I don't know how much fire road riding I would do, plus they are all about 13 grand plus bags. Just for reference I have a GW and a HD in the garage. This bike will be kept at work, so I have something to ride while I'm away from home. Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. If there are any other bikes out there that I may have overlooked, let me know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since you dont sound like gravel is in your future, out of your list of bikes I`d pick the Concourse. I will say that my other bike besides the Wing is a BMW R1200GS and its one hell of an all around bike, and its awesome on pavement too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Spend $$$$

BMW r800gs or my preference r1200 Gs adv but 20,000. The 800 will do the job on and off payment and more resale than the others you mentioned ! My 2 cents!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
You may want to take a look at the NT700V.

The 2011 model has ABS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Help Me Spend My Money

I do very well at spending OPM (other people's money). The last two friends I went bike shopping with spent 20K each on some new rides. My time has come.....sold the VFR last week (too aggressive a riding position even with Heli-bars), so I'm looking for a new toy.

My parameters:
1. Must have ABS brakes
2. Must have saddlebags or be capable of mounting aftermarket bags

I was considering a Ducati...the 1100 Monster has ABS but there are no aftermarket hard bags for it (as far as I know). The Multistrada has bags and ABS but it's 20 grand. My budget is 15 grand or less.

I kind of have it narrowed down to 2 bikes....both very different.
1. Suzuki V-Strom 650: inexpensive, capable of mounting bags, ABS, gravel road capable (if I desire, don't know how much I would do), upright riding position. 5.99% financing

2. Kawasaki Concours: has bags, ABS, heated grips, electric windshield. Shaft drive, lots of HP. More expensive than the DL650, but 1.95% financing is available. Riding position is better than the VFR and bar risers are available if I need them.

I considered others: Adventure bikes such as BMW, KTM and Triumph, but I don't know how much fire road riding I would do, plus they are all about 13 grand plus bags. Just for reference I have a GW and a HD in the garage. This bike will be kept at work, so I have something to ride while I'm away from home. Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. If there are any other bikes out there that I may have overlooked, let me know.
I have my own slogan on my personal business cards !

"Help Me Spend My Kids Inheritance"
I never spend my OWN money, just my kids.:agree:
Gordon

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
For the situation specified and no off road there is no debate ---get the Connie

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would buy a Yamaha FJR 1300, I have had several and what a great bike. Has factory side bags, fast and comfortable.. Plus there are some very nice used out there for less than $10,000.

FJR hands down...:thumbup:

Smitty:p

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Beemer costs close to 15 grand by the time you add a centerstand, ABS, heated grips and the "standard package". Bags would be another thousand or so and I'm not sure what BMW's finance rates are.

The NT700 is, well, just plain boring and it only comes in black. I've owned one black motorcycle....never again.

I've ridden an FJR and I like it, but Yamaha has not really updated the machine in a few years, it still has a 5-speed tranny, the warranty is only one year and Yamaha has 3.99% financing, but only for 3 years.

The Connie is starting to look good and the local dealer can order me a 2012. There are plenty of '11's out there, but the 3 dealers I visited only have black and can't seem to find any silver models. The '12 comes in red/black and black.

Keep the suggestions coming, they are much appreciated!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Having ridden both, I would prefer the Connie head and shoulders over the V-Strom. My first riding preference, other than the Wing though, would be a BMW 1200 GS. It just does a whole lot of things very well.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Decided to pull the trigger on a 2012 C14. The local dealer (same guy I bought the Wing from) is giving me a price $595 over his cost (he showed me the dealer sheet). Two colors for '12.....red & black.....got the red one because it's faster. Should be here in a week :excited:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'm surprised that you didn't consider the Honda ST-1300. It is a very refined bike and is quite comfortable. The riding position, integrated mirrors, nice looking stainless steel mufflers, and Honda dependability is why I chose it over the C-14. But it was a close call.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts