GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last few weeks we have lost Black Pirate, had Bev and Laura go down and get hurt really bad. Now I see posts that talk about top speeds with the SO on board and the feel of the 1800 at 130 MPH that go on for 2 and 3 pages talking about riding at high speeds. I also see some posters add "Black Pirate left us a message" and "we are pulling for you Bev". This is all very confusing to me. Are we not learning anything from what we read on this forum or is it just do as I say and not do what I do. It looks like the season is starting out bad for our forum members and with what I have read lately I am afraid it is only going to get worse. Ride safe out there guys and gals as I am tired of reading about our members going down and getting hurt, so slow down and smell the roses and arrive safe because there are no do overs in our sport.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I agree with you, 'Burr....the message I got from all three incidents is to be careful, wear my gear, don't override my abilities or the conditions and be especially careful when precious cargo is aboard. I count myself lucky having had some close calls and getting plowed into in an intersection...I won't be pushing my luck. You all can wait for me at the end of the ride, I'll be along right soon.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey Robert
Interesting thought.
We talk about our friends being hurt or killed then it’s “Let’s Ride”. Maybe most of us are a half a bubble off. But try not to be to serious. Life is short.
JR

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Be safe!

Getty Images
JEFFERSON COUNTY, Kan. - A motorcyclist was struck by lightning and killed instantly Saturday afternoon during the storm that swept through northeast Kansas.

The 45-year-old man from Lawrence was riding with a group of cyclists who belong to “Bikers Against Child Abuse” when he was struck by lightning.

It happened at around 4:45 p.m. at 6911 U.S. 24 Highway near Perry, Kan.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

We have to be at least a half bubble off to drive a open vehicle at high speeds. We have zero protection in our choice of machines. I am willing to take the chance for the reward of the ride..

And yes, I have hit the asphalt since owning this two wheeled winnebago.. Lost all but three teeth, broke a few bones. punctured my lungs and couldn't wait to get on it again and go for more..

Gotta be at least a half bubble off !!

JMHO :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
...don't override ("ones") abilities or the conditions...
+1 bingo!

... that's the message for me.

There is no "one" solution for every riding situation.
Going too slow through Atlanta or San Antonio will get
you just as "smushed" as going too fast through some
mountain twisty.

Ride your own ride and don't get sucked up
into the energy of the herd.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
There are many reasons that I ride but the danger is a large part of it. Doing something that takes total concentration to not get hurt is very satisfying. When someone tries to run me over and I avoid it I get a tremendous rush. Whether you are going 130 or 50 you should stay within you ability. Knowing when you can go fast or not is still all about being careful. Racers at 180 mph are probably the most careful of all. They make sure they have the machines the gear and the skills to do those speeds. I know my skill level which is not all that great and stay down in that range. I haven't been over 85 in years and am not going to do so again.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
I have been down with that precious cargo. We both got hurt. We both still ride. All the while I was laid up, I kept thinking about riding. I even had dreams about it. (not bad ones, but dreams abot riding bikes that have not been built yet) Couldn't wait to get back on the bike and go again. It is a dangerous addiction we have choosen. We do what we can to be safe, but really it comes down to if we ride we put ourselves in dangers path. We know it and still choose to do it. Yes we may even be more than a half bubble off, but that is who we are. Thought I may die riding (I hope not) I will continue to do so.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. - Winston Churchill

:shrug:
:agree:This is very true.

It is all about Risk Management ( and Common sense ).
Do what you gotta do.
The smart man learns from his mistakes, the wise man learns from other's mistakes! Ride your own ride, and all that stuff.

I try to ride as if I'm invisible because to others I usually am.
Leave the attitude on the porch (this sometimes is the hardest one for me)
Never ride faster than you can see.
Never drive into brake lights.
Actively apply S.E.E. all the time!
Watch out for your own arse, 'cause no one else is gonna!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
My son rode down to vegas from colorado a couple weeks ago. Some drunk bitch hit him in the ass at a stop light a mile from my house. Fortunately he wasn't hurt

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
In those Posts they were writing about what they have done in the past not what they were going to do today or tommorrow

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
You can't change the way you are because of what's happened to others.

Everyone lives their life by their own rules. It's human nature.

It would be a very boring world if we all acted the same.

To each his own IMO. Whether we believe that person is right or wrong in their actions.

·
Love The DCT
11,801 Posts
:agree:This is very true.

It is all about Risk Management ( and Common sense ).
Do what you gotta do.
The smart man learns from his mistakes, the wise man learns from other's mistakes! Ride your own ride, and all that stuff.

I try to ride as if I'm invisible because to others I usually am.
Leave the attitude on the porch (this sometimes is the hardest one for me)
Never ride faster than you can see.
Never drive into brake lights.
Actively apply S.E.E. all the time!
Watch out for your own arse, 'cause no one else is gonna!
Right on about risk management. There is risk in everything we do. The key is to manage the risk factors to an acceptable level.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
It's a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. - Winston Churchill

:shrug:
Last time I had a good enigma was before a colonoscopy!!!!

Good point in the post. What we do is hazardous. We will pay for our own misjudgements and miscalculations, and may well pay just as much for the misjudgements of others. All comes down to the level of risk you are willing to accept as part of life. I am generally pretty careful and vigilant when riding. Occasionally I loose my mind and do something I should probably be arrested for. So far, God has granted me the good grace to come though those times and carry on. How long will it last - how long will anything last? That is the great unknown that chases each of us from one day to the next. I try to recognize my vulnerablility, thank God for each minute and make the best I can out of what I have been given.

IT has been a rough year, lets not forget about Doug, Orange Crush and a few others who may still be on the mend. We all know of riders not associated with the board who have been injured also. Ride lots, have a good time and watch your butt.........

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Robert, It is still confussing to me after 32 years. Part of it is technology begging someone to challenge the limits of these machines. In 32 years of riding Goldwings, I can count on 1 hand how many riders I heard confessing to be the cause of an accident. Some of the other victims weren't lucky enough to confess anything. It's difficult enough to be a defensive rider under normal circumstance without the Hot Dogs.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
+1 bingo!

... that's the message for me.

There is no "one" solution for every riding situation.
Going too slow through Atlanta or San Antonio will get
you just as "smushed" as going too fast through some
mountain twisty.

Ride your own ride and don't get sucked up
into the energy of the herd.

Dennis
If you ride through Atlanta after 4:30 p.m. slow and stop are your only choices. Maybe we need to run SS speed. Situation Safe.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I always did ride like hell. Had to see how far I could lean in corners, unitl some stones got me. The older I get (61) the slower I seem to ride. It is not how maney miles a day your ride or how fast. For me it is the quality of hours I ride. Some of the best talks the SO and I have is when we are on back rodes and by ourselves.
Stay safe guys.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
What I would like to know is,
All these people Crashing.
Are they Daily riders? Fair weather riders? Lock their bikes up for months on end? Stuff like that.

·
Registered
313 Posts
+ 1 "Risk Management"
Every time I get on my bike I am taking a risk. I have had some real take away moments from what others have posted about their accidents. Live and learn, then learn some more.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts