GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left side I have my custom gadget mount with cup holder and Sirius. Right side has my gadget mount and my Street Pilot.

I've seen mounts that use the dashboard, but they don't work with a Tulsa.

Has anyone come up with anything different?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have the same setup. I have not figred it out yet either. I am thinking of a Ram mount for the radar det. or velcro to the dash with the suction cup mount that comes with it. I'll be watching this thread for some good ideas.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radar Mount

It might come to fabricating something. I don't want to go to that contraption that goes between the handlebars, to me that just makes the bike look even more crowded, but that's my opinion.

My left side I bought 3/8" bar stock and drilled it, taped it, painted it and then mounted a cycle gadgets flat stock to it for my sat and cup holder. That works well and doesn't hit the windshield, for a change.

I'm thinking that maybe, I'll put the sat on the front ball of my right side cycle gadget and then off the top run a short stem and my valentine 1, but I'd like something off the dash.

Time to get ingenuitive!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Mike,
I dot a dash mat, had my gal do some alteration on it (cut & put a seam around the wire hole, and an indent in the front to accomodate my VP GPS V mount). Then I crafted a platform out of a piece of metal I bought at Lowes. Painted it black and attached a stretch nylong strap and velcro to it, to wrap around my detector as an added security measure.

Then I use the standard suction cup mount stuck to the dash, the detector rests on, and is strapped to the platform, which is velcroed to the dash mat. It doesn't go anywhere!

This pic is from the late development stage, before I attached the nylon strap.

Since I've been here, I I have bought a used V-1 & a used SPIII, so I have some of my own redesigning to do when I get home!

Plan on building a dash shelf based on plans I got from Dale Croy. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing one of his pics here!

Can't wait to get home and play with all the new toys I've bought since I've been away! :D

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Mike - not a problem, I was just going to add my post to this question and then came across the photo and said, "gee Mike has finally built one just like mine (wow, it's exactly like mine) --- it is mine!

I've had my platform mount now that I built for several months and it's working out just great. Good stability for both the SPIII and also the Valentine, plus the GPS is actually a few inches closer to me now than before with my dash mount for an easier reach and programing. Plus it's out of my immediate way and in good alignment for my driving and watching the road. I added additional support on top to eliminate the small shaking I was getting with the dash mount too.

Doubt that I will add other items, but room to grow if ever needed or wanted.

DaleC

·
Registered
291 Posts
For the Iron Butt Rally, I mounted my Valentine 1 in the top of my left saddlebag. Ran the cord from it, under the seat and up to the fairing.

Mounted the remote display under the dash overhang and piped the audio into the intercom.

I'm sure it loses a little sensitivity there, but not much - and it's dry, secure, and very unobvious.

Roy

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Inside?

You mounted it inside the bag? I would definitely think the bag would interfere with that, however, I'll ask, over the course of your Iron Butt Ride, how did it fair?

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Radar Detector Mount

I did an install in my left saddlebag several years back (over 40K miles ago).

Photos here:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/valentineone

It has worked well, though I always have wondered how much it lost in sensitivity. It seems to pick up good for the most part.

I tried making my own plastic pod to go under the left mirror that would hold a Valentine, but wasn't very sucessful. I am no good at plastic forming and don't have the tools and equipment needed. Stay tuned as more is sure to develop on this topic...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mounting for Decter

To all looking for mounting options

I purchased the "Texlent" system from Hal and have it mounted in the upper position. It has proven to be the answer to my many questions of how to mount my toys.

I currently have my SPII, Cell, Cassette player(for audio books),FM remote, and cup holder on the bar and am looking into mounting a camera.

It is a good solid system with many mounting options.

Ron

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Great looking mount Dale!!!

I just used RAM stuff. I have room for one more gadget on the cycle thingy, but would have to develop something else if I wanted more than four. I took the detector case apart and used small (#6?) machine screws to attach the case bottom to the RAM universal round base. I found a couple spots under the case where the screws would not interfere with the PC board, then covered the heads with electrical tape just in case.

(I pulled the pic 'cause it was too big for most, QD)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mount it on the dash even with the Tulsa and the vent

It depends on which detector you have, but the V1 will fit on the dash under the Tulsa vent using the flat inexpenive VP mount. You can't get it all the way on the dash, but it isn't going anywhere as it is sort of wedged in between the vent and the dash. I've had mine like this for almost 40K miles with no issues. I like it because it is in your line of sight and has a full view of the road ahead. I did raise my Tulsa all the way up in the mounting holes.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i just saw cycle gadgets at the bike show, i believe they can mount anything, after seeing their display.

loren

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cycle Gadgets to the Rescue

Yes Loren, your right, they can mount just about anything.

My problem was that my left side has a custom make high-mount for my Sirius radio and my cup holder. My right side has my GPS.

Cycle Gadgets has this flat mount contraption that mounts on the right side and is perfect for a GPS. It can be used with one of their mounts.

It's way overprices for a piece of metal, but it works!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Calling Mike Bobbit:

The Kury ISO Grips in the picture you posted look black instead of chrome? Are they black, or is that just the reflection? I have a set of ISO Grips on the way and have been thinking of looking for a way to paint the chrome to simulate a "Black Chrome" look.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Lucky777 - actually that is my bike and photo that Mike posted from some photos I sent him off line and he included in his post. Those are the normal Kuryakyn ISO gripes and it's just a photo I took in my garage with little lighting.

Hmmm haven't seen anyone paint the chrome so hard to say how it would look, although I would find it hard to improve on what I think look like pretty outstanding grips for a GL1800.

Let us know if you do something and post a photo or two.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Lucky 777 said:
Calling Mike Bobbit:

The Kury ISO Grips in the picture you posted look black instead of chrome? Are they black, or is that just the reflection? I have a set of ISO Grips on the way and have been thinking of looking for a way to paint the chrome to simulate a "Black Chrome" look.
Here is a site someone posted earlier. The have a lot of color matched stuff. Don't know anything about them...

(had a pic from the site posted, but it was huge. Here is the link to the color matched ISO grip pic: http://www.roadtripessentials.com/image/2706231.jpg )

Here is the link to the site:
http://roadtripessentials.com/

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I sent Kury an email once upon a time, suggesting they offer some of thier accessories in a black chrome finish. I think there would be a healthy market for that finish. I like chrome, but want to do something different with the Goldwing.... something leaning towards a stealth look.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You might want to consider a stealth mount like someone did on an ST1100.

Try this site: http://www.st1100.org

Then look under ST1100 information, Farkle photos, and find the link for V1 radar locator.

This is the coolest way to setup radar IMHO!

Gordon 8)

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
<This is the coolest way to setup radar IMHO! >

Gordon - are you concerned that if a patrolman stops you he's not going to see the Valentine in that quasi-stealth eye glasses case look-a-like container? Still looks pretty obvious there to me, but then I can recognize radar units pretty easily now myself.

Just curious,

DaleC

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DaleC said:
Gordon - are you concerned that if a patrolman stops you he's not going to see the Valentine in that quasi-stealth eye glasses case look-a-like container? Still looks pretty obvious there to me, but then I can recognize radar units pretty easily now myself.

Just curious,

DaleC
Dale, not that it might not cause someone to wonder, in the write up on the install, the author did say for quick stealth, he pushes in the spacer (seen in the center of the eye glass case) in, and the case closes. So then all there is showing is the eye glass case with wires going in to it... which probably wouls still get attention... lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts