GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:oops: I am probably the most mechanically challenged person I know, so I need some help. Just purchased two EC power plugs for my 1800. The instructions for the one that mounts in the left dash pocket are very good and I had no problem installing it, but the trunk mount instructions leave something out.

Instructions say to find a suitable location, keeping in mind the depth required to mount the power outlet. Then after cutting the hole, it states to connect the power plug. Here is my question, what do I need to remove to do all this? I must have to take the trunk apart to drill the hole and find the plug to connect the power outlet to. How do I do this. :?

If I remeber correctly, some one posted a picture of their trunk install a couple of weeks ago, it was on the old board. I would appreciate it if that person could post the picture again, it sure would help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Jim,

We don't get too specific since there are several other accessories that can be mounted in the same location.

What needs to be removed:
You will want to remove the inner trunk liner. There are 16 phillips head screws around the perimeter of the trunk (they are all the same). You must also remove both of the latches (they use screws different from the rest of the trunk).

It can go to either the left or right side of the half oval (would be to the left or right of the trunk mirror. Only thing to be careful of is there is a "bump" that is molded into the outer trunk that the inner trunk liner sits against.

Hope this is of assistance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

:D Thanks for the information. Never thought I would get a reply so fast, and then from the main guy at EC> :D

Since I'm off tomorrow, looks like I noe have something to occupy my time.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Perhaps you were referring to one of my posts on the old board. Lewis has given you some good guidelines. You might want to keep in mind a couple of other EC accessories like I did that also mount on the trunk liner. One of my most useful accessories is Lewis' trunk/saddlebag lighting kit. However, the light switch mounts best on the right side as shown in the photo below. And I left the center area free for the vanity mirror that Lewis has posted on his site is being developed.

So I installed the EC power socket on the lower left. There's just barely enough room in the hump between the liner and the trunk shell to install the socket. If you want to install the plug in the center of the hump, though, there's lots of room.

Hope you find this useful,
Arthur

This is a close-up view of the socket on the left:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts