GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help folks. I'm trying to do three mods to my 2012:

1) Mod the bottom rear light to be a brake light. I have the rear fender off but can't get the light fixture out. I removed the two top screws. Are there more in the saddle bags? Also, do the turn signal fixtures come out with the center running light fixture? Does Radio Shack sell the crimp pins for these connectors?

1) Install a Wig-Wag brake modulator. (no problem, understand how to, just need the center brake light out to run the cables).

2) Install an running/brake/turn signal LED light set in the rear spoiler. I've already installed the light in the spoiler and run the cable down under the back seat. The instructions say it's plug and play under the rear fender but I don't see any of the turn signal connectors (red and green connectors) under the seat or rear fender area. Any idea where these connectors are on a 2012?

The bikes torn apart (seat, lower trunk cowling, rear fender, etc. -- everything but that damn rear light fixture).

Also, what's that black container under the rear fender with all the hoses going to it (idle curiosity)?

Help soon would be appreciated... :cry:

·
Registered
86 Posts
there are four screws that hold te light in. Two are hidden in the corners of the light fixture you have to get a little lower to see them. they are kind of on an angle; going out and up.
hope that helps, I know it gets frustrating. after removing them it will come out real easy.
that black thing with all the hoses is the amplifier for the stereo. should only have one hose for a drain and the rest are wire bundles. If that is what your talking about.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do all the lights come out together or just the center light?

·
Registered
86 Posts
the whole bar, all the way across.
the license plate piece has to be off and the four screws and then it comes right out.

I can go out and take a picture if your still having problems.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never found the two other bolts holding the rear light fixture in. I'll save it for another day. I pulled a brake wire down from under the lower trunk cowling so it'll be easier next time.

Anyone know what the two "two-conductor" connectors are for under the inside truck cover? One's red, the other is blue...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that makes sense that they'd be anchored from the back of the light! :cool:

I got the Wig-wag Brake Modulator installed and working perfectly. The Spoiler LED light is half working (before it was just a running light - now it's a brake light until I can figure out where the turn signal connectors are). And now I know how to remove the bottom tail light.

So 1-1/2 out of three planned mods isn't bad for no service manual. And I now have three brake lights and two of those flash. I'm sure I'll get the rest in a few days.

I really appreciate your help... :bow:

One final note - Kudos to Honda for making such a well engineered bike. It's really amazing how well these things fit together. It's like a puzzle without the service manual (and with it at times), but when you understand all the interlocking pieces, it just fits!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the trunk connectors illustration. They're not for turn signals :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts