GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me some advice on how to get my new Garmin ZUMO XT to work? This is new to me and I am confused. I know lots of you have such GPS devices and I cannot figure out how to get it to do what I want it to do (see below). I thought this would be easy. I have a pro subscription to REVER to design the routes on my desktop computer. When you go to save the GPX file, you have 2 choices: save as a route (with turn-by-turn navigation) or as a track (straight line). To me, that means I have to save it as a route since I want the turn-by-turn navigation. However, the folks at REVER told me to save the trip as a TRACK, not a ROUTE, and then import it as a TRIP.

In REVER, when saving the mapped course as a TRACK, you have to import it and then convert it to a TRIP. Then you pull up the TRIP in the Garmin and begin to follow it. When pulling up the TRIP on the Garmin, I get a warning that says "editing this trip will discard the current route settings and calculate a standard route". Doesn't that mean the GPS will take over and go it's own direction?

Here is what I am looking for:

1. No cell phone usage at all. I want to design the route on a desktop computer (not the Garmin) and import the GPX file into the Garmin ZUMO XT for use. I do not want to design the route on the little screen on the Garmin. I can design and edit the trip much faster and easier on a desktop.

2. I want the GPS to follow the roads that I want to ride on, not go where it wants to go.

3. I want advanced turn-by-turn navigation.

4. I want to be able to edit the existing route and insert waypoints, stops, POIs, etc. later if I wish.

5. I want the GPS to re-route me back onto the route lines if I stray from the existing route (example: you go thru construction which detours you off the course).

6. If I stop somewhere in the middle of the ride and turn everything off, when I turn it back on I want it to put me back onto my existing route at the nearest point where I am now, not tell me I have to go home and start all over again.

Does the TRACK or TRIP format allow you to do all the above, especially #4?

Does anyone have a cheat sheet they can send me?

How do you accomplish all the above? What Internet program (like REVER, Basecamp, Furkot, etc.) do you use? What format do you download the GPX file as (ROUTE, TRIP, TRACK, etc).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
You will want to use routes, not tracks. Garmin GPSs automatically get you from waypoint to waypoint using their routing rules. On a single day ride, you may only have 4 or 5 waypoints for the whole day. Those are the only things "fixed" in your trip. All of the roads selected between the waypoints are completely determined by the GPS on the fly.

Garmin required points are waypoints. If you miss one, you will have to go back to it unless you tell the GPS to skip it. An optional "waypoint" is called a shaping point. If you miss that, the GPS just goes on to the next waypoint.

All of this is somewhat confusing because there are 1,000,000 ways to do all this. I use Basecamp, which most people hate. It creates "routes" or more precisely a seres of waypoints, which are downloaded to the GPS and then the GPS calculates the routes. The good news about Basecamp is its routing rules are very similar to my Zumo, so what I see in Basecamp will be very similar to what I see on my Zumo. I have played a little with REVER, but have never imported a route generated in REVER to my GPS. I have also payed a little with routing with Calimoto, but I have not done anything serious with it either. I have taken routes from Google Maps, and converted them to tracks, imported them into Basecamp and recreated them as routes. I have also imported routes into Basecamp from Best Biking Roads and a few other web sites. Last but not least, people on the board have sent me routes that I have converted to my Zumo through Basecamp.

If you want to learn a little about Basecamp you can go here: New England Riders Tutorial. Almost everyone creates their own system for handing routing on a trip. What works for one person will NOT work for another. The thing I do NOT like about Basecamp is it is not good for impromptu trips. It is much better for things planned in advance.

If you have specific questions, I'll be glad to try to help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will want to use routes, not tracks. Garmin GPSs automatically get you from waypoint to waypoint using their routing rules. On a single day ride, you may only have 4 or 5 waypoints for the whole day. Those are the only things "fixed" in your trip. All of the roads selected between the waypoints are completely determined by the GPS on the fly.

Garmin required points are waypoints. If you miss one, you will have to go back to it unless you tell the GPS to skip it. An optional "waypoint" is called a shaping point. If you miss that, the GPS just goes on to the next waypoint.

All of this is somewhat confusing because there are 1,000,000 ways to do all this. I use Basecamp, which most people hate. It creates "routes" or more precisely a seres of waypoints, which are downloaded to the GPS and then the GPS calculates the routes. The good news about Basecamp is its routing rules are very similar to my Zumo, so what I see in Basecamp will be very similar to what I see on my Zumo. I have played a little with REVER, but have never imported a route generated in REVER to my GPS. I have also payed a little with routing with Calimoto, but I have not done anything serious with it either. I have taken routes from Google Maps, and converted them to tracks, imported them into Basecamp and recreated them as routes. I have also imported routes into Basecamp from Best Biking Roads and a few other web sites. Last but not least, people on the board have sent me routes that I have converted to my Zumo through Basecamp.

If you want to learn a little about Basecamp you can go here: New England Riders Tutorial. Almost everyone creates their own system for handing routing on a trip. What works for one person will NOT work for another. The thing I do NOT like about Basecamp is it is not good for impromptu trips. It is much better for things planned in advance.

If you have specific questions, I'll be glad to try to help.
=========================
Networkguy3,
Based on what you said in your first paragraph, when using a GPX "route" the Garmin will determine which roads IT wants to use to go from waypoint to waypoint. That is not what I am looking for. I want it to take the roads that I choose. If I take a 200 mile day ride, that might mean a lot of special backroads. If that is the case, then I would have to put a waypoint at every turn to force the Garmin to take my roads.

When I researched the difference between tracks and routes, it basically agreed with you in that I can place the waypoints, or stops, on a GPX "route" and the GPS will take me there but it will pick the roads to get there. If I use a track instead, it is like a breadcrumb trail and the GPS will follow the trail (or route lines). However, I don't know if I can change or edit the track once it is created and imported into the Garmin and there may be other limitations in using a track, too. When I imported routes (not tracks) into my Garmin, I could see the route lines but the Garmin would not follow them.
BTW, I have auto recalculate turned off, as recommended, and it is not set to avoid any of the roads that I have selected.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
=========================
Networkguy3,
Based on what you said in your first paragraph, when using a GPX "route" the Garmin will determine which roads IT wants to use to go from waypoint to waypoint. That is not what I am looking for. I want it to take the roads that I choose. If I take a 200 mile day ride, that might mean a lot of special backroads. If that is the case, then I would have to put a waypoint at every turn to force the Garmin to take my roads.

When I researched the difference between tracks and routes, it basically agreed with you in that I can place the waypoints, or stops, on a GPX "route" and the GPS will take me there but it will pick the roads to get there. If I use a track instead, it is like a breadcrumb trail and the GPS will follow the trail (or route lines). However, I don't know if I can change or edit the track once it is created and imported into the Garmin and there may be other limitations in using a track, too. When I imported routes (not tracks) into my Garmin, I could see the route lines but the Garmin would not follow them.
BTW, I have auto recalculate turned off, as recommended, and it is not set to avoid any of the roads that I have selected.
If I remember right, I can download tracks to my Zumo, but it will not follow them. It only navigates routes. I can turn off recalculate once my Zumo creates a route to follow. That means if I'm not on the route, the GPS is helpless to get me back on the route. I make unplanned stops and wrong turns along the way so I really do want my GPS to help me recover.

To create a route, I put my routing rules into Basecamp and then give it my end points and let it find the route it prefers. Then I drag that route to the roads I prefer. that creates a route for me to download to my Zumo. I leave recalculate on when navigating the route so it can fix my missed corners and detours along the way. IMO, creating good routes to follow is more art than science. It takes experience to put waypoints in the right place to force the GPS to stay on the right roads. Too may waypoints are no better than too few IMO. On a typical planned day ride, I will generally have 4 or 5 waypoints and usually twice that number of shaping points, which are non-announced waypoints that are just route suggestions rather than route requirements. Basecamp will allow me to easily change between waypoints and shaping points.

Also understand I'm talking about my Zumo 396 LMT-S. The XT probably does do some things differently.

BTW: For on the fly, unplanned routes, I tend to use Waze. I normally keep Waze running even if I'm following Garmin routes. I also like to have my primary waypoints in Waze so I can use it to avoid traffic jams when the Garmin leads me into traffic jams.

·
Registered
67 Posts
1) I use Garmin's Mapsource but you probably wont be able to find it anymore. I'm slowly switching over to Basecamp. There's some good how to videos on YouTube.
2) If you want the GPS to follow the roads that you want to ride on just use lots of waypoints/shape points. I usually point a waypoint about half a mile past the intersections.
3) The GPS notifies you about a mile before any turns and then again when you get closer.
4) You can edit the route while on the road but it's not easy. Use the built in Trip Planner.
5) It auto recalculates.
6) It picks up right where you shut it down.

Check out the Zumo forum here. Garmin Zumo XT - Zumo User Forums

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'd suggest you create maps in short segments individually.

You may not have the entire trip in one map but, at least you have all the routes you want.

I would stick with Garmin program to create map to use in Garmin GPS.

All my GPS are Garmin. I create maps for all trips with basecamp or similar Garmin software.

I used Google Earth as well on occasion. Some integration can be had using same brand.

I also use that for my Marine GPS for my boat.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You can still download Mapsource directly from the Garmin website. It says it is an update but I believe all you need is Basecamp installed on your computer and Mapsource will be a fully working version when you install it. I recently did this on a new to me computer and it works just fine. But you also will need Garmin Express on the same computer and it will give you the option to download maps to the computer once you have your Garmin GPS registered on Garmin Express. And I also recently did this as well. Once maps are downloaded to your computer, you have the choice of using either Basecamp or Mapsource to create routes and transfer them. One thing to keep in mind is that the version of maps needs to match on both the computer and your Garmin.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I use Ride with GPS to make my rides. You can make up the exact ride you want. But I had the same problem you describe. When I put the ride into the GW as a route it will do its own route. I have to put it in as a track. And as a track it only shows a line on the Nav. of where to go. It will not give turn by turn navigation. I have found its just easier to use the phone to navigate my rides. Cost is around $6.00 a month to have the app on your phone.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use MyRouteapp.

Free Google maps type interface. Simple to build and fine tune routes. Saves them as GPX files and easily downloaded directly into your Garmin. Can export as route or track. Allows an unlimited number of routes to be saved. You can also import GPX routes from other sources and save them and download them to your Garmin. The only issue I have is make sure you plot plenty of waypoints or it will send you on shortcuts when you download the route to your GPS.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use MyRouteapp.

Free Google maps type interface. Simple to build and fine tune routes. Saves them as GPX files and easily downloaded directly into your Garmin. Can export as route or track. Allows an unlimited number of routes to be saved. You can also import GPX routes from other sources and save them and download them to your Garmin. The only issue I have is make sure you plot plenty of waypoints or it will send you on shortcuts when you download the route to your GPS.
Do you save them as a route or a track? Thanks.

·
Administrator
4,343 Posts
Too bad that Garmin, New England Riders, etc., or somebody knowledgeable doesn't offer a fee-based in-person 1 or 2 day course on GPS mapping. I've been told that some of our older Fred Flintstone types respond better to personalized instruction.

SIgned, Fred Flintstone

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the GPS that comes on a Goldwing and use trip planner. If you want to follow a certain route, put in more way points. The more way points you put in, the more it will follow your route. As was stated, it will fine the best road to take from way point to way point. Some of my routes have 26 way points for a 500 mile ride

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the GPS that comes on a Goldwing and use trip planner. If you want to follow a certain route, put in more way points. The more way points you put in, the more it will follow your route. As was stated, it will fine the best road to take from way point to way point. Some of my routes have 26 way points for a 500 mile ride
Rufasim,
I tried Trip Planner. It was very difficult to use and unless you drove directly over a waypoint, it kept telling me to go back and touch it. You had to keep zooming way in to place the waypoint directly on the lane you were driving in or else it would tell you to make a U-turn. Took way too long to build a route. It also made me return home to get back onto the course. The errors were enormous. Even if I had a route set on a straight street, it would direct me to turn into a residential area, make a U-turn, and go back out. I found it useless. When I called Honda about all the problems with their navigation (more than a dozen) they told me that they now recommend REVER. I have not gone back to Trip Planner since.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thats why I try to stay on numbered routes. Rather than placing a point on the street, type in as another stop. If there is no route number where you want to go, zoom in and type the street name and town . I trace my route with rever as I am riding then I can fix any error so it will be perfect the next time I ride it. If it makes you go back the way you came, happened to me a couple of times, keep following the route shown in the direction you know you have to go , not turn by turn . It will move on. If it doesn't simply turn off the route, and turn it back on. It will ask you if you want to start from the beginning, say no. the route will start from where you are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moved to the general board. Should get more responses......
Basecamp will allow everything you mentioned, except return to route. I would suggest turning off recalculate. When off route, zoom out so you can see the route then turn towards the route to recapture. If you want a follow a specific route that you had planned without deviations alway turn off “off route recalculation”

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also use MyRoute. Love it. Never an issue. I number my waypoints. If I have to go off route then I will delete my waypoints through the Honda system up to the next number that I need to hit. Works perfect every time. Took a few trial and errors but it really is easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts