GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install the lower 49 states and there is not enough room on the ZUMO 550. I purchased the lifetime maps for the zumo 550. I remember someone saying you had to remove something another, but I dont remember what. Anyone have any clue on how to get this install done? I am leaving tomorrow and would like to have the new maps installed.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hook up your zumo to your computer and see what is on the zumo drive.

You can delete saved routes, pics, music, etc. to create room. There's also custom cursor files that you probably don't need (I had downloaded several of these from the Garmin site years ago), as well as maybe some mad-maps if you've ever downloaded those. All those items can go onto an SD card. Leave the space on the zumo for the map updates.

It's been a few years since I did this, so this is from memory... hope it helps.

Bob

·
Registered
87 Posts
I want to install the lower 49 states and there is not enough room on the ZUMO 550. I purchased the lifetime maps for the zumo 550. I remember someone saying you had to remove something another, but I dont remember what. Anyone have any clue on how to get this install done? I am leaving tomorrow and would like to have the new maps installed.
If you have a laptop or similar small computer available that you can take with you, download the new maps to your COMPUTER ONLY. From your computer upload the regional maps for the routes you will use for the first few days. When you get to the end of that route, upload the next set of routes and the surrounding regional maps.
The Zumo 550 has a built in memory chip for maps but it is only 2 Gb. the 2012 map set is larger than the available memmory so you will have to swap out sections if you are travelling accross country.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Extra languages/voices are another thing you can eliminate to create space. These take up a bunch of space too.

I believe there is also a way to tell the zumo to read the map from the SD card vs. the internal storage. That would be a nice thing since you can use a 4, 8, 16+ gig card and still have room for music and maps.

Let me look into that real quick.

EDIT: Nope... there's not. But you can have the "Base" map on the internal storage (like US/Lower 48 ) and "additional" maps (like Europe) on the SD cards, then select them manually via Tools...Map settings.

But... delete those extra languages and voices and I'm willing to bet that you will be able to fit the whole update on the zumo.

Bob

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did mostly what they said. I deleted voice and text in different langauges and now I have the lower 49 installed.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've also installed the portions that won't fit to a SD card.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Latest CN mapset is too big to fit on Zumo drive. By cleaning as described above I was able to put 49 states on the Zumo drive. I put the remainder of NA City Nav maps (AK, Mexico and Canada) on the SD card.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts