GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Durring the install of belley pan the two nut caps under the shifter came off and I can not get the back on. I got the other side on and the front part on
just can not get those nut caps back on. If anyone is on long island N.Y. could help .

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Try putting them in a socket on the end of a 6" extension then putting them in place. Also, make sure that you have the exhaust covers knocked back in place as far as they can go. You may have to give them a good thump with your hand.

·
Registered
384 Posts
As Jeff and MotorcycleBoy, stated!
The crush washers are probably pulled down close to the end of the stud and will not allow the nut to start, just be sure when you push the cover onto the studs, that you also push the washers on also, the as MotorcycleBoy mentioned, use a socket and extension, just be sure and DO NOT cross thread them.
Allen/Tulsa

·
Registered
84 Posts
That is EGGZACLY what happened when I installed my new bellypan a few weeks ago. The washers were near the top of the studs and it is so hard to see up there I just kept trying and trying and trying, well you get the picture... finally got a light and had a look, used the socket without the castle nut in it an gave the end of the extention a slap and presto, the nuts went on like a charm :p
Jim W.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts