GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 with 40k miles. Changed the spark plugs at about 36k last fall. Put in NGK platinums. No problems and then about 2k miles ago got some knocking and pinging. Happened a couple of years ago and used Seafoam with it going away the next day. I changed fuel to Shell/Exxon/Texaco. Used Seafoam and now have a bottle of Octane Boost from Amsoil that I'll try. It only happens in the top end of the gear when i really get on it. My boy and I leave in two weeks for our annual bike trip. Single Dad and don't have the extra $$$ to go to a stealership and get robbed.

Any ideas would greatly help!!!!
Thanks,
Syd

·
Registered
171 Posts
It sounds like you might have a carbon build up problem or a problem with
the knock sensor. Do you have any other things going on other than the ping/knock like the engine running warmer than usual or lack of power,
if you have those issues together you might have a clogged exhaust.
IS THE FI LIGHT ON?...More Info will help !

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope..no lights on. Not much else. Does seem to have a slightly lower mpg. But nothing major.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have you tried using mid-grade or Premium (hi-test) Fuel ?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I live in Arizona and as the weather heats up the problem becomes more obvious. Shouldn't be happening, the the hot weather will make it worse. The Seafoam will help if it's carbon and it could be a knock sensor, there are 2 at about $80 each, it would be good if you could tell which bank the knock is coming from. You could try resetting your ECM. It may have fallen asleep!!

·
Vendor
17,828 Posts
Keep in mind that our gas now has a lot of ethonol in it. In parts of AZ in the summer, don't the change gasses because of polution?

As a base line, it is best to get back to OEM plugs and gas of 86 octane or higher (or whatever octang it says to use in your owners manual) and work from there. Are other GL1800 owners in your area having a similar problem?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw some posts about Techron and going to at least a mid grade fuel. So put half a bottle in this morning and a little over half a tank of mid grade from Chevron. Then went on a 150 mile ride with a buddy on an FJR1300. Decided it might be fun to "burn" that carbon out. It seems that about 80% of the knocking and pinging was gone by the end of the ride. Temps here have been hitting high 90s very consistently for the last month and a half.

I'll continue to try the mid grade and put the Techron in the next tankful. I know a lot of guys on here say only run low octane but I'll tell you I can already tell a difference. In power response too.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
Chevron Techron is the only product I know of that actually can clean up carbon deposits inside the combustion chamber.

Seafoam is good to clean out the fuel system, but it won't clean up the combustion chamber like Techron will.

You'd be smart to change your oil after running Techron through it, because it does seem to thin out the oil as well as wash deposits down into it.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
I saw some posts about Techron and going to at least a mid grade fuel. So put half a bottle in this morning and a little over half a tank of mid grade from Chevron. Then went on a 150 mile ride with a buddy on an FJR1300. Decided it might be fun to "burn" that carbon out. It seems that about 80% of the knocking and pinging was gone by the end of the ride. Temps here have been hitting high 90s very consistently for the last month and a half.

I'll continue to try the mid grade and put the Techron in the next tankful. I know a lot of guys on here say only run low octane but I'll tell you I can already tell a difference. In power response too.
If you notice an improvement in power with mid grade, that means the knock sensors are working. When an engine detects knocking, it retards the ignition timing, which hurts performance.

The midgrade won't hurt anything but your wallet. But you should be able to go back to regular after the Techron and the carbon deposits are gone.

If you cruise around town at low rpm, try raising your cruising rpm a little bit. I have periods where my only riding is commuting, and that means a lot of riding around town in 5th gear. I found that this seems to allow carbon to buildup. After the Techron cleaned it up and got rid of the knocking, I started making sure I never cruise below 2,000 rpm, and the pinging hasn't returned. It doesn't require a big adjustment in your riding style.

A full bottle of Techron treats 12 gallons, so make sure you split it up over 2 tankfuls.

Opening it up once in awhile when the opportunity arises helps too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Your adding way to many additives in a small period of time. Gasoline and oils already have the best blends in them. You just don't see many carbon built ups any more. Some wings ping have your valves checked may need adjustment. Additives can hurt your censors and a lot of other thing if you use them too much.:doorag:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Run whar ever cleaner you choose throught. IF that doesn't work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There was a thread here with what seem to be close to the same symptoms. The answer was "Knock Sensors".

Wings are low compression engines. Upping the octane is a waste of effort and your money in all but the most rare of cases. Folks tell you they use hi test stuff and it is the only way to go, but all it is all a feel good promotion from them.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
Your adding way to many additives in a small period of time. Gasoline and oils already have the best blends in them. You just don't see many carbon built ups any more. Some wings ping have your valves checked may need adjustment. Additives can hurt your censors and a lot of other thing if you use them too much.:doorag:
I agree with you in principle that people are way too hung up on additives. For the most part they are a waste of money, and sometimes potentially damaging. I usually avoid them like the plague.

And yes, pinging it far less a problem today than it was three decades ago. But it hasn't been eliminated, and there are a lot of GL1800's that ping. I have always suspected that having a large engine on a small motorcycle prevents the engine from being stressed enough to blow out carbon during normal riding.

Techron works in eliminating carbon buildup and the resulting pinging. My bike had gotten to the point where the pinging was so bad it was potentially damaging to the engine. It was three years ago that I ran a bottle of Techron, and the bike has been ping free ever since. They use the same fuel injector cleaning chemicals that the oil companies use in their fuel. You are just giving your fuel a higher density dose for a short period of time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far it seems to have eliminated about 85% of the pinging. If it hadn't changed anything than I would have presumed that it was valves or knock sensors. I'll stick with the mid grade and see how it handles. If it goes back to what it was doing than I'll have to look more into it. I do have 40k miles on it. So need to get the valves checked. Just hate to think how much a stealorship is gonna charge for that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still having the problem. Went to NC ( Deal's Gap ) last month for a week and didn't hear it at all. Makes me really wonder about the fuel now. Back in strong force now. Could have something to do with our very high temps in Dallas this year. I'm switching to only Chevron/Texaco since they have Techron. Wondering if plugs need to be changed. I changed them last year but wondering if the ethanol or fuel problems gummed them up. Never have gotten an engine light on and only get it once the engine warms up a few minutes into the ride. Then I only get it if I get more than 50% of throttle.

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
If the problem keeps returning, you may want to be more picky about what brands of fuel you buy.

But I have a question. How low do you run your rpm's. When I had the problem, all I did was raise my cruising rpm by a few hundred, and the pinging never came back.

You may also have a bad injector. low fuel pressure, or some other failure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't ride it lightly:thumbup: So that's probably not it.

Have 1/2 a tank and will fill up with premium at Chevron today. All the posts I've seen about this talk about fuel. With no sensor lights on kind of ruling out the knock sensors. Not having the problem while I was in NC made me really wonder about fuel and severe heat. We have had record breaking heat this year and riding home around 110. Plugs were replaced but could be an injector too. Gonna lean on the fuel issue and try that. I haven't used discount gas for awhile now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure which worked the best but here's what I did. Got down to 1/4 tank and filled it up with Chevron super. Then added Lucas fuel injector to the tank. I could tell a difference in the 22 mile ride home. The next two days of rides I could really tell a difference. Added another tank of super from Chevron and I would say the knocking is about 90 % gone. Still very slight at top of 4th maybe 5th gear but can also tell a difference in response.

Not sure which one but I will only use Chevron ( one two blocks from where I work ) and will carry Lucas on the road if I have a long trip where it might be hard to find.

Thanks!!!!!! Much happier camper.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Not sure which worked the best but here's what I did. Got down to 1/4 tank and filled it up with Chevron super. Then added Lucas fuel injector to the tank. I could tell a difference in the 22 mile ride home. The next two days of rides I could really tell a difference. Added another tank of super from Chevron and I would say the knocking is about 90 % gone. Still very slight at top of 4th maybe 5th gear but can also tell a difference in response.

Not sure which one but I will only use Chevron ( one two blocks from where I work ) and will carry Lucas on the road if I have a long trip where it might be hard to find.

Thanks!!!!!! Much happier camper.:thumbup::thumbup:
Was the lucas you added the "deep clean"?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
A little detonation under heavy load is normal. It tells you your engine is timed properly. Adjusting the valves will not eliminate detonation. If you are running a good quality fuel, 87 octane, you will not carbon up the engine, even at low rpm's. Keeping rpm above 2K is wasting fuel. My opinion.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts