GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding along on interstate and cruise won't set. Had this happen before so needed to determine which switch it might be. Pushed on front brake then tried to set, no go. Next did the same to the clutch, again no luck. Lightly tapped the rear brake, tried to set cruise and it held.

So figured I had determined which switch. Then the problem started. Bike slowed down, but still had power. Immediately pulled off to the side. No smell of burning brakes. Could not move bike when in neutral. Brake pedal would not go up or down. After 10 minutes of pushing the pedal up and down it started to move. Put the bike in first and it moved. Now at the Billings dealership. Yes, did the brake recall.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Maybe over-serviced rear master cylinder? Heating up and expanding fluid to the rear brakes. My guess...

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Riding along on interstate and cruise won't set. Had this happen before so needed to determine which switch it might be. Pushed on front brake then tried to set, no go. Next did the same to the clutch, again no luck. Lightly tapped the rear brake, tried to set cruise and it held.

So figured I had determined which switch. Then the problem started. Bike slowed down, but still had power. Immediately pulled off to the side. No smell of burning brakes. Could not move bike when in neutral. Brake pedal would not go up or down. After 10 minutes of pushing the pedal up and down it started to move. Put the bike in first and it moved. Now at the Billings dealership. Yes, did the brake recall.

Any ideas on what the problem is?
I've heard of some of them that passed the recall still locked up rear brake. :shrug:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard of some of them that passed the recall still locked up rear brake. :shrug:

Well, it was the secondary master brake cylinder. Yes, had it checked when recall was announced, but can still have the problem!! Fortunately we are in Billing, MT at a good dealership. Guess I will be here until Tuesday when the part arrives. So much for the rest of our trip.

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Sounds to me like your rear brake pedal did not fully return when you tapped the rear brake. This will cause the return port in the rear brake master cylinder to be blocked, and then as the brake fluid heats and expands, it applies the rear brake instead of returning to the rear brake reservoir.

This would also explain why your cruise would not engage. If the brake lever was slightly depressed and didn't return fully, then the cruise cancel switch would be activated.

I'd do a very thorough inspection of the rear brake pedal and rear brake master cylinder. It could also be a blockage in the master cylinder return port.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Check the return spring .... rear mast cyl.jpg

·
Registered
546 Posts
Towing service

A week or two ago someone posted a 60 month towing contract that would take you to the Nearest Honda shop no matter how far. Anyone remember what it was?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Honda Roadside Assistance Contract

You can buy them from any Honda dealer or on-line from HDL or other dealers. About $120 if I remember right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts