GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there using this pakit rak? On the web site (below) it looks like a keen product if you do not want to go the luggage rack route. If you have one, let me know how you like it.

Have had a few responses from riders on other forums that it looks like a good product, and some guys are using similar products, but can't seem to find anyone with this particular unit installed. It attaches to the subframe-the assembly which holds the tupperware side bags in place, so is there a concern with additional stress on the sub assembly?

Thanks in advance!
Doug

http://www.dixonymachine.com

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have used the Pakit Rak with the Nelson Rigg bag several times since Oct last year and really like it. The bag is very secure yet easily comes off to take to your motel room. I used to take my trailer for weekend overnighters as the wife does not pack light, but now it's just the Pakit Rak. It's a very well made product.

PS. Get the rain cover as it will keep the road dust off the bag.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Doug,
I would be cautious about this. With the sub frame supporting the weight, that it is NOT designed for and loaded will put about as much weight on it as a trailer would.
If you want to go this route, I'd get a Bushtec Hitch and their cooler rack, modify it to carry a bag of this type. MHO
Allen

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you want peace of mind regarding the sub frame go with the Bushtec hitch, as it attachés to the sub frame and mainframe but supports the weight from the mainframe. IMHO it's the best hitch out there. The majority of the other hitches only attach to the sub frame. I don't think the Pakit-Rak will put the stress on the sub frame that a trailer would so it's just a matter of how high your worry factor is.
In either case, whether you add a Bushtec hitch or the adapter, I would still recommend the Pakit-Rak

1 - 4 of 4 Posts