GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour 1394 miles. At 945 milesI changed the oil at the advice of my salesman along with clutch filter , oil filter and 4.9 quarts Honda Gn-4 10W-30W oil.Filters, crush rings and O-ring Honda OEM. Clutch filter went in rubber seal sideup. Warm engine oil is 2/3 between low and full mark on the dipstick.
The bike has started to not want to shift from neutral intodrive. It did it first time after a long ride shortly after oil change. It took between 10 to 15 tries of pushing n and d. I turned the ignition off and back on, It would go into walk mode, forward and reverse but no drive. After reading here on the forum about reinitializing the DCT clutch I did that. It seamed to help but when pushing the D sometimes it would hesitate before going into drive.
Fast forward, My wife and I are on an extended motorcycle trip and we pulled our trailer yesterday with no problems. Today with out the trailer we rode about 250 miles and stopped for lunch. We came out and the bike would not go into drive, walk mode yes Drive no. Would not go into manual shift or let me get into reinitializing the clutch. After many tries, starting on and off rolling finally in about 30 minutes of trying it did and we drove about 75 miles Had to make a rest stop about 60 miles from no where in the mountains. Did the same thing all over again. Once it shifts into drive it runs great shifts great, down shifts. We got back to the room tonight and we ARE BOTH STRESSED. I did do the clutch thing again with the same results. Some time it shifts sometimes it wont go into drive. I have no confidence in my new Goldwing.
This is not what I bought this bike for. There is a Honda dealership 2 hour ride from here. The plan is to go there or cut this vacation short and try to get home. If I do go to the shop I thought I would have the oil and filters changed again?
ANY HELP will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Where are you at?

·
Registered
794 Posts
The oil should check full if you added 4.9 quarts. However, you must run the engine while on the center stand, not place the bike on the center stand not running, & it should be warm. If it was running while on the side stand then shut down & placed on the center stand it will not read correct since some of the oil will be caught in side voids in the engine. This has been covered here before. :serious:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You didn't say so I'll ask. I assume you're shifting into N before shutting down, is this correct? :serious:
Yes Sir Shift to N Kill the motor with the off switch on the handle bar and then turn the ignition to the left twice to lock her up.

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
If it was me.. I’d disconnect the battery for a minute or two, then reconnect whilst making double sure the connections are tight... then run the DCT initialization procedure.. after that is done turn off bike, wait a few minutes then start the bike and go for a short ride to make sure it is running right... not saying I t will work, but that’s what I’d do.....

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it was me.. I’d disconnect the battery for a minute or two, then reconnect whilst making double sure the connections are tight... then run the DCT initialization procedure.. after that is done turn off bike, wait a few minutes then start the bike and go for a short ride to make sure it is running right... not saying I t will work, but that’s what I’d do.....

Mattbcnv

Ill try that. Sounds Like a good reboot.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If neutral is not selected when you turn the ignition switchto ON: uTurn the ignition OFF and ON again. You may hear (click) noises when the transmission shifts toNeutral (N). This is normal. If the Neutral (N) is still not selected after turningthe ignition switch on, start the engine while applying the brake with side stand raised.

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me this started after the oil and filter change.

I am thinking riding thte4 hours tomorrow to the dealership and back. Have them look it over and change oil and filters again. Try to salv age what I can of this trip.

·
Love The DCT
12,003 Posts
The oil should check full if you added 4.9 quarts. However, you must run the engine while on the center stand, not place the bike on the center stand not running, & it should be warm. If it was running while on the side stand then shut down & placed on the center stand it will not read correct since some of the oil will be caught in side voids in the engine. This has been covered here before. :serious:
Ok, Al. How do you check the oil level on a base wing that does not have a center stand? Your above statement is not totally correct. On a new wing without a center stand, you run the engine with the bike on the side stand for 5 minutes. You turn the bike off, wait 2 to 3 minutes, then place the bike in an upright position and check the oil level.

Even on a bike with a center stand, it is not necessary to place it on the center stand when running the bike for 5 minutes to warm the oil up.

:doorag:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts