GL1800Riders Forums banner

Help Please! Turn Signal and Brake Lights Out (very Dim)

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  scanners 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have an 05 GL1800A and this weekend all of my back lights stopped working to include the turn signals. All of the lights are extremely dim (almost non existent) and none of them work when applying brakes or turn signal doesn't work as well. When I apply the brakes, both turn signal indicators light up on the dash. I have checked all fuses and can't find any blown ones, volt meter shows normal current,
Any suggestions... I sure would hate to bring to dealer and pay $150 per hour just for diagnosis...

Thanks a bunch

Scott

#2 ·
Sounds like an open ground. I think the main frame ground under the saddle would do that but some much more knowledgeable than I will chime in soon if you don't find the problem there.

#4 ·
Thanks for the answers, it looks like it might be the culprit with 2 answers being the same idea. I will pull off the seat tonight and take a look at the wires, I am a real novice and not a mechanic by any means... but what the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have a really stupid question, when you say run a search, is there something I need to be searching with? Sorry for the stupid question, however I really don't know.

#5 ·
Bad ground

There's a wiring harness under the passenger seat area, right side. Pull the rubber boot and look at the connector. Common problem, green ground wire gets corroded at connector, tends to discolor and melt the connector. Run a jumper wire around the connector (connect both sides of the ground wire with a jumper). You should be good to go.

#6 ·
Thanks for the answers, it looks like it might be the culprit with 2 answers being the same idea. I will pull off the seat tonight and take a look at the wires, I am a real novice and not a mechanic by any means... but what the heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have a really stupid question, when you say run a search, is there something I need to be searching with? Sorry for the stupid question, however I really don't know.
This might help. It's the green wire in C15 in this picture.

#7 ·
Looks like you found your answer. I was with a group of three wings leaving Newcastle WY headed to Sturgis. We were rolling out at first light when the guy pulling a Kwik Kamp trailer complained that all of his lights looked very dim. After trouble shooting for a half hour, I looked at him and told him it might improve if he removed his dark sunglasses. True story.:lol:

#8 ·
The forum has a search function. If you put in ouple of keywords that seem to relate to the issue you are having you might find an answer that way. I have mixed luck, probably because my choice of keywords is poor.

If you have problem, feel free to post! Most will go the distance to help you out.

Let us know how the fix goes.

Hector

#10 ·
thank you, thank you, thank you, but I wish I would have found this info before I disconnected everything first.
but instead of jumping I used electrical contact cleaner and it seems to do the trick which can be picked up at radio shack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.