GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here goes. I have a 2007 Wing. After reading and talking to a few people here I decided to upgrade my speakers to Polk db501 rears and Polk db651 front.

I am frustrated and feeling about as smart as a post right now. The rears went in no problem. The fronts are not even close, the speaker frame and hole pattern are substantially larger then the stock speakers. It isnt just a matter of the holes not lining up, I can't even get the speaker seated in the opening.

Advice, direction, and at this point even smart ass remarks are welcomed!

TY
Rick

SEE THE LAST POST IN THREAD FOR PICS!

·
Registered
2002 Honda Goldwing Gl1800
512 Posts
I read some were you may have to cut them and drill new holes to get them in.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
1. you have to trim metal on both the sides,all the way to the foam part of the speakers.
2.I used a rat tail file to open the mounting holes bigger,I am sure you could use a drill also.
3.You have to install the speaker upside down,So the word polk is upside down.

Hope that help.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I JUST NOTICED ON THE CRUTCHFIELD SITE THERE ARE 2 db651's.

One is the standard db651, and the other is "shallow mount" and is the db651s. I wonder if we should be getting the shallow mount?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I JUST NOTICED ON THE CRUTCHFIELD SITE THERE ARE 2 db651's.

One is the standard db651, and the other is "shallow mount" and is the db651s. I wonder if we should be getting the shallow mount?

Ive got the standard db651s in the front. Item#107db651.

Rick, I got your PM. Can you confirm you got the same SKU from Crutchfield? Also can you post a couple of pictures of the inside of the speaker holes in the fairings, as well as the back of your db651 speakers? Something seems odd.

While mr scootin and I both admit to having to file/shave the lugs back a bit to get the speakers in, and of course orienting the speakers so Polk is upside down, I know I was able to get the speakers in my 2006.

Is your 2007 an airbag model? I wonder if there is something different in your fairing.

Jason

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last Polk at the install

Ive got the standard db651s in the front. Item#107db651.

Rick, I got your PM. Can you confirm you got the same SKU from Crutchfield? Also can you post a couple of pictures of the inside of the speaker holes in the fairings, as well as the back of your db651 speakers? Something seems odd.

While mr scootin and I both admit to having to file/shave the lugs back a bit to get the speakers in, and of course orienting the speakers so Polk is upside down, I know I was able to get the speakers in my 2006.

Is your 2007 an airbag model? I wonder if there is something different in your fairing.

Jason
Jason, yes I have the same sku 107DB651 . and I have oriented the polk label so it is upside down. I have a 2007 no airbag, I have taken some pics, It seems to be the back of the speakers that is the problem. But from what I can see even if I got them in the speaker holes arent even close to lining up and the bottom of the speaker would extend too far down and interfere with the meter panel. Unless someone has some info for me I am thinking about ordering another set of 501s and installing them in the front! I am so frustrated!!! Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Rick,

I was looking hard at that first picture you took trying to remember if the metal bracket on my 2006 had 2 sets (8 holes) in total. I'm wondering if your 2007 came with a different bracket. I'd find that hard to believe, but it looks like the speaker hole may very well be sized for the db501 5" speaker, and not the 6-1/2" speakers. Or could there be something different between my US 2006, and your Canadian 2007? Something different with a 2007 and the comfort package?

Did anyone reading this thread who replaced your speakers notice anything different than what we're seeing??

I pulled off the dash panel to take another look. You can see on the right speaker right where it hits the instrument cluster that there's a "dent" where I had to force the speaker in. There is a similar compression of the metal frame of the db651 on the left-hand side, but it seems to be spread over a larger area.

There's some discussion over putting Polyfill in behind, and i've read that some HD owners have put Dynamat in the fairing behind their speakers to enhance bass response. I'm not so sure about whether that works, but if it does, i'm game and will pull off my speakers and do the same. I'll have to take another look and see whether the bracket on my 2006 is in fact smaller, and only has the 4 holes for a 6-1/2" speaker.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Jay, Mine is the 2007 comfort (Canadian model) I'd love to see the size of your speaker opening and the back of one of your speakers!

TY

Hey Rick,

I was looking hard at that first picture you took trying to remember if the metal bracket on my 2006 had 2 sets (8 holes) in total. I'm wondering if your 2007 came with a different bracket. I'd find that hard to believe, but it looks like the speaker hole may very well be sized for the db501 5" speaker, and not the 6-1/2" speakers. Or could there be something different between my US 2006, and your Canadian 2007? Something different with a 2007 and the comfort package?

Did anyone reading this thread who replaced your speakers notice anything different than what we're seeing??

I pulled off the dash panel to take another look. You can see on the right speaker right where it hits the instrument cluster that there's a "dent" where I had to force the speaker in. There is a similar compression of the metal frame of the db651 on the left-hand side, but it seems to be spread over a larger area.

There's some discussion over putting Polyfill in behind, and i've read that some HD owners have put Dynamat in the fairing behind their speakers to enhance bass response. I'm not so sure about whether that works, but if it does, i'm game and will pull off my speakers and do the same. I'll have to take another look and see whether the bracket on my 2006 is in fact smaller, and only has the 4 holes for a 6-1/2" speaker.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Jay, Mine is the 2007 comfort (Canadian model) I'd love to see the size of your speaker opening and the back of one of your speakers!

TY
I may be doing this tonight. I'm really curious as to the size of the bracket now.

Also, i'll take the opportunity to solder the leads this time, and stuff some Polyfill into the speaker enclosure. I did some more research on this, and its used by some audiophiles to artificially increase the volume of air that's behind the speaker, increasing the bass response. Which of course, is all good!

Jason

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've got some bad news for you Rick, and for others looking to upgrade your front speakers to the Polk db651's. There appear to be two different brackets/speaker enclosures for the 2006+ bikes. Not sure why there's a difference.

It appears for some, you'll be able to fit 6-1/2" speakers (like the Polk db651's) in the fronts, and others you'll have to put 5" speakers (like the Polk db501's) as are in the rear.

I took out my db651's and here's the bracket I have.

Here's the speaker that I had in my wing.

And for anyone who wants to try to stuff the speaker box itself with Polyfill, here's how it looks in mine.

As far as the sound quality goes before/after the Polyfill. The jury is still out on this one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TY Jay I was starting to doubt my mechanical skills! Our speakers are the same but my bracket is significantly smaller. An expensive lesson learned, hope nobody else gets caught in the same situation!

Everyone who posted thanks for your help!

I've got some bad news for you Rick, and for others looking to upgrade your front speakers to the Polk db651's. There appear to be two different brackets/speaker enclosures for the 2006+ bikes. Not sure why there's a difference.

It appears for some, you'll be able to fit 6-1/2" speakers (like the Polk db651's) in the fronts, and others you'll have to put 5" speakers (like the Polk db501's) as are in the rear.

I took out my db651's and here's the bracket I have.

Here's the speaker that I had in my wing.

And for anyone who wants to try to stuff the speaker box itself with Polyfill, here's how it looks in mine.

As far as the sound quality goes before/after the Polyfill. The jury is still out on this one.

·
Registered
456 Posts
"TY Jay I was starting to doubt my mechanical skills! Our speakers are the same but my bracket is significantly smaller. An expensive lesson learned, hope nobody else gets caught in the same situation!"

Surely someone on the forum will need some already modified 601's to help you cut your loss there?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"TY Jay I was starting to doubt my mechanical skills! Our speakers are the same but my bracket is significantly smaller. An expensive lesson learned, hope nobody else gets caught in the same situation!"

Surely someone on the forum will need some already modified 601's to help you cut your loss there?

Possibly but I did quite a bit of grinding on the one I was trying to fit in! Going to order another pair of db501 for the front, sometimes you're the windshield sometimes you're the bug! And I thought it was too cold to be the bug!

·
Registered
20,029 Posts
Rick pointed me to this thread while trying to explain his speaker problem to me. Strange does not even begin to describe this. (nice pictures by the way guys.)

I noticed that the discrepancy still had not been resolved, so I looked into it further.

The parts exploded view shows the 6 1/2" speaker and the mounting plate with the larger hole. It also shows the older 5" whizzer cone speaker along with a smaller plate. But the plot thickens.

The parts list itself does not show a part # for the smaller speaker, nor does it show a part# for the smaller bracket. What's more, the exploded view for the airbag model does not show the smaller speaker or plate in the exploded view.

Since there are no parts numbers for the smaller speakers or plates, I think it is a near certainty that the smaller speakers were only used on Canadian bikes. (It is the same for 2006-2010.)

There is a little bit of good news however. It appears you can buy the 6 1/2" plates. The part numbers are 64237-MCA-A70 and 64247-MCA-A70

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rick pointed me to this thread while trying to explain his speaker problem to me. Strange does not even begin to describe this. (nice pictures by the way guys.)

I noticed that the discrepancy still had not been resolved, so I looked into it further.

The parts exploded view shows the 6 1/2" speaker and the mounting plate with the larger hole. It also shows the older 5" whizzer cone speaker along with a smaller plate. But the plot thickens.

The parts list itself does not show a part # for the smaller speaker, nor does it show a part# for the smaller bracket. What's more, the exploded view for the airbag model does not show the smaller speaker or plate in the exploded view.

Since there are no parts numbers for the smaller speakers or plates, I think it is a near certainty that the smaller speakers were only used on Canadian bikes. (It is the same for 2006-2010.)

There is a little bit of good news however. It appears you can buy the 6 1/2" plates. The part numbers are 64237-MCA-A70 and 64247-MCA-A70
TY Larry, wonder what Honda Canada will soak me for those!!!!!! and how can I tell if I have the external amp that the premium sound wings have?

·
Registered
20,029 Posts
I am guessing that you can't get them through a Honda Canada dealer since it isn't a part for a Canadian Wing. You can order them from HDL. The price isw $23.87 US each .

Keep in mind that since you now know what the problem is, you can always draw a 6 inch circle and cut out the hole. It looks like the holes for the larger speakers are already there.

I tried to find a Canadian parts list, but can't find anything to verify whether or not the Canadian bikes have the external amp. All the Canadian specs say is 80 watt stereo. That could be 20x4, which would mean it is the old system.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am guessing that you can't get them through a Honda Canada dealer since it isn't a part for a Canadian Wing. You can order them from HDL. The price isw $23.87 US each .

Keep in mind that since you now know what the problem is, you can always draw a 6 inch circle and cut out the hole. It looks like the holes for the larger speakers are already there.

I tried to find a Canadian parts list, but can't find anything to verify whether or not the Canadian bikes have the external amp. All the Canadian specs say is 80 watt stereo. That could be 20x4, which would mean it is the old system.

Not sure how much room there is underneath, How can I check to see about the external amp!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.