GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio on my 02 quit working this evening,,,, the unit now stays on even though the switch is off.... all the audio lights are lit up like switch is on, but its off and radio does not work at all.... any suggestions,,, thanks, Bob

just fixed problem,,, just unhooked battery, that reset radio,, all is fine now,,, thanks, Bob

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just saw your post same thing happened to my 03 last year. Had to do the something to get it working. Never found out what caused it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for the info. So when traveling I need to unplug the mp3 before I use the auto program button? It happened to me when I traveled to north Carolina.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,287 Posts
Thanks for the info. So when traveling I need to unplug the mp3 before I use the auto program button? It happened to me when I traveled to north Carolina.
Maybe, Pedro is the expert on the MP3 players and their little quirks. Send him a PM. :thumbup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Copied from a past post don't remember who or when but should be helpful...

1. The A.SEL button (or UM1 on some models) may cause a lockup or crash of the GoldWing Audio System. The A.SEL button was tested on my 2008 "non-NAV/Airbag with premium audio system" GoldWing and this problem was NOT observed. A well written description of the problem and the recovery was sent to me recently by Charles Wells:
"I have not had a chance to get back to the issue with the JMDM-GL18 until yesterday. I spent quite a while trying to determine what is causing the unit to lock up my audio system. As it turns out I discovered that on my 2001 GL1800 the (A.SEL) button is the culprit. Every time I push the (A.SEL) button with the JMDM unit playing, the unit locks up my sound system immediately, every time I tested it. I know what you’re thinking, “don’t push the (A.SEL) button” as there is no reason to automatically select radio stations while listening to the CD player (JMDM). The (A.SEL) works fine when finding the radio stations, everything works fine with the whole system, unless I hit the (A.SEL) button while the JMDM is playing. Then it’s just like throwing a switch and none of the other buttons or controls work on the entire audio system. I guess when I installed the unit and tried it I just randomly selected the controls of the audio system to make sure everything was working right. I know not to push the (A.SEL) button now, but it is still a problem if I ever hit it accidentally, It means that a complete reset, including pulling the battery cable is required to reset the unit. If you ever develop a “fix” for this, please send me one. In the meantime, I am going to try and identify the relay that is locking in and see if I can put a switch in that circuit so that I can reset the system on the go." Basically pressing the A.SEL button locks up (crashes) the GL1800 music system computer and requires a battery disconnect or fuse removal to reset in many cases. I think what is happening is the A.SEL (Rpt/ROM) must send a command to the Honda CDROM drive expecting a response. The response never returns because the DMC or JMDM doesn't support the command. The GL1800 audio control computer (made by Panasonic) simply waits forever for a response, and since it's connected to the GL1800 power system (keep-alive memory retention) it cannot service any other commands from any other buttons that are pressed. A complete power reset is the only recovery (disconnect battery or remove fuse).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts