GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, looking for relatively low cost / quick way to raise my height in my seat up by 3 or 4 inches.

My back and hips are problematic and I'm getting constant cramps in the corners where my legs meet my hips. I did a funky test today and sat on two phone books to raise my height in relation to my pegs. It made a big difference and I didn't cramp.

Any ideas on what I can do? Sitting on two phone books looks dumb and wasn't as soft as I'd like.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Probably your cheapest way is get one of those famous Wal-Mart cushions, but it won't raise you that much. You might need two of them,

or better yet, take your seat to an upholstery shop and have them add some memory foam to the seat. If nothing else, the best way and the most expensive is a custom seat. This is on e-bay but they are twice as expensive there.

·
Registered
609 Posts
what I did was find a upholster shop supplier shop and get a 5 inch piece of memory form. carry a pattern for the to cut to your likes.
next,I got a piece of lamb skin off e-bay ,took it to upholster and let the sew the skin on memory form.
Then I went to Wahl-mart an purchased the seat cushion(19.95) and with all of this I had a lazyboy seat and it raised the seat up a good riding level due to screwed up total knee replacement operation(have about 1/2 bend of knee movement)
One word of advice,try not to let the lamb skin get wet if possible as it pretty soggy until you hang it out to dry or put in dryer on COOL CYCLE ONLY.
If I see that it going to rain/ sit outside at nite,I carry some large trash bags to cover it or put a cover over it( i even cover the seat with plastic bag as the cover is not completely waterproof either.)
If you should go this way,make sure that you add some way to keep someone from"" walking away with seat""
I had the upholster sew a long pigtail with grommet on end ran though the passenger seat handle bar with a lock to keep in place. matching keyed small locks is a plus!!
if you have any questions, or want pictures ,please pm me
edmund

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I have the same problem, but solved it the expensive way by buying and trying out 5 different seats, the last being a Corbin Really, Really Big Boy Seat and it does the job. My second best seat was a Russell Day Long to which I added 4 of the Super WalMart pads to raise me up for a higher, softer ride. That's the first thing I would try if I were you. Get four pads for about $80 and gently remove the cardboard so that if you want, you can return them for a refund. Consolidate the four pads into two covers, turning the waffle sides down so that they won't catch rain. Give it a try on the road and see how it works. If still not high enough, try more covers or a folded towel beneath them. If it works for you, see if you can find an upholsterer who can put them into the seat or just use them on top.

The other thing that works with or without a higher seat is a set of Mick-O-Pegs that let you stretch your feet down.

Check out the links in my signature for other ideas that might be of use.

Good luck.

·
Registered
440 Posts
For an inexpensive solution, try an Airhawk cushion (or walmart cushion - maybe 2 of them), and add some seat beads on top. Not sure it will give you 3-4 inches, but the airhawk and beads raise me up a couple of inches at least - much more comfortable. Plus, sometimes just changing the position really helps. I'll ride for a while with both cushion and beads, then take the beads off for a while.

Much cheaper than a custom seat - and will help figure out how much you want to raise up when/if you do decide to dump $$$$ into a seat upgrade.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
pUT SOME HIGHWAY PEGS ON IT TO GET YOUR LEGS OUT FROM UNDER
YOU......... :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts